Heads up. old blog.

vincere

"One neat recent addition to the current alpha build code is the ability to place what we call "flavor objects" on the map. Their tactical impact is close to zero as any such objects hardly provide enough concealment (and certainly no cover) for one soldier let alone a squad, but they're important to immersion as they increase the "natural" look of a map tremendously. It's actually amazing how such a little thing as a street light, telephone pole or road sign can suddenly bring a map to life. See for yourself:

(Shot in the second post!)

Flavor objects can be placed on the map in the editor anywhere the user wants, and can be directly manipulated (like many other objects such as buildings) directly in 3D view, i.e. you can move them or rotate them for example."

-Moon

Tom Says:

VERY COOL!!!

:D

Definitely helps immersiveness, but depending upon construction, I disagree as to cover value. Given a choice, for example between going prone in the street and prone behind a streeetlamp post, I'll be behind the streetlamp. Likewise the wider, though nowhere nearly as protective telelphone pole. To my mind, flavor objects should provide at least partial cover to a given man, especially if he stays low.

What do those of you on the "sharp end" in similar climes think about this issue? Also, how are they treated when maneuvering under fire up, say, a broad boulevard?

Regards,

John Kettler

Shows you what state we're in when a screenshot of a short stretch of two-lane asphalt with a yellow line down the middle can give us thrills. :D

Ah! It just dawned on me. The sign doesn't say "to Damascus" but "to Baghdad"! Is this BFC's way of deemphasising the Syrian Invasion backstory? Yeh yeh, I know. If you're on a major east-west highway in eastern Syria you're pretty likely to find a "to Baghdad" sign along the route. BFC does seem to still be hard at work assembling an accurate Syrian TO&E.

I like the little compass in the corner.

The grey triangle seems to be showing us how many degrees of horizon we're seeing on-screen. I assume a zoom view would narrow that triangle considerably.

Another clever feature nobody bothered to ask for in the old wish-list threads! :D

"I assume street signs will be modable"

That means we'd be able to do "Red Dawn" scenarios where the U.S. gets invaded from the south! Highway signs reading "Corpus Christi Texas 50 miles".

Hmmm,

Will users be able to write what they'd like to on the signs? Or are we always to be consigned to traveling on the road to Damascus?

If user-modifiable, I'm sure you'll include an English to Arabic (Syrian dialect?) translation executable. Then, additional support for whatever other countries have native language included.

I also want deer crossing signs with red-dots on their noses, and buckshot patterns.

smile.gif

Thanks,

Ken