so, who's happy?

Even though I was predicting normandy 1944, I was secretly hoping for middle east 1967, 1973. To me, this is the next best thing.

Battlefront does modern desert warfare! :eek:

M1 Abrams v. T72 & T55's! :D

F-18E's and F-16's flying CAP missions! ;)

Apache helicopters riding shotgun! :cool:

And anyone who thinks the Syrians will be pushovers should study the Yom Kippur/Ramadan war or ask a current member of the IDF.

So yes, I am really looking forward to this game and I am very happy that Battlefront realises there is life after 1945! tongue.gif

[ October 09, 2005, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: JC_Hare ]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not hardly, if not due to numbers alone. If the Syrians could have pushed forward with more determined attacks and better recon and planning,they very well could have descended from the Golan. The first Israeli reserve division to be constituted, along with most of the air support early on, went to the Golan because at the time the Syrians were a larger threat than the Egyptians.

Did you see those screenshots? How can you not be happy with that level of detail? I'm a WWII addict and I'm thrilled, even though WWII will not be first, at least we know its coming.

I will definitely be buying the modern warfare game, CMSF. Now I have two games to look forward to getting, CMSF and DropTeam.

And I will be buying that GeForce 6800Ultra card.

Glad I bought another 512MB of RAM.

Full spectrum MOUT is about as challenging as it gets so count me in as exceedingly happy.

If the level of building detail and terrain is anything like Steve has indicated, then coupled with the scenario editor and later NATO blue-on-blue possibilities, this game will have a lot of potential for medium and high intensity warfare simulation and be everything I could have wished for.

Nice one guys.

I think BFC has (as usual) showed some bawls with this decision. I am sure they considered their options very carefully before choosing this theatre. This title and time frame will also provide them with the experience they need to finish their new engine and make it capable of scaling to other periods. I also look forward to the education this forum will provide while I wait for the game to be released. I believe it to be a wise decision and I also believe that BFC has a shot at spectacular sales if it takes off beyond their best predictions.

I certainly understand their point of view and their new bossiness model of “module” design. I am actually pleased with the entire concept the new engine is based upon. I believe this release has a chance of being widely successful which may lead to new modules every year or even less. Based on past performance I can easily give these guys the benefit of the doubt and wait and see what they have newly built to decide for myself if my expectations as a customer will be met. I feel that I have a good chance of being successfully entertained with their future products.

If you look at 1973, the IDF had the most trouble with the egyptian army. The syrians, however, were seen has the most urgent threat and the IDF initially mobilised their forces against Syria. The IDF did beat the egyptians and the syrians decisively, but they suffered significant losses in the process, which was what egypt and syria were shooting for. There is a good overview here, although it deals mostly with the suez front:

"The 1973 Arab-Israeli War: The Albatross of Decisive Victory" by Dr. George W. Gawrych

web page

The Iraqi's performance was even worse. They committed a armored brigade of T-55's which were ambushed and destroyed by IDF super shermans at Tel Maschara.

I was just catching up on some reading, and one article was an essay answering the question on the purpose of art. Short version; To delight and instruct.

If, you ask the same question about wargame simulation design it seems to me the answer must be nearly the same if not identical.

My first choice would 've been WWII from the start to finish in order.

Even so, I have a good feeling after reading BFCs posts on the new game, (and playing CM1 for the past few years), that I will be very happy and look foward to being delighted and instructed on near future modern warfare in the Middle East.

I am happy with the approach of near-future Middle-East followed by WWII Western Europe. I will be even more pleased if a module is brought out for both games featuring British forces.

I for one welcome the opportunity to try out real world modern infantry tactics such as those used in Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq. I can fully understand why others don't though, which is why it has to be a fictional setting.