Soldier models

mazex

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hey, Angryson. I see you're lugging around the M16A4. I thought pretty much all Riflemen had the M4 in Active line infantry units. You being 11B and all made me surprised to see it. What gives? smile.gif

And yes, he is a dead ringer for Cheech!

Steve

What can I say? That's 3rd ID for ya. I think the priority on the M4 went to light units, like 101st, 82nd and 25th. I was in the 101st and we got the M4 back in 2000. I'm just gonna guess that they decided we would be fine with the A4 because the XM8 was on the horizon, now that that's scrapped, I should have a shinny new M4 waiting for me when I get home. That, and a set of ACUs...*holds breath*

Yeah, and the Marines are going to retain their M16s for quite a while still.

Angryson, thanks for the info. I know that the M4 is still in transition to replace the M16, but figured 3rd ID would have been switched over by now due to all that trigger time. Bzzzt... wrong answer!

Yeah, the ACU does grow on you. I still think some of the other patterns trialed would have been better, but that's the Army for you :D

Steve

Like, say, the multicam ?

I've seen lots of multicam lately ( on airsoft fields, mind you ) and gotta say it is surprisingly efficient both in a woodland and desertic environment. Truly a wonder BDU IMO. I wonder if some SF units will (or can) opt for this pattern instead, or if it is still considered by any outfit ?

Sounds like an interesting mod project at the very least.

Cheers.

[ November 10, 2005, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Tarkus ]

Originally posted by Tarkus:

Like, say, the multicam ?

I've seen lots of multicam lately ( on airsoft fields, mind you ) and gotta say it is surprisingly efficient both in a woodland and desertic environment. Truly a wonder BDU IMO. I wonder if some SF units will (or can) opt for this pattern instead, or if it is still considered by any outfit ?

Sounds like an interesting mod project at the very least.

Cheers.

Multicam looks great for Texas. Not sure about Iraq or the Phillipines, though. smile.gif

Yeah, Multicam was a late entry into the trials. From what I can tell the Army did favor the pattern at one point, but the makers (Cyr) didn't like the legal arrangements and therefore it went nowhere. The Army is, however, still using Multicam in its Future Force soldier demonstrations as far as I know.

It's a great pattern and it has gone through some changes of its own to make it blend better with arid conditions. The example I have is much lighter than the original examples I saw pictures of a few years back.

Steve

Originally posted by akd:

Multicam looks great for Texas. Not sure about Iraq or the Phillipines, though. smile.gif

Yeah I thought almost the exact same thing when I first saw that pattern. But actively searching for it in various environments made me a believer. Both in dense laurentian green or arid tan it was still sustaining the comparision very well with environment specific BDUs.

I don't know the specific of the devlopment program of that cam, but obviously some people really sat down on the task and thought about it.

Also haven't seen ACU yet on the field. Seems the intent is the same as multicam (some sort of universal pattern) but the optical principle seems to be different.

I still prefer my DPM though. :D

Cheers.

Originally posted by Tarkus:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by akd:

Yeah I thought almost the exact same thing when I first saw that pattern. But actively searching for it in various environments made me a believer. Both in dense laurentian green or arid tan it was still sustaining the comparision very well with environment specific BDUs.

I don't know the specific of the devlopment program of that cam, but obviously some people really sat down on the task and thought about it.

Also haven't seen ACU yet on the field. Seems the intent is the same as multicam (some sort of universal pattern) but the optical principle seems to be different.

I still prefer my DPM though. :D

Cheers. </font>

Steve

Will the load-out be specific for each solder platoon position? Like the SAW gunner will have SAW pouches, and M203 grenadier extra grenade pouches? Will you model the old and the new style of Kevlar(helmet)? Will a radio guy carry a singars in rucksack with antenna sticking out? Will some wear sunglasses? Will we see expended cases being ejected? I guess, the question is: how detailed will soldiers be?

Equipment loadouts on each Soldier type are customized to that MOS. This means a Grenadier will have 40mm grenade pouches all over the place, radio packs for whomever is carrying the radio, etc. We are modeling the Advanced Combat Helmet only, not the old "Fritz" style. Ballistic eyewear will be fairly common on the Soldiers, but I don't think we'll give everybody something. There are still guys that don't want to wear them, for whatever reason. Ejecting shell casings... I'm not sure, but probably not worth the framerate hit. I do know there is muzzle flash, which is the more important of the two since you won't notice shell casings at typical distances, but will notice the flash. There is also an "eye level" camera position which I hope to have improved a bit (right now it follows the unit, I want it right inside the center mass of the unit).

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Ejecting shell casings... I'm not sure, but probably not worth the framerate hit.

What about for tanks?

juan_gigante:

Almost certainly not on cases being ejected. That was a fairly recent thing even for high-tech pretty FPSs.

If you consider 1996 recent (Duke Nukem) ;)

Originally posted by Paul AU:

Unrelated, but; I've always been curious about the 'knee pads' visible in the pic above. They were used in Somalia, I've seen.

What's their story? Who uses those, and when? Urban use only?

(And does anyone know when wearing sun-glasses became the norm?)

The Army finally realized that if there is a rock, stick, or piece of glass within 1000 meters of your location it will beam itself right under your knee when you hit the dirt.

My last NTC I tried to be slick and sewed some pieces of sleeping mat into the knees of my BDU's. It made my pants just tight enough that the first time I took a knee they ripped. As anyone who has worn BDU's can tell you, the first place they rip is the crotch. So I had to run around in crotchless BDU's until they got us our duffle bags a week later. Drafty to say the least.