Peng Battles With The Video Challenge Thread

Speedy

Originally posted by bauhaus:

"He is a talented writer, that's for certain.He is a talented writer, that's for certain.He is a talented writer, that's for certain."

What in the great googly-moogly is this tripe? My God man, you've managed to turn this thread into a combination of a gearhead's paradise and the sensitive man's admiration for others. Cut this crap out. This is not what the MBT is supposed to be about. This thread is about nothing in particular and everything in general. But niceties are not what this thread is made up of. Either "grow a set" or get the feck out! Good Lord!

bauhaus, you have really pissed me off. The nerve that you'd post something with which I'd be forced to agree. FORCED, because it would be through no concious decision on my part that I could ever be cajoled, whipped, subverted, perverted, or swindled into concurring with anything you could possibly utter. Your strivings for communication and control over your world amount only to the raucous flocking of starlings, and are equally difficult to interpret, let alone accede to the thought that anything about them (or your mewlings) could ever be construed as being 'correct.'

However, even in the face of all that, sometimes the truth wins out and shines through the dimmest fogs of fumbled imaginings. Apparently such is the case here, for I have been FORCED to agree with you. You bastige.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Leeo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bauhaus:

"He is a talented writer, that's for certain.He is a talented writer, that's for certain.He is a talented writer, that's for certain."

What in the great googly-moogly is this tripe? My God man, you've managed to turn this thread into a combination of a gearhead's paradise and the sensitive man's admiration for others. Cut this crap out. This is not what the MBT is supposed to be about. This thread is about nothing in particular and everything in general. But niceties are not what this thread is made up of. Either "grow a set" or get the feck out! Good Lord!

bauhaus, you have really pissed me off. The nerve that you'd post something with which I'd be forced to agree. FORCED, because it would be through no concious decision on my part that I could ever be cajoled, whipped, subverted, perverted, or swindled into concurring with anything you could possibly utter. Your strivings for communication and control over your world amount only to the raucous flocking of starlings, and are equally difficult to interpret, let alone accede to the thought that anything about them (or your mewlings) could ever be construed as being 'correct.'

However, even in the face of all that, sometimes the truth wins out and shines through the dimmest fogs of fumbled imaginings. Apparently such is the case here, for I have been FORCED to agree with you. You bastige. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Leeo:

However, even in the face of all that, sometimes the truth wins out and shines through the dimmest fogs of fumbled imaginings. Apparently such is the case here, for I have been FORCED to agree with you. You bastige. </font>

Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Ummmm, you must have me confused with another bauhaus.

That would be the bauhaus from the Bizarro universe. He's the one with the good looks, wit, charm and social graces.

The one who's actually allowed out in public. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo Radley:

Ummmm, you must have me confused with another bauhaus.

That would be the bauhaus from the Bizarro universe. He's the one with the good looks, wit, charm and social graces.

The one who's actually allowed out in public. </font>

Do you lot know that, when I left college, the world was full of promise.

Primarily, of course, it seemed the promise of more drugs and alcohol, but promise none the less.

But the reality of growing old and earning a living has both beaten me to my knees, and reassured me that you have to make your own fun.

The other day I was trying to cope with the fact that the company I am currently indentured to has acquired a complete piece of crap property that is standing empty, and requires nothing more than that the few bills still associated with it get paid. And one of those bills is a telecomm bill for the alarm lines that the Monitoring company uses, with Vendor X.

And what I was trying to do was simply get Vendor X to send the bills to our office, so that we could pay them. They were still sending them to the previous property management office, a Mom&Pop operation that was fired from the account when the property went into receivership. And the delay between when Vendor X sent the bills to people that no longer gave a good goddamn about the bills until when they actually made their way to our office and got paid was causing Vendor X (a large, national Telecomm company) to whine like a four year old with an anal infection.

So I called Customer Support. And I got 'Deb'. I explained to 'Deb' that I needed to change the billing address on the account, and gave her the property address, and the account number, and various other account related details. And after the usual long lags while someone who is trying to deal with customers and putting up with the necessity of waiting while a large computer system slowly and often at random coughs up the correct information, asks me:

Deb: And who are you sir?

'Deb' sounds like she is in her late 50s, and has had a life filled with disappointments. A life filled with men who promised her much, but left her sad and slightly afraid of the world. Deb sounds like fussiness and unhappiness are the only defense she has left against a world that has done nothing but let her down.

Seanachai: My name is Steve. I'm calling on behalf of the Property Manager, for the Owner.

Deb: I see. And are you the 'Decision Maker'?

Seanachai: You mean, like George W? The Decider?

Deb: I mean, sir, who is the 'Decision Maker'?

I'm starting to feel a little weirded out. Like there's some sort of 'in code' thing going on here that I may be giving the wrong answers to, and which could result in the destruction of an American town if I don't start giving the right responses.

Seanachai: Well, the 'Decision Maker' would probably be our Senior Property Manager, Chris B.

Deb: I see. And your name again?

Seanachai: I haven't had time to change it since you first asked, but my full name is Steve Pemble.

Deb: I see. Sir, the problem I have here is that neither of those names are listed as 'Decision Makers'.

Son of a bitch. There goes Cleveland.

Seanachai: Uh, Deb, who IS listed as the Decision Maker?

Deb: The name I have here is Kathy W.

Seanachai: Well, Deb, there's the problem. That's the previous Property Manager, and she and her company have been fired from this account by the Ownership (notice the lovely way I deal with the appropriate jargon?). WE are the NEW Property Managers.

Deb: Yes sir. I understand. But you see, neither of the names you've given me are listed as 'Decision Makers'.

