What to do now?

I have had great fun with some of the scenarios at CMMODS, but even still, I have a been there, done that feeling with the majority of scenarios. I now build my own and play against myself. I have tried building scenrios with unconventional objectives, but can't get the AI to react.

This concerns me with CMSF's longevity. With CMBO, I played at least a couple of games a day on average for more than a year, and the same with CMBB, and only slightly tapered off in CMAK. Right now we are 3 months into CMSF (with maybe 3 weeks where it was really playable) and I am already looking for something new.

With CMBO, I played at least a couple of games a day on average for more than a year, and the same with CMBB, and only slightly tapered off in CMAK.
Really? Wow, I gave CMx1 maybe ten tries single player and only a single time found it somewhat enjoyable.

On the other hand CM:SF single player I have found excellent.

I've just finished a scen that allows you to play single attacker, defender or 2 player. But what I really had in mind was to produce a scen that I could play as defender and just let it play out like a movie. The scen, Viper Pass, has a VERY aggressive AI, 5 different plans each with 8 separate groups and multiple orders, times, and tasks. You can sit back and watch the AI attack or actively defend and get your ass handed to you...or not, depending on the plan and your defense. Of course you can attack as well. The red defender has 5 plans and 8 groups as well...Lot's of replay--ability... The more scen designers learn about the editor AI the more CM:SF players will suffer "shock and Awe".

agree with the wood.

being weened onto pbems and tcp stuff with the earlier titles,plus the sheer volume of different forces you could use.

having had CMSF since day 1,im in the same boat,the human v human battles just arent the same.single player feels just the same,like played 10 battles,youve played em all,maybe we got spoiled with the first generation of the game,and its simple yet brilliant style of multiplayer options available.

but i had my doubts about the replayability from the beginning,with such little choice of forces available.

hell.anyone would think the US is the only country in the world with a participating armed service.

sure,i know,the modules will add content i hear you say,but i doubt ill pay 50 bucks(?) for each one.

i know steve has repeatedly said they wanted a new direction,*we arent just a WW2 company anymore*

thats all well and good,but where do i buy my WW2 stuff from now?

kinda reminds me of when they changed the flavour of coke.

i dont want to sound like a basher,im not

ive invested in all their products and will continue to,hopefully.just not on this particular title.

SF just doesnt cut it in the longevity stakes, which means quite a long wait between new titles. Unless a Module will chance the forces radically then I wont buy it just for a uniform change.

This is the difference though between the two games. CM-1 equals longevity and SF equals a short attention span. I'm not necessarily against this though as its not my choice what game to make, only what game to buy.

Theres just no depth to draw me back to it. I stress this is a personal view though, others may desire to fight the same force in the same region for months and years but I have enjoyed my SF game and have gone back to PBEMing the CM games.

I also think the game could become outdated quite quickly.

To me the game is supposed to be the cutting edge of modern land combat,but with new technology coming in the next few years such as the Humvee replacement - which I doubt will make it into the game - it will seem strangely out of date.

I suppose you could always look at it as a representation of combat of the Iraq war period which would kind of give it an historical context to be framed within, like WW2 titles.