non grog scared away by jargon

ScouseJedi

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

Just takes alot of practice.

Wikipedia believe it or not is actualy a pretty good resource. Just input something and start reading.

When something looks interting just click the blue hyperlink and read about it too.

As for Victoria, that is one of my favourite games!

The only Paradox game I ever liked.

Maybe with Steves permission some of us can undertake a platform information section for the manual.

We can list every weapon and piece of hardware in the game and give it its own entry into the manual.

Since the manual is probably going to be .pdf all those extra pages will hardly matter.

Maybe we could build a Battlefront Wiki?

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

Just takes alot of practice.

Wikipedia believe it or not is actualy a pretty good resource. Just input something and start reading.

When something looks interting just click the blue hyperlink and read about it too.

As for Victoria, that is one of my favourite games!

The only Paradox game I ever liked.

Maybe with Steves permission some of us can undertake a platform information section for the manual.

We can list every weapon and piece of hardware in the game and give it its own entry into the manual.

Since the manual is probably going to be .pdf all those extra pages will hardly matter.

Maybe we could build a Battlefront Wiki? </font>

Its gone past SNAFU straight to FUBAR. ;)

All kidding aside, I have learned alot about WW2 history from playing realistic WW2 games. That is not limited to weapons but includes locations, geography, geopolitics and cultures. That and I have learned alot from these forums as well. They have provoked me to pick up a book or three or an article relating to these areas.

Helps to give you a glimpse into the possible future as far as foreign affairs and human nature goes. Granted this has been happening over MANY years.

It has all been very interesting.

[ September 12, 2006, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: gunnersman ]

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

I think they'd only need to donate the webspace. The beauty of wiki is that anyone can update it.

If you want to, feel free to edit the cmwiki.jemian.com. A few of us started over there and then intrest was lost.

And if you want to change the css or something just say the word.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Have you downloaded the previous generation game engine CMAK or CMBB demo to take for a spin?

Its taken me some days to overcome this slur on my character.....

By posting, I use bandwidth and money, by lurking I do the same. I am a proud owner of CMBB and am very happy with it, although it gets used less and less as I get older and more addled - or are there less hours in the day these days. I would not presume to occupy such bandwidth without making a contribution to the company hosting it. If CM:SF = CM:BB++ then I know roughly the type of game I'll be buying, the topic (which has transferred to a Peng thread name **beams pride**) was more a reaction to the threads in the forum which are quite frankly scary.

I don't know if I'm typical but here's a list of the games I've bought over the last few years.....

OFP - from demo / Lustypooh - **waves at Hellfish **

CM:BB - from forums and AARs

Airborne Assault - coz it was published by Battlefront. Ironically when I got home and checked for forums I discovered a sorry truth DOH! - same day it was announced.

Victoria - Paradox, AARs and forum again

HOI2 - ditto

and thats about it over the past years, every single game I have bought.

If I had never bought a Battlefront product I would not buy CM:SF. Simply because the content of the forums is so, well, grog intense. I know that the PR machine is still in the cellophane wrapper awaiting batteries but the forums give out the message:

'If you don't know what an M1A1yadda yadda you not only are you a fool but it is not worth you even posting here.'

This is just a heads up in case Battlefront want to target the game at 12 year olds who want to slot some towel garbed bar stewards - the people who buy 90% of games and boast of penis size rather than people who boast of..... (OT: for some reason the term mannikin ownership leapt to mind here - strange) complete ownership of every book ever written and buy 2 games a year.

Back to the Wiki point. If a game has an active and voracious community providing support it is a huge advantage in helping me part with my money. An up to date Wiki is a huge plus here. As an example, BIS (Operation Flashpoint Creators) have produced a wiki for their games which is already providing useful infomation and creating debate prior to the release of another title.

If there was a section of the Wiki called 'People who still only beat the AI after 6-7 timesplaying a scenario I would be happy to add to it.

I sorta understand how you feel about this forum when I go visit the 'Grognards' forum. That game looks like a real killer (which is good) but it's hard for a non-Napoleonics grog to get hot about Hungarian tunic colors. :D

That being said, when the two games finally come out - and if my long-postponed platform upgrade permits it - I hope to see BOTH games in constant use on my machine, expert or not on the subject!

If we were discussing, say, CMBB, I honestly belive this would all be for nothing. There is simply not that much interest in a "turn-based" wargame outside the hardcore community (though I must admit I bought it because of the 3D graphics on the back of the box).

But CM:SF is potentially different: It has the realtime option and can, to an extent, be marketed as an RTS, sort of, potentially bringing more people into the fold.

Getting people to notice the game, to the point that they will visit the BFC website and/or download the demo, well, that's up to the marketing people.

But it is at that very point that the effort not to scare newbies away right away begins, and this is were we as a community can contribute.

Ideally, the demo should include a really, really simple mission that lets the newbie get familiar with the simplest and most basic features without being overwhelmed. Of course, there should also be one or more elaborate missions that show off the qualities of the game.

Ads, demos, website and forums should ALL be littered with references and links to a "Newbies Guide to CM:SF", and I don't see why we the community couldn't make it (I for one will gladly help). There should also be a "Newbie Section" on the forum where newcomers can post without intimidation, even if they don't know their AN/PVS-7's from their AN/PAS-13's.

Personally, I don't care if the good people at BFC get so rich they end up referring to the likes of Bill Gates and Paul Allen as "those middle-income people", or if they spend the rest of their days living in a cardboard box under a highway bridge. But the fact remain that the more money BFC makes, the more goodies they'll produce for us.

There is a chance (how large or small I do not know) that CM:SF can reach a larger market than its predecesssors, and I think we the community should help, for no other reason that it will benefit ourselves in the long run.

