1.07 Patch Feedback

M1A1TC

Originally posted by mystro:

Oh no not BF, it looks like BF is now trying to piggy-back crap that has nothing to do with the game whatsoever...did you happened to notice?

I installed what I thought was 1.07 for the BF version (btw, why doesn't BF have it's own file servers and eliminate some of the confusion over which friggen patch to install?) I unchecked every box except game only install and low and behold, BF installed an IE module which adds all kinds of totally unwanted crap, players, weather bug, spellchecker etc etc etc..this really upsets me....a company that I admired at one time and now this type behavior on top of a highly unready game which mirrors the behavior of the lower echilon of gaming companies. On top of that, the patch version is either wrong or very buggy..how do I check?

mystro, the Battlefront browser toolbar is entirely optional. You must have missed a checkmark. We would never ever install something like this without your ok.

It's easy to uninstall:

Open your computer's Control Panel then select "Add or Remove Programs".

Find Battlefront.com in the list of installed applications and click on it.

Click on the "Change/Remove" button.

You're not quite right to say that it's got nothing to do with the game, though. The BFC browser toolbar is only in a basic form right now but we have big plans for it, and in fact, sooner or later a lot of cool community features for all Battlefront games will be implemented around it, such as PBEM Helpers, Mod and scenario database, multiplayer lobby, version checking and updates, and so forth. You can read more about the toolbar here:

Battlefront Browser Toolbar page

There is a link to a detailed feature description on that page, too.

So we're going to be including the toolbar in all installers from now on, simply because the toolbar will help us build and serve the community in the future. If you don't like it, you can simply not install it, or you can also deactivate it when you don't need it.

Your question about "which patch is for me" actually leads me to a good example of how the toolbar will be useful for you and us. Instead of tracking down the right patch version, you would be able to click on a button in your toolbar which would auto-check (and possibly even auto-update) your BFC game(s) with the correct patches automatically.

So there is nothing sinister going on here. We just didn't make a big fuss of it (yet) since it's all in transition right now as some big server moves in the background are still ongoing.

Martin

[ February 25, 2008, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Moon ]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In version 1.07 I've just fired about 6 - 8 Javelins at some medium bunkers with no success so I guess not. The Strykers with the 105 were not alot better. On the odd occasion that they managed to hit them, they had little effect. My tanks however, did an excellent job. It surprised me that the Strykers were not more effective, I thought that was one of their primary functions. They seemed to be crewed by the extremely near sighted. They missed about 75% of the time and achieved little when they did hit. The tanks rarely missed and killed them 90% of the time

Originally posted by Moon:

This was another example of a player taking out frustration by hammering the keyboard message *send prematurely, my apologies..

1.07 reinstalled without incident although the patch seems to have changed my wireless mouse left screen scroll as it only works in that direction if I place the cursor at the upper left corner. I will also keep an eye on the BF toolbar development which I would possibly use but without the added components, if that'll be possible.. thanks all and Martin

mystro, you can customize the toolbar at will and show/hide any of the components you'd like to have or not have. The stuff you mentioned (Weatherbug etc.) doesn't even install by default from what I recall, but has to be manually added. There are a lot of fun gadgets served by Conduit that each user can add if he likes (online radio, games, translationss and what not) but they are not installing by default. The only stuff that is part of the default toolbar (and even that can be deactivated if you don't like it) are the Battlefront Quick Links, the RSS Feeds, the Chat, the community bookmarks which allow you to send interesting wargaming related links to everyone else (after approval), and a games menu which is more or less experimental at this point (currently all it does is it launches your game from the toolbar if properly installed).

As for the patch and your mouse, I would be surprised if the patch changes anything with your mouse configuration at all, but I'm probably not qualified to comment.

Martin

Steve:

I appreciate the response, moreover thank you for listening to player feedback and acting on it. The process you outlined is pragmatic and understandable.

If I may narrow the matter, please correct the issues surrounding accurate WEGO playback and the visual oddities. All of the effort poured into models, animations, one-to-one and the like loses a bit of its luster with so many graphic related glitches lingering about post 1.07.

Again, thank you for your effort and resiliance - best of luck moving through your priority list.

Gibson:

Thanks for having a go at my questions.

No doubt you guys have been at it more rigorously than may have been originally planned.

Peter,

Thanks! Well, our challenge is, as always, to manage our limited time effectively since we never have (and will never) the amount of time available to us that customers would like. It's just a reality that even little suggestions take time and when 100 little suggestions are added up they take a lot of time. Not to mention big suggestions like "completely and utterly redo the entire Quick Battle system" ;)

Visual glitches suck. We know that, you know that. But on the scale of things they aren't as important as, for example, screwy pathing, odd LOS results, etc. So they aren't at the bottom of our priority list, but they aren't at the top. Having said that, if you look back at all the patch lists you'll see quite a number of graphics glitches fixed and not a small number of them playback related. There are a few more out there that we are aware of, so hopefully we'll get those fixed as well. It's not a matter of if we can fix them it is when we have the time to fix them.

To answer a question that hasn't been asked before:

"Why are there playback graphics glitches?"

The reason is that in an attempt to keep the file/RAM footprint as small as possible Charles has been storing things in on an "as needed basis" instead of a "everything including the kitchen sink" method. Unfortunately, some things that should be in there were overlooked and therefore need to be hand coded in. Overall this is better because you guys get the smallest impact possible, though there are a few things that visually don't reset correctly when doing repeated playbacks.

Steve

Sadly, i suffer from extremely poor performance. Where one of the previous patches introduced a major performance boost, it seems nullified by 1.06/1.07 (this one especially) somehow.

Steve, does CMSF make proper use of dual core processors? if not, are you guys planning to implement that still?

Right now, even on very small maps (300x300m) performance is horrid somehow, even on the "fastest settings", it's ok when looking straight down zoomed in, but looking "into the distance" drops the framerate like mad, even with just a couple of ugly buildings (on fastest mode).. Also, my system is well above the suggested specs.

Other than that, i think the patch is excellent, I hope some work will be done on the QBs some day, and perhaps a simple "purchase" system as QBs tend to give you rather silly equipment which makes multiplayer QB match-ups a trial and error process of restarting the game every time.

Regards,

Gryphon