• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

latest info:

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted October 20, 2005 09:44 PM

We have a different system for modeling movment and fatigue. Soldiers will basicaly move at about the same speed on the US side, but certain ones will tire out a lot quicker (like a Javelin or M240 team). Terrain is also a big factor. Big difference between running down a paved street than negotiating extremely rough and rutted terrain.

Steve

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted October 21, 2005 12:18 AM

I'm not sure about panicking quite yet. One thing that is VERY different in CMx2 is that Suppression and Morale are two different factors. Tired troops will be Suppressed more easily than rested troops. That is pretty much a no brainer cause and effect relationship.

US troops will Panic in CMx2 if you screw up enough. Remember, there is a difference between Panic, Routed, and Broken. Panic is a temporary state that hinders the unit's ability to do what is expected of him right then and there. Probably not something that is dire. Routed means the unit has progressed to a more deeply troubled state that it will need quite a bit of time to recover from. Broken means the unit is, for all intents and purposes, combat ineffective for the rest of the game. We had difficulty in CMx1 getting this to behave as well as we wanted it to sometimes, but generally that is how it worked. In CMx2 it will just work better.

Steve

Yes, you're reading tea leafs at the bottom of the cup. ;) The soldier morale state of Broken/Routed is still valid for CMSF as per the previous CM trilogy, just more fleshed out.

Put enough fp on a single squad from all angles for long enough and I don't see how BFC will change the morale model suddenly (in CMSF) so that the USA troops will never rout/break. That just seems, well, plain wrong from a simulation standpoint. I venture to say BFC will not be that silly.

• 2 weeks later...

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted November 07, 2005 11:11 AM

After more than a dozen years of making wargames I have come to the following conclusions about micromanagement. Gamers break down into (roughly) three categories:

Habitual Micromanagers Give them an inch and they will double check that it is an inch then figure out if they can take an inch and 1/8th instead. They don't mind spending inordinate amounts of time to eek out a tiny bit more performance from their troops. Even if that increase is perceived more than it is actual. These are quintessential "micro view" types.

Hands Off Managers The opposite extreme. These are guys who don't care if it is an inch or not... they want to just tell their guys to take whatever it is and run with it. They almost don't want to play the game at all because it is an inconvenience to them. Instead, they want to bark a few orders (preferably by voice recognition) and watch the whole thing play out without any additional input. These guys are the "macro view" types.

Hands On Managers Right smack dab in the middle. They want to interact with their units in a way that yields the kind of action they expect from them, yet they don't want to get so wrapped up in doing this that they lose sight of the Big Picture. They get frustrated when they feel they are required to baby sit units too much, but also annoyed when units don't do what is expected of them.

Anybody that has spent even a little bit of time with CM and these Forums knows that we cater to the Hands on Manager types. They are the hardest to please, in many ways, because they expect a line to be drawn where there is no one place to draw the line. The other two are harder to please for other reasons, but technically easier to cater to. However, the two extremes will generally enjoy a Hands on Manager type game, but will absolutely not like the opposite style. What's more, the middle guys don't tend to want to play the extremes. So if we cater to the extremes we lose most of our audience. Catering to the middle we get pretty much everybody.

The reason I bring this up here is because CMx2 will walk the same fine line CMx1 did in terms of allowing unit micromanagement. Yes, there are more options to direct your units than in CMx1, but we feel that this additional control is necessary for the new environment. Otherwise the Hands On Manager types would feel the game is too Hands Off.

Remember what I said earlier... the additional flexibility is available, but not necessary most of the time. We expect you won't be clicking on too many more Commands per turn, just that you will be using the flexibility to use them in different ways. For example, not setting a Cover Arc until 3/4 the way through a move or using "Fire X Rounds" instead of "Target". So hopefully there is more control without more micromanagement.

Steve

[ November 07, 2005, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

• 11 months later...
Map size -> yes, we always have to keep in mind that when we allow something FAR too many gamers think that means they are supposed to be able to use it, even if they are still using a 486 with 32MB of RAM. So to some extent we must hard code limitations because not doing so always comes back to bite us in the butts.
Is this something (I'm assuming it's okay to ask questions in this thread) that you can go back and recode without much effort at a later date? If, for instance, six months after CM:SF's release RAM becomes a penny per ten megs and fifteen gig sticks become standard*, would it be realistic for you guys to release a hotfix that would just raise the hardcoded cap?

*Yes, that's an extreme (-ly absurd) example, but it makes the point.

Originally posted by WineCape:

Wide Screen Support

No current plans for it, though it is possible we could introduce it later. The main problem with the wider screen is it jumps the hardware requirements up quite a bit. The other problem is the code might not be friendly to such a suggestion. I don't know the answer to this last point. I know that the UI certainly won't be a problem.

That is the source for this quote?

This is factually incorrect. Drawing two million pixels from 1600x1200 costs the same hardware resources as drawing two million pixels from 1920x1000. Widescreen doesn't "jump up the hardware requirements".

The code not being friendly would be surprising since CMx1 did 16:9 just fine.

I was the source of the quote :D Well, first of all the current supported resolution is 1024x768. Will it support higher than that? I don't know yet. We probably won't prevent people from using a higher resolution if we don't have to recode anything, and at this point I don't know that either.

In short... we either will or will not support widescreen or higher resolutions.

:D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I was the source of the quote :D Well, first of all the current supported resolution is 1024x768. Will it support higher than that? I don't know yet. We probably won't prevent people from using a higher resolution if we don't have to recode anything, and at this point I don't know that either.

In short... we either will or will not support widescreen or higher resolutions.

:D

Steve

Steve, considering that most people today have 17" and 19" LCD monitors, who's native resolution is 1280x1024 I think it'll be major thing not to support it. What good is CMx2 graphics when it is viewed on ugly stretched lower resolution on LCD's.