Respectfully

luderbamsen

There is a chance (how large or small I do not know) that CM:SF can reach a larger market than its predecesssors, and I think we the community should help, for no other reason that it will benefit ourselves in the long run.
I buy not just Combat Mission products, but integrity.

A company that simulates something so good cannot help but to pique my interest in WWII, which, at best, I had a passing interest.

Whatever they simulate, it will continue to keep me interested, whether I prefer that specific genre or not. BFC’s trilogy alone has cost me a couple of thousand dollars in WWII books/encyclopedia etc, bought over the last 6-7 years. And I am the wiser for it. Thus BFC has given more knowledge to me than they ever intended. And that is priceless.

I might not like a module/game they simulate due to preference, but I will continue buying into their philosophy and their products. Why? They push the gaming envelope - with panache. Their programming ingenuity, their simple yet powerful executed gaming concepts that keeps track with reality in some form or other, their attention to detail, their customer service, a helpful forum community, their interaction with said community, their philosophy of giving back to programmers they help publish, and much more.

How can I, or others, give such experiences a miss? Count me in as spreading the word for BFC's products, continuously for the past 7 years … and in the forseeable future.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

Originally posted by WineCape:

I buy not just Combat Mission products, but integrity.

A company that simulates something so good cannot help but to pique my interest in WWII, which, at best, I had a passing interest.

Whatever they simulate, it will continue to keep me interested, whether I prefer that specific genre or not. BFC’s trilogy alone has cost me a couple of thousand dollars in WWII books/encyclopedia etc, bought over the last 6-7 years. And I am the wiser for it. Thus BFC has given more knowledge to me than they ever intended. And that is priceless.

I might not like a module/game they simulate due to preference, but I will continue buying into their philosophy and their products. Why? They push the gaming envelope - with panache. Their programming ingenuity, their simple yet powerful executed gaming concepts that keeps track with reality in some form or other, their attention to detail, their customer service, a helpful forum community, their interaction with said community, their philosophy of giving back to programmers they help publish, and much more.

How can I, or others, give such experiences a miss? Count me in as spreading the word for BFC's products, continuously for the past 7 years … and in the forseeable future.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

I totally agree. I find such qualities rare in the industry these days and it should be encouraged. Which, I suppose is exactly what we're trying to do here.

But newcomers may not get this right away. Many probably haven't given such things much thought in the past, and if they have, they've probably had a few unpleasant experiences with other elements in the game industry.

As far as I'm concerned, greeting people with open arms and encouraging them to be part of the community is the first step. I belive we can make a difference, and I belive we should.

Respectfully

luderbamsen

MikeyD

Member # 5596

posted 13-09-2006 13:36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sorta understand how you feel about this forum when I go visit the 'Grognards' forum. That game looks like a real killer (which is good) but it's hard for a non-Napoleonics grog to get hot about Hungarian tunic colors.

You 'mechanical' types.No sense of fashion. :rolleyes:

Nice find John....

its inteesting to see that every development of the M1 appears to give it a higher profile and extra weight.

From a developmental point of view there are a lot more references for modern equipment than WW2 stuff. I've just started making IDF armour (for OFP) and you can actually get video from inside the vehicle. Getting pictures for WW2 stuff internals is virtually impossible.

Similarly the numbers of high detail photos of US troops give the artists of CM:SF lots of detail to work with.

And I am learning about modern equipment slowly.

ScouseJedi,

There used to be a wonderful site called AFV Interiors over on AFV News, but the guy who did it

closed it down for reasons unknown and, because of copyright issues (had permission to use all sorts of great pics), even blocked Internet archive copying.

He had incredible interior photo sequences of all sorts of WW II AFVs plus some for more modern vehicles. JoWood did a lot of specially arranged internal photography at armored museums all over the place in order to build Panzer Elite, so you might ping the people there. Some digging online

will produce at least some imagery, and copies of vehicle manuals and the like are available, too.

Turning now to the M1 developments, MOUT is a game unto itself, and the rules are completely different. For one, the tank isn't trying to hide--unless it's actually under attack. To the contrary, it wants to be seen and be perceived as intimidating and dangerous. If the TC can be effortlessly potshot while torso exposed in his hatch, that's not very impressive, is it? Hence, the armored, vertical add-ons. If fire's too heavy, though, it may be prudent to button up anyway, and the ability to run the .50 remotely leaves the tank still able to defend itself against elevated/approaching threats.

Height creates field of vision, of which one of the more extreme examples is that IDF CEV with the fixed tower, armor glass blocks and multiple MGs.

Much of the TUSK is devoted to vision upgrades, too, with the extremely worthwhile addition of a phone for supporting infantry to talk to the tank.

Sadly, the importance of that phone has to be relearned tank design after tank design, when it should be standard. Period.

Close-in combat highlights vulnerabilities in a tank designed to fight at much longer ranges,

thus ERA over the suspension and the slat armor covering the vulnerable rear.

Do these things make the tank heavier and taller?

Sure do, but they also make the tank able to see better under a variety of conditions, fight better buttoned and unbuttoned, help keep otherwise exposed crew members alive, improve tank/infantry coordination, and if all else fails,

help the tank survive hits it might not have otherwise. Given the enormous expense of the tank and crew, the political costs associated with losing same and the propaganda value of such a loss, TUSK seems like a good idea to me.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ September 24, 2006, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

LOL John - I have his entire AFV Interiors site on CD smile.gif

I realised I was just using up his bandwidth continually checking pics on his site so I just d/l them all over a few weeks.

Vehicle maintenance manuals are useful. I bought the Horsa Pilots notes so I could make an accurate cockpit for the I44 cockpit (OFP again) - something I could not have done otherwise.

As regards phones on tanks - It was my understanding that they were commonly disabled by tank crews to prevent them 'brushing' against crunchies.