Seanachai: No, Deb. They aren't on the list. But no decision needs to be made about the Account. We're not canceling it, we're not changing the nature of the service, we're not doing anything to the account. We just want you to send the bills to us, so that you get paid on time.

Deb: Well, you see, sir, we cannot change anything regarding the account without authorization from a 'Decision Maker'. you can hear the capitals every time she says it

Seanachai: Well, then, Deb, how do you think you're going to get paid?

Deb: Sir, we cannot change anything regarding the account without authorization from a 'Decision Maker'.

Seanachai: Okay, Deb, your 'Decision Maker' was a woman who runs a Self Store It facility who was paying the bills for this property part time, and has nothing to do with the account anymore. Now, you can continue to send the bills to her address, and she will, if you are very lucky, eventually send them on to us, but your company keeps insisting on charging us a 'late payment' fee, and we're not going to pay you a 'late payment' fee when you insist on sending the bills to the wrong freaking address.

Deb: Sir, you have to understand, I cannot make changes to this account without authorization from a 'Decision Maker'.

Seanachai: Fine. How do we change the 'Decision Maker', Deb?

Deb: Well, sir, I could fax you the 'Change of Decision Maker' forms, and you could fax them back to us.

Seanachai: So...you won't simply change the billing address on my say-so, but you'll fax me some form that will allow me to make any changes I want to the account, and all I have to do is fill it out and fax it back?

Deb: Yes, sir. Because then you would be the 'Decision Maker'.

Seanachai: And you don't see any logical inconsistencies with that position?

Deb; What?

Seanachai: Never mind. Here's our fax number, Deb.

And the forms were faxed to me, and I wrote down that my boss, Chris B., was now to be considered the Alpha Male regarding this account, able to make every decision and leap tall buildings with a single bound. And I faxed them back.

A few weeks later, we again got the bill forwarded to us from the previous property manager, along with the whiny bitch letters from Vendor X about late payment. And I swung into action.

I called up, and told Customer Service that I wished to change the Billing Address. I got Sheila. She asked me:

Sheila: Are you the 'Decision Maker' on this account, sir?

Seanachai: No! But I know the 'Decision Maker'. He is a close personal friend of mine, and, I'm told, a hell of a dancer. His name is Chris B.

Sheila: Yes, sir. I see from the account information that Chris B. is the 'Decision Maker'. We will need him to authorize the change of address for billing.

Seanachai: I am calling on his behalf to make this change.

Sheila: Yes, sir. But we need him the 'Decision Maker', to authorize the change.

Seanachai: Look, for Chrissake, all we want to do is pay the damn bills!

Sheila: I realize that, sir, but we cannot make a change to the Account without Authorization from the 'Decision Maker'.

It's starting to sound like a religious reformation.

Seanachai: Alright. Hold on one moment.

And then I put the phone on hold for the time it took me to read a news story about how Ohioans lead the nation in unregistered weapons in their cars. Then I picked up the phone, and, without changing my voice or manner of speaking in any way, I said:

Seanachai: Sheila? This is Chris B!

Sheila: Yes sir. How can I help you today?

Seanachai: My minion, Steve, informs me that you need my authorization to change the billing address on our account. I can do that, you know! I am a 'Decision Maker'!

Sheila: Yes, sir. And what do you want the address changed to?

Seanachai: Change the billing address to xyz!

long pause

Sheila: Okay, sir. I see from our records that you are the 'Decision Maker' for this account. So we have updated the billing address as you requested.

Seanachai: Ahahahahaha! Very good, Sheila! But why stop there?! I am the Decision Maker! I will provide you with a list of our enemies, and I request that you do everything in your power to do them harm, even unto their death!

Sheila: I'm sorry sir, that is not an option on this account.

Seanachai: No? What a pity! But I am the Decision Maker! Could I not change the Account to make it an option?!

Sheila: Sir, we cannot provide that kind of option.

Seanachai: Ha! Then we shall have to satisfy ourselves with getting your bills in a timely fashion.

Sheila. Thank you, sir. Is there anything else we can help you with today?

Seanachai: No, not if you refuse to chastise and destroy my enemies.

Sheila: Then thank you, and have a nice day.

Seanachai I found your story to be inspiring. Far too few companies in this day and age HAVE Decision Makers, especially in the wake of failed policies when seemingly no one made the decision but it just ... Came To Pass.

That you work AT ALL is also inspiring in that it proves false the old, old Liberal canard that you can't trust Big Business to have a social conscience. Clearly YOUR company, in addition to having a Decision Maker, also has a caring and compassionate management which would, at the potential cost of lost business and innumerable lawsuits, yet employ the less fortunate aspected members of their community.

But all that aside I AM troubled that you failed to provide a description for "Shiela" as you did for "Deb".

Here's my question ... did she sound hot and does she, like the "Linoleum" of fable, have a sister?

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

While it is true that I once was granted an FCC General Class Radio Amateur License - Whisky Bravo Seven Victor Delta Hotel - I passed the test by the Grace of GAWD and some heavy memorization.

Joe

Ahh, that takes me back...

Memorizing all of the equations you might need to pass the dreaded Element 9!!!

If we're talking about the same test, that is... 3rd class FCC?

I can't speak for Joe (That onerous task is reserved for his army of therapists and mental health care professionals), but I obtained MY 3rd class operator's license as the first step for getting my first class license in order to work on transmitters in commercial radio stations, because my dear old mum thought that with my rugged good looks, I was a shoe in for radio.

Alas, my natural attraction to all things bull****, I gravitated towards advertising.

And the MBT.