Changing my nick??

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit putting words into my mouth, I'm trying to eat my lunch..

(Christ you are difficult!)

Canadian Parliament declared war on Germany, not the chief of the defence staff. Are you telling me that the Wehrmarcht didn't take orders from Adolf Hitler but went off and did its own thing?

Are you trying to tell me that a government made up of a single political party, with total power, such as 1939 Germany and Russia, doesn't control all government agencies, including the military?

It defies logic...

I am not checking this post again - email me if you want to continue to try and change my mind on this.

Anyway, I think the distinction is important; the theme of "I feel uncomfortable playing "Nazis" in Combat Mission" comes up here semi-regularly. The Nazi Party was the only party permitted in Germany, and Hitler was indeed the head of both the state and the party. But the Party was never as invasive as popular understanding would have us believe, nor was the state nearly as unified as efficiency demanded. Hitler kept it that way on purpose to prevent any one group from gaining too much power.

A viewing of Conspiracy might make things a little more clear; look at the gentleman in the blue suit, who works directly for the Reich Chancellery, who insists that the "Jewish question" is his to deal with; Hoffman from the SS feels it is his, Heydrich takes control and makes it his while spreading tasks around the room.

The military was no different; the Party concerned itself with domestic affairs and had little say in foreign policy, certainly not in "controlling the military". Ribbentrop et al may have been party members, but they were working under the authority of the Government, not the Party.

Call it splitting hairs if you like, but calling Wittman a Nazi stooge makes about as much sense as calling Smokey Smith a patsy of Mackenzie King's.

The Army, of the three services, was the most resistant to NSDAP influences; the Navy was rather Christian in outlook, and the Air Force was reactionary.

Ah

I see

Well as you can all see my latest revision to my Signature file has had NO impact what so ever on the decorum of this thread.

oh well

I tried

(Never let it be said you did not do the Least you could do)

(and it was the least I could do :D )

-tom w

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Has a cease fire been called yet?

Tom, piss off. If this concerns you, we'll refer to you by name. </font>

Darn it! I had to read the comments, didn't I?

OK One last post - I *promise* I truly mean it this time.. I just can't let MD have the last word.

Wittman was not a Nazi stooge, he was just a soldier fighting for a cause and a national dream. (As far as stooges go, I prefer Curly-Joe.) The German population was infected with the Nazi dream in part by Mr Goebbels propaganda machine.

Perhaps Goebbels was a bad example to give of some of the nut-bars that held powerful positions within the party, but lets face it, he was a truely demented person. Anyone who is familiar with his and Magda's final actions in '45 can see there was something not quite right with him.

The Waffen-SS is sometimes thought of as the 4th branch of the German Wehrmacht (Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine) as in the field it came under the direct tactical control of the OKW, although this notion is technically incorrect as strategic control remained within the hands of the SS. To this day the actions of the Waffen-SS and its former members are vilified for ultimately being a part of the larger structure of the political Allgemeine-SS, regardless of the fact that the Waffen-SS was a front line combat organization.
Wittman was an SS tank commander. The Waffen SS were strategically controled by the Nazi Party - specifically (as anyone worth their weight in brass knows) by Heinrich Himmler.

Therefore, while not being part of the nastier parts of the Nazi organization, he was part of a military organization created by and controlled by the Nazi party.

That is why I personally would have reservations about using his name as a forum alias.

Tom clearly had nothing to contribute to this discussion; he seems lately to go from thread to thread asking people to stop talking.
Oh NO.

Far fom it Mr Dorosh.

I changed my signature line to improve the decorum and level of conversation to something positive and constructive.

smile.gif

Now if you folks want to continue to rant and yell and scream at each other I know one thing for sure: I can't stop it, and I am only suggesting that the user agreement on this forum suggests that as a community we all try to embrace a style of dialogue and discourse that fosters the " exchange ideas in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere".

Peace..

-tom w

[ September 21, 2005, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Now if you folks want to continue to rant and yell and scream at each other I know one thing for sure: I can't stop it, and I am only suggesting that the user agreement on this forum suggests that as a community we all try to embarce a style of dialogue and discourse that fosters the " exchange ideas in a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere".

Okay, Dorosh was right. Piss off, Tom.

The ruling party in Germany in 1939 was: Nazis

The name of the person who made the decisions over what the German military would do on a 'macro' level (Give the invasion order for Poland for example) to the Top Military Commanders was: The hierarchy inculuding Goebbels, Fat Hermann, Hitler as Fuehrer.

This person was the leader of what political party? The Nazis

The Highest Ranking Officials in the Nazi party were often given important government posts, in Canada we use the same term. This term is: Ask Michael Dorosh.

In his inner circle of advisors and 'closest friends' Adolph hitler included this closest friend and minister of propaganda. His name is: Club foot Goebbels.

Before his death, Hitler appointed Grand Admiral Doenitz as chancellor of Germany in his will.