units refusing to follow orders?

I don't know if anyone else has seen this. In the Al Amarah scenario which is MOUT fighting against irregulars, my Stryker infantry had occupied the first line of outlying buildings and got caught up in a fierce firefight. After it died down, I ordered some of my squads to cross the street and occupy the next line of buildings, but they refused to move, whether I gave them a "hunt" or "quick" command. I checked and both squads were in C2 and had good morale.

So what is going on? bug, feature or am I missing something?

I have seen this too. To me it was that the squad was locked in "regrouping" mode. I mean the automatic movement command which you can't cancel and which will be issued when you cancel all other commands. But usually troops move a few meters and then that movement command will disappear. But sometimes when the squad has taken too much casualties nobody moves, and if you try to issue some other orders they won't be fulfilled because the regrouping is the first way point. So, that squad won't be able to move for the rest of the scenario. I think it is a bug.

I have seen this as well. When trying to move a platoon out of a building complex, after several minutes I managed to get 2 squads to move but the HQ and the remaining squad refused to leave their initial positions. All were in command and had good morale, in fact they hadn't recieved fire for nearly 20 turns, which was why I was moving them.

I have found that I often have to give orders two or three times to my infantry (actually reminds me of the real army "rimshot"). Vehicles seem not to have this problem, although they have their own issues.

i think when you have to much units in a single house they block themselfs is some cases.

i had two 9 man squads an AGS and a MG team in a house(1story, small to medium size). i wanted to get the AGS and the MG out of there, 2 minutes it didnt worked.

than i zoomed into te house to look what they do and how it going.

there i found em stuck in the 2 squads, moving but not getting anywhere.

after i gave both squads an target arc in opposite directons, in order to split up in the house, the two support teams came free and ran as they should.

I've just seen this as well. It seemed that one or two members of the squads that would not move had a member in another structure due to having taken fire and been stopped from completely regrouped. After that, they refused movement orders for quite some time, although no longer suppressed.

Originally posted by benpark:

I've just seen this as well. It seemed that one or two members of the squads that would not move had a member in another structure due to having taken fire and been stopped from completely regrouped. After that, they refused movement orders for quite some time, although no longer suppressed.

That sure doesn't sound like a bug. I expect the way to tell would be to count casualties. However:

If a unit cannot follow a command due to casualties or being pinned down, ect AND has good C2 It would stand to reason that higher command (player) would be notified of the inability to respond.

[ August 05, 2007, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: MarkEzra ]

Originally posted by benpark:

I have had that happen without taking fire. I gave a movement order to a squad and when I came back to them they were scattered between the building they were in and their destination. There were no enemy about and no casualties but part of the squad ended up in the new building and part in the old with a couple strung out in between. The squad icon was still in the old building. Even repeated orders to move to the new building failed to get the squad together. They only moved after a new destination was given.

I have noticed this sometimes too. It even happens with the vehicles from time to time. I found that if you issue 2 waypoints the vehicle/team will go on their way. So if you want to move to a building, put a "quick waypoint" near it then another one such as assault or hunt inside

Hi,

Yes… I was just about to report the same bug… I say “bug” because I am talking about units that are 100% healthy with full communications. They may hesitate a bit, but overall such units should do as they are told.

Talking about Brandenbug scenario playing as US forces. Great scenario, great game, but did find the above bug.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Same here with my grunts.

Sometimes it helps to give them extremely precise orders.

My squad was sitting on a rooftop and no enemys nearby.

Ordered them to get to a house over the street, but even after three turnes they sat idle on the roof (sunbathing an d drinking pinacoladas ?).

Then I ordered them to move to the ground floor of the house they are occupying, then move out on the street, then over the street and into the ground floor of the new building. And then up to the roof.

And only now my dummies understood what I wanted them to do !

Give it a try the next time and tell me if it works for you, too.

Greets,

Martin

Originally posted by Soma:

Same here with my grunts.

Sometimes it helps to give them extremely precise orders.

My squad was sitting on a rooftop and no enemys nearby.

Ordered them to get to a house over the street, but even after three turnes they sat idle on the roof (sunbathing an d drinking pinacoladas ?).

Then I ordered them to move to the ground floor of the house they are occupying, then move out on the street, then over the street and into the ground floor of the new building. And then up to the roof.

And only now my dummies understood what I wanted them to do !

Give it a try the next time and tell me if it works for you, too.

Greets,

Martin

I am also thinking it may be a pathfinding issue. I had a squad on ground level. It was healthy, +1 morale in C&C of the platoon HQ in a nearby building. I tried to get it to move to the ground level of an adjacent building, but no luck. However, when I ordered it to go up on the roof of the building they were in, they moved without hesitation.

[ August 05, 2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Sgt.Joch ]

On this note I have seen some of my AFV/IFVs get stuck in spotting/targeting mode, where the gunner just switches rapidly between the two. Not so bad in realtime as I can cancel the order, but it sucks in WEGO where I have to watch him do it for 60 seconds. It looks to me that it mostly happens when the LOS tool says I have LOS but I really do not.

Has someone played the tiny map in QB with the mosque at one end of the map ?

Placed my grunts HQ up on the 5th floor (two man with TOW and a rifle) to watch for the bad guys (and get some with the TOW).

I nplacement mode at the beginning everything looked fine, but after starting the first turn, only my commander with the rifle stood there on the balcony and the XO with the TOW was suddenly on the roof of the mosque.

And there was no way to order them (both) back to the 5th floor. MUTINY !

Greets,

Martin

Hi metalbrew,

I don't think that this single CPU affinity procedure has something to do with this problems (because my pc is soooo old, it has only one CPU to use) :-(

But this will also mainly be the cause that I haven't encountered one of the crashes or other technicals troubles which players with newer pc's are reporting.

I really think that this is only a pathfinding problem (or my xo is to fat to share the balcony with my commander) :)

But thaks for the hint,

Martin

It looks like another Pathfinding issue to me.

I have noticed two problems:

1. units ignore orders- for example, I order a squad on the roof of one building to move to the roof of an adjacent building. Some times it works and some times the unit will cancel the order. However, if I order the squad to: 1) move down to the ground floor; 2) move to the ground floor of the second building; and 3)move to the roof of the second building, it will execute the order.

It looks like the squad can't figure out the Path to go from A to D, unless the player orders it to go to A,B,C and then D.

2. units partly follow orders- this is more frustating behaviour. You order a squad to move into a building, most go, but 2-3 men stay stuck in the 1st building or behind a wall with no clue on how to carry out your order. Since you can only give orders to a squad, the only workaround is to bring the unit back to a central meeting point and issue new movement orders.

This one seems to be a combination of pathfinding and 1:1 representation issues.

Since CMSF is a brand new game, I am willing to give BFC the benefit of the doubt that these issues/bugs will be looked at and fixed, since as it is now, infantry units require a lot more micromanagement than in CMx1.