British Module

Is the plan for any add-on modules still along the lines of: -

Module 1: USMC

Module 2: European Allies (including, but perhaps not exclusively, the British).

As a Brit I am obviously very excited at the prospect that my own country's forces might one day be simulated in the game.

I would like to know if there is any more solid news on whether or not a British module will be developed, and if so, what sorts of units would be modelled and when might the module come out.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the British were in, I'd expect to see:

Recce:

Scimitar

Spartan

Panther CLV

Armour:

Warrior

Challenger 2

FV430 Mk3 "Bulldog"

Mastiff?

Vector?

Viking?

Softskins:

Landrovers with WMIK

Snatch Landrovers

Pinzgauer

BV206?

Infantry:

Infantry sections (L85/L86/Minimi, UGL(with extended range or 51mm mortar), NLAW/AT4)

MG sections (GPMG)

Anti-tank sections (Javelin)

Snipers (7.62 and .338)

HMG sections (.5" Browning)?

Support

81mm mortars

105mm light guns

155mm (AS90)

GMLRS

Attack helicopter

Harrier with CRV-7 rockets

I can't speak for Battlefront but they have implied that since the Combat Mission games sold better in the UK then anywhere else in Europe, a British Army module would make the most sense after the USMC module. But I suppose that it all depends on how well the initial game sells overall.

Fixing bayonets is, AFAICT, a psychological thing. Some bloke trying to shoot you from a distance being less scary than the same bloke attempting get to close quarters to rip your guts out with a knife on the end of a gun.

That said, with the reputation the SA80 family garnered before the A2 upgrade, it may be compensating for a lack of reliability.

Yes, as far as I am concerned we are doing USMC next and after that Brits. They will probably be on their own due to the amount of work. After that a mix of NATO forces as yet to be determined. Based on current military involvement and equipment, the leading contenders are The Netherlands, Germany, and Canada. I'd love to get the Italians and French in at some point, but their equipment is unique and therefore too much to squeeze in with other stuff.

Steve

A more detailed account of the incident of the bayonet charge of 2004 can be found in Prof. Richard Holmes' "Dusty Warriors"

I'm still perplexed as to why Germany, Canada and the Netherlands should be considered together. Apart from their MBTs being more or less the same, most other equipment and vehicles are different.

MBT - Leopard 2s all round, although that's only because the Canadians have recently bought some new.

IFV - Different for each.

Small arms and infantry support weapons - German small arms are unique. Dutch and Canadian forces use more or less the same as the US, although the AT weaponry varies quite a bit.

APC - M113s all round, unless Boxer gets in service with Germany and Netherlands before 2008-9

Miscellaneous vehicles - varies quite a bit.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Yes, as far as I am concerned we are doing USMC next and after that Brits.

Steve

Steve,

Great! Thanks for the confirmation. I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes over here. I work for Sony SCEE (the ones behind the new Playstation 3) so I talk to lots of gaming enthusiasts every day. You can rest assured I'll be spreading the word amongst my colleagues.

Keep up the good work and get the game out as soon as you can.

I wonder how fast a module could get turned-around once the base game is running & bug free. Theoretically it could be done as fast as the polygons can get built & skins applied. But there's probably stuff to tinker with 'under the hood' with each patch that would slow down development time. I DO hope the bulk of CMSF patch development has already been front-loaded into this past year's worth of base game work. The wait's been painful, less waiting in the future would be nice.

I think the british are a must, because they are currently in both Iraq and afghanistan ( which is what a lot of people actually want to play), and are still the most likely military to get involved and back America.

I would also go strongly for the French before the Germans, as again for political reasons they are more likely to deploy abroad and militarily like the US( and to a lesser extent Italy and Spain) have the transport ( air and sea) capability to do so.

I have always been in favour of a Marine module covering US, UK and French forces, along with the game changes to allow amphibious operations.

Another one that would seem obvious to include would br Turkey, and indeed Israel.

Putting in Greece would also allow people to play that little Agean scenario that has been threatening to blow up for most of the last fifty years.

Peter.

From a very British-centric perspective, I'll probably hold off getting a WW2 module until I have a British Module available in one of the games.

tongue.gif

As to what's actually in a British module, I'd probably rather see line infantry than the RM. I wouldn't mind seeing the RM, but I feel that the regular infantry get rather less of the limelight than they deserve.

Originally posted by Andreas:

If we get the Dutch, will the game simulate hairnets, union power and marijuana?

All the best

Andreas

Probably not. :mad: :mad: :mad: But how about women? Probably too much hassle, but the Dutch army does deploy them to frontline combat units.

Great to see the Dutch being one of the contenders for a module, though. They are the most plausible Leo 2A6 equipped US ally that would show up for a war. And they've got some other great stuff. YPR, Fennek, CV90, Patria XA-188 and even the odd Fuchs.

Push back the war to 2011 and you'd get the Boxer in. :D

I don't know what will come after the Brits, so it might not be Dutch, Germans, and Canadians. The Canadians are fairly easy since they use a force that is not dissimilar to the US Stryker Brigade from an equipment standpoint. The new LAV III variants they are playing around with are very close to some of the Stryker variants. And they have the Stryker MGS on order so that will be identical. Small arms are US based, all soldiers require new models (so that is an issue with every nation).

If we do the Germans we basically get the Dutch at a heavy discount. They use a combo of US and German stuff for the most part. Putting in a few unique vehicles is not a problem.

Simulating the French only is certainly an option, but I don't think it is as attractive as simulating Canadians, Germans and Dutch as a combo.

Steve

The Canadians are fairly easy since they use a force that is not dissimilar to the US Stryker Brigade from an equipment standpoint. The new LAV III variants they are playing around with are very close to some of the Stryker variants. And they have the Stryker MGS on order so that will be identical. Small arms are US based, all soldiers require new models (so that is an issue with every nation).

Uhm... a module that allows us to play with pretty much identical stuff as we had already gotten in the main game? Gee, thanks! ;)

I don't know what will come after the Brits, so it might not be Dutch, Germans, and Canadians. The Canadians are fairly easy since they use a force that is not dissimilar to the US Stryker Brigade from an equipment standpoint. The new LAV III variants they are playing around with are very close to some of the Stryker variants. And they have the Stryker MGS on order so that will be identical. Small arms are US based, all soldiers require new models (so that is an issue with every nation).

If we do the Germans we basically get the Dutch at a heavy discount. They use a combo of US and German stuff for the most part. Putting in a few unique vehicles is not a problem.

Simulating the French only is certainly an option, but I don't think it is as attractive as simulating Canadians, Germans and Dutch as a combo.

Steve

So in the new game, the US may well have the option of fighting and conquering the Brits, the French, the Canadians, the Dutch and the Germans?

Man! This is exciting news!

Will it all be tactical, or will there be a campaign element where we can impose Democracy via Haliburton 'cost plus' contracts on their benighted, backwards nations?

I hope the Dutch make it into the modules. I'm taking the 3rd Marines in to secure the essential hashish bars near the airports...

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The Canadians are fairly easy since they use a force that is not dissimilar to the US Stryker Brigade from an equipment standpoint. [snip]

Uhm... a module that allows us to play with pretty much identical stuff as we had already gotten in the main game? Gee, thanks! ;) </font>

This is all very exciting and interesting!

With all this information about possibilities for new Blue forces in the modules I'm curious:

What are the plans for new Red Force options? While it sounds like the modules will mostly focus on Blue stuff, I assume that there will be at least a few Red Force goodies added in the modules. . . I know the T-90 and BMP-3 are not going to be in the initial release, so those are possiblities. Any others?

Cheers,

YD