Any Updates?

onodoken

• 3 weeks later...

Why developers still open up forums years before the game has any hope of a release date is still a mystery.

Why waste the gamers enthusiasm !

Spare me the “when its ready” or a link to some 1-2 month old post. I have a full time job and family just as all of you and I can find the time to post a few words on forums., and I don’t stand to gain a monetary value to do so.

How is it that a developer is to busy to post on their own fan forum,

get serious :rolleyes:

Its like running a retail store and putting a new product in a display window , but when the consumer comes into the store to inquire about the item, you proceed to either ignore them entirely or just silently point to a poster stating

“ WHEN ITS READY “

Originally posted by WindyCity:

Why developers still open up forums years before the game has any hope of a release date is still a mystery.

Spare me the “when its ready” or a link to some 1-2 month old post. I have a full time job and family just as all of you and I can find the time to post a few words on forums., and I don’t stand to gain a monetary value to do so.

get serious :rolleyes:

Its like running a retail store and putting a new product in a display window , but when the consumer comes into the store to inquire about the item, you proceed to either ignore them entirely or just silently point to a poster stating

“ WHEN ITS READY “

That is just so true ..... no small wonder the grown up wargamer gives up on this bull**** and rightly so ! What a waste of opportunities ..... :(

I do agree! The times when compuper related things has it's own marketing logic is probably gone. Time to study some marketing beside C++ I guess.

And, as someome mentioned, it's stupid not to uppgrade CMBB! To reuse an old game without fixing all the things that easily can be fixed (at least up to CMAK standard) is just plaín crazy. People should want to play CMBB as well as CMC if this should be a succes.

Although I agree to some of the comments posted as a long time CM player and customer Battlefront's products are equal to none. I can't for the life of me play Company of Heroes from the 500 pound gorilla MS and compare it to ANY of the CM series game from this small company that are grognards themselves to a million dollar studio.

But in essence I do believe that a little update is in order. ;)

get serious [Roll Eyes]

“ WHEN ITS READY “

I suspect that when this game was first announced that they thought that they could deliver it waaay before now and that some pretty major hiccup has occurred that has slowed it down ... lots. Give the guy a break, there are only so many ways he can tell you that it is not ready and that he is trying his best to rectify the situation. It could be a lot worse, he could pull an all too common stunt in the software industry and just release it, problems and all. When I bought HOI it took four patches before I worked out how to exit the program - I never needed to prior to the last patch that I bothered downloading, it would crash before I was ready to shut it down. It still sits there on my shelf, gathering dust - I should just use it as a coaster, it is not much use for anything else.

Maybe he should just post something saying that the delays are going to be quite long, but then he risks losing all attention for the game - seems like a lose lose set of choices to me.

There isn't any attention to lose.

If they have simply abandoned the project, then you might try to argue they are doing the right thing. Otherwise they should talk about where they are. Personally, I think they should talk about where they are even if they have abandoned the project. Which I hope they haven't, of course.

As far as CMBB being outdated and dead I beg to differ. To me CMBB and CMAK are the pinnacle and the grail of tactical WWII computer wargaming. Graphics are dated but adequate almost 9 years from the venerable CMBO. I installed Comapny of Heroes played the tutorials and unistalled it. It lack the level of realism that I find again and again in CM.

I would love to see CM with the graphics of CoH but would'nt we all. In the meantime CM has lasted more than any other program in my PC and it will remain so for years to come. CMC would add a dimension of play that I have been waiting for years and if I have to wait a few months to purchase a quality product so be it.

I guess that CM apeals to my tabletop hexboards and miniatures without the mess and having the facility to play with others around the world makes it even better.

Long live Combat Mission! LOL!

I think they should talk about where they are even if they have abandoned the project.
The only problem with this is that it assumes they know where they are.

It seems they are in the state of the game is suppose to be done, is running, but not working right. We should figure it out soon ... but maybe not.

Originally posted by Ted:

Outdated?

There are several new CMBB/CMAK tournments being started up at the Band of Brothers website.

In fact there are not only tournaments but Campaigns as well.

I think the games won't be outdated until CMx2 comes out.

No one ever said that the game was dead, and I for sure will probably buy CMC when it's here, but I'm not sure we are enough for making a "market" for the game. They will need a lot of new players so I think it's essential to give CMBB a face lift.

Originally posted by JasonC:

There isn't any attention to lose.

If they have simply abandoned the project, then you might try to argue they are doing the right thing. Otherwise they should talk about where they are. Personally, I think they should talk about where they are even if they have abandoned the project. Which I hope they haven't, of course.

They cannot do that.

Obviously the chance that the project makes it is not 100%, and not the 99% that you can have at best. Let's say it is 90%. Then posting progress reports is a bad thing, because it makes people hotter and hotter for the game, and in the event that the 10% chance hits they are devastated and so disappointed that it is bad for the publisher.

Originally posted by onodoken:

As far as CMBB being outdated and dead I beg to differ. To me CMBB and CMAK are the pinnacle and the grail of tactical WWII computer wargaming. Graphics are dated but adequate almost 9 years from the venerable CMBO.

Who cares about the graphics?

There are things severely wrong, such as some important armor values. The bogus bogging chances, exhaustion rates, turn rates have even been improved in CMAK, but never back to CMBB.

Then there is the whole complex of standing shooter/moving target and vice versa which obviously has hit probabilities screwed up, invisible artillery impacts, SMG squad firing off all their ammo than they historically could, stupid wire spotters and a whole bag more.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Redwolf - err, they already did that by having this forum area...

Yeah, but they might have opened the forum when they thought they have a 99% chance of finishing the game. Now they lost a team member and have delay and if they are down to 90 or 80% it would not be wise to fuel the expectation fire. But they can't close the forum either.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by onodoken:

As far as CMBB being outdated and dead I beg to differ. To me CMBB and CMAK are the pinnacle and the grail of tactical WWII computer wargaming. Graphics are dated but adequate almost 9 years from the venerable CMBO.

Who cares about the graphics?

There are things severely wrong, such as some important armor values. The bogus bogging chances, exhaustion rates, turn rates have even been improved in CMAK, but never back to CMBB.

Then there is the whole complex of standing shooter/moving target and vice versa which obviously has hit probabilities screwed up, invisible artillery impacts, SMG squad firing off all their ammo than they historically could, stupid wire spotters and a whole bag more. </font>