Soldier models

mazex

Well, I am going to be accused for beeing a bitch bothering about nonsense but anyway ;)

Is it only me that think that the new character models look great but somethings wrong? I just realized it's the groin (yes this will be quoted)...

If one would remove the groin protection part of the soldier in the CM:SF logo I really don't know what we should expect, a guy with a heck of a lot bigger balls than the majority of the world I guess? I did a very small photoshop edit and I think that it suddenly looks a lot more realistic. Peoples legs tend to be thicker in the part above the knee I think...

cmsf_banner_modified.jpg

Yes - this is really minor but what the heck ;)

/Mazex

[ August 09, 2006, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: mazex ]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the groin protector will be the first thing modded out when this game gets released.

To be honest I can't imagine a US Infantryman actually putting up with that thing in the field. If it is a kevlar flap then I can see it constantly getting in the way whenever kneeling, going prone, or simply moving tactically.

Bil

Bil, many of the recent photos I have here from Iraq show troops using this protection, and I believe it is becoming standard issue. To be honest if I had the choice of a somewhat awkward groin protection or a bullet in the same area, I know what Id take ;) If you have any info to the contrary though please pass it on as it wont be able to be 'modded out' as such....its not impossible for us to model troops both with and without this protection though, time permitting.

Mazex, to be honest I cant see much difference between your examples, hehe. I suspect you are referring to the fact that the pants should be more 'baggy' though, which is correct and was something that was changed a few weeks ago now. Anything you guys are seeing in screen shots at the moment is several weeks old at the least and should not be considered final at this point smile.gif .

Dan

[ November 05, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by melb_will:

Mazex

Someone more informed will no doubt be along soon.

But if we can get past your fixation with staring at a computer generated images groin you will probably find that the groin protector part of the body armour is not connected to the pants as your photoshop edit depicts

cheers

Will

Sorry - if it looks that way to you then I made it unclear in the edit that I am well aware of the separate state of the groin protector as can be seen below if you know how Photoshop works:

groin_layers.jpg

I maybe should have added some shadow beneath the groin protector to show the "spacing". The thing I have a problem with is that the thighs look way to thin for a "normal" solider (especially the left one)... This is the place where I really have to add that I am happily married (with a woman), I have a son and another one on the way ;)

/Mazex

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

I suspect you are referring to the fact that the pants should be more 'baggy' though, which is correct and was something that was changed a few weeks ago now. Anything you guys are seeing in screen shots at the moment is several weeks old at the least and should not be considered final at this point smile.gif .

Dan

That's exactly what I meant, and I realize that the graphics at this state should be thought of as work in progress as you say. Being a graphic bitch I just couldn't keep myself from commenting on it... Complaints of this dignity the month before realease would have the same survival rate as an icecream in hell...

At least I will be remembered as the father of the first CM:SF mod - "Fat Thighs / Baggy Pants 0.1" :D

Some screens of what you have now maybe to show us what you mean? (worth trying ;) )

/Mazex

Dan, I have seen no photos of troops wearing a device like this... have any you can share or can you point me in the right direction?

By modded out I meant giving it a completely transparent map.. but if it shares mapping with another model component (which makes sense) then yes it would be impossible to mode out.

I would love a version without the groin protector included.

Bil

Hi Guys!

Bil, M1 has given you a pretty good selection there but here are a couple more. The first one shows a guy wearing all ACU pattern gear...

Picture 1

Picture 2

Yes, it will be very hard to mod out as it shares mapping with other objects, but not impossible I guess (Id have to check the mapping). We could very well make a version without though, depending on just how rare it really is down the track. To be honest I suspect that within a few months you will see almost all troops in Iraq using these and neck protection form what Ive read.

Mazex, more screen shots will be forth coming with the new web site. The problem with releasing too many is just this, hehe, as we spend a lot of time letting people know that we are still in early development smile.gif . Once we reach beta though you guys should be able to expect a nice bunch of movies and screen shots Im sure!

M1, we are certainly considering adding the shoulder protection and possibly these too. It really depends on how common they become over the next few months smile.gif

Dan

The groin/neck pro is nothing new, it is part of standard issue when you sign for your IBA. As far as wearing it goes, I think I was the only guy in my company to wear it when we arrived in Iraq. I stopped wearing it after about 3 months, it just gets in the way. The neck protector is another story, I make my gunners wear it when they are in the turret, and shoulder pads are required IAW SOP for anyone manning a turret on a gun truck. Shoulder pads are also in the "too restrictive to be useful on dimounted patrols" catagory. I'm an 11B so my days consits of patrols and check point security.

Originally posted by Paul AU:

Unrelated, but; I've always been curious about the 'knee pads' visible in the pic above. They were used in Somalia, I've seen.

What's their story? Who uses those, and when? Urban use only?

(And does anyone know when wearing sun-glasses became the norm?)

Same thing rollerbladers have been using for decades. Someone somewhere got the bright idea to use them in combat since running around dropping into shooting positions is pure hell on the knees and elbows, especially on rough terrain. The early ones were probably just some grunt bringing his personal stuff with and using it, but nowdays they can be obtained through official supply channels. It's also extremely common these days to go out and buy your own stuff when the issued gear doesnt cut it. The civilian market for military gear exploded sometime in the 90s with companies like Blackhawk sprouting up.

The sunglasses that guy is wearing might be Wiley-Xs, a commerically made ballistic eyewear. They do a pretty good job of protecting against fragmentation. Sunglasses probably became common when they did in the general public.

Originally posted by TufenHuden:

I'd have no problem wearing it,I'd tuck

it in though for better protection,

I don't think you like to be shot there...

They should maybe have a strap on end of it

like the gasmask carrier...stop it from

moving around....

Yeah it does tend to bounce on parts that dont like being bounced on. It doesnt have a ceramic insert in it but the kevlar lining is a fairly rigid substance that can still cause some discomfort. I haven't worn mine much since i've never deployed, but it seems like a pretty good idea. I think its more intended to protect part of the femoral artery from fragmentation wounds.

This isn't about anyone's groin, but...

Every time I look at those soldier screenshots, I'm struck by the size of the M-16. Shouldn't it be a little smaller? The clip seems to be about as big as the soldier's face, and the whole rifle is just too long. (Yes, I know it's not the cut-down version.) It's as big as a FAL.

Am I wrong?

The M16 looks right to me. We had a discussion about this earlier, in fact, and I think the reason it looks so huge is that most everybody is using the much shorter M4. Which, BTW, is what you'll see in the final product. The M16A4 with M203 is being replaced by the M4 with M203 and will soon be M4 with XM320 (an improved grenade launcher). We'll be simulating the latter.

Steve