Changing my nick??

Originally posted by michael_wittman44:

Who thinks its a good idea to change my nickname??

Don't let the politically correct, hyper-senstive PC police get under your skin. I assume you chose the moniker because Wittman was a tank ace of some fame, as the venue of combat mission is battlefield simulation, and not geo-political role playing.

I find it incredibly hypocritical that people who spend hours on their computers recreating the greatest tragedy in human history would suddenly take offense to the moniker "michael_wittman44."

For those of you that are offended, please tell me if your sensitivity is greatest before or after you gleefully replay over and over the scene of your MG42 team cutting down a crew of poor GI's fleeing a burning Sherman? OR before or after your 105's shred a convoy of truck carrying GI's? Or before or after your rockets destroy a sleeping hamlet at dawn?

Lighten up, people. This is a game, not the real thing. Save your outrage for something that matters.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Joachim:

Why change the nick? It's so amusing to see that people can't even spell the names of their idols.

Gruß

Joachim

Hmm so you're saying I spelt his name wrong??? If we were doing German spelling it'll be Mikael Wittman instead. Jeez thanks for the comments. I know someone who named their dogs Hitler and Himmler.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Anyway, I think the distinction is important; the theme of "I feel uncomfortable playing "Nazis" in Combat Mission" comes up here semi-regularly. The Nazi Party was the only party permitted in Germany, and Hitler was indeed the head of both the state and the party. But the Party was never as invasive as popular understanding would have us believe, nor was the state nearly as unified as efficiency demanded. Hitler kept it that way on purpose to prevent any one group from gaining too much power.

I consider this viewpoint to be rather naive, almost as naive as Tom's hankering after harmony smile.gif . For a start, an equally if not more prevalent theme on this forum is "I feel comfortable playing the Germans because their army were honourable soldiers just doing their duty and the same goes for the Waffen SS who were distinct from the "bad" SS." Furthermore, irrespective of how invasive the Party itself was, its' ideology was pervasive and it made special efforts to indoctrinate the armed forces particularly once it attacked the USSR. Hitler's method of dividing power up to keep things under control was a political technique, I don't really see what relevance it has to the extent to which Nazi racial-ideology had permeated German institutions.

"I know someone who named their

dogs Hitler and Himmler"

....and I know of an Axolotl named

Albert Speer, and a Guinea Pig named

Gobbles (could be Goebbels?)....

I blame the History Channel and that

damn "World At War" series...

A whole generation poisoned...pets

saddled with the Names Of Evil Men...

Originally posted by Simon Fox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Anyway, I think the distinction is important; the theme of "I feel uncomfortable playing "Nazis" in Combat Mission" comes up here semi-regularly. The Nazi Party was the only party permitted in Germany, and Hitler was indeed the head of both the state and the party. But the Party was never as invasive as popular understanding would have us believe, nor was the state nearly as unified as efficiency demanded. Hitler kept it that way on purpose to prevent any one group from gaining too much power.

I consider this viewpoint to be rather naive, almost as naive as Tom's hankering after harmony smile.gif . For a start, an equally if not more prevalent theme on this forum is "I feel comfortable playing the Germans because their army were honourable soldiers just doing their duty and the same goes for the Waffen SS who were distinct from the "bad" SS." Furthermore, irrespective of how invasive the Party itself was, its' ideology was pervasive and it made special efforts to indoctrinate the armed forces particularly once it attacked the USSR. Hitler's method of dividing power up to keep things under control was a political technique, I don't really see what relevance it has to the extent to which Nazi racial-ideology had permeated German institutions. </font>

"Axolotls and Guinea Pigs are evil pets"

JonS,

I understand your antipathy towards

Mexican Walking Fish...the very concept

of the animal itself is risible, and

furthermore any organism that can regen-

erate limbs and lives on Pizza needs to

be closely watched...

Guniea Pigs on the other hand really

seem to pose little threat except to a

sleeping and pants-less Richard Gere...

Michael: I agree with you completely!! Your comments mirror my own study and the views of my father, a vet from the war with the Germans. The Southern states were in rebellion aginst their country, the USA. They fought hard but deserved in spades what they got. They accepted the federal govenment when they voted for the Constitution. There was/is no moral right to what they were doing to their fellow men. Tag

I have an ancestor named "Statesrights Gregory"

(an another one named John Wilkes Booth, but

that's another story) and I don't recall any-

one in my family believing for a second that

the American Civil War was about freeing the

slaves...Lincoln himself made it clear that the

war aim was to preserve and expand the Union

(and it's business interests) at all costs, with

or without slavery.

Those of an idealistic turn of mind may

wish to avert their eyes from the reality

of what happened to African-Americans after

they were 'freed', not to mention the

economic colonization of the South that

followed the Confederacy's defeat.

Originally posted by MPK:

Do cats really NEED email addresses?

Yes, even if just for ebay.

A friend of mine had 2 cats with bank accounts, as a tax dodge. If only he hadn't married the regional head tax inspector, or more to the point divorced her, he may not have had to sell his D type Jag, his Bentley his Formula 5000....