Thoughts on 1.03?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad first impressions are good :D

fireship4,

Go into Options and turn off Left-Click compatiability unless you have an ATI card *and* had problems with crashing when left clicking. If you do have an ATI card and crashing problems, unfortunately slightly inaccurate clicking will remain a problem until ATI fixes the bugs in their driver.

Steve

So the only Syrian units that can call in artillery are FOs now? That's going to break some of the battles (Chechen village and Wadi al Bugger come to mind) that's I've enjoyed.

Since I'm midway through some PBEM games I'm holding off applying the patch. If anyone has feedback on Syrian arty, please share so I know what to expect.

Truppenfuhrung,

Not your imagination!

Metalbrew,

Correct. The ability for non Syrian FO units to call in artillery fire was a bug. They use the old Soviet centralized system and nobody gets the sort of training necessary to call in fire excepted for the specialized FOs. So combine restrictive doctrine, with limited training, and poor C2... you get pretty limited artillery usage.

Scenario authors can fix this by including FOs in their scenarios.

Steve

Pathfinding of Stryker vehicles is much better, and like Truppenfuhrung I too noticed the graphics were really sweet. First time I used my new fancy PC with all the graphics turned up on full though, so did not know this was new to 1.03 or just new to me.

While the frame rates appear OK to me in the game, I have asked elsewhere how to measure it and have not seen a reposne, so how do you do that?

Originally posted by Cameroon:

Absolutely great first impressions for 1.03. :D

Sadly, it's likely I won't actually get to play through until after the weekend. Even worse since it's a long one for me. I do feel a cough coming on though.... ;)

As your Doctor I recommend that you stay indoors and away from the workplace or worse, your relatives. You may have a terrible infectious disease and you don't wish to spread that around do you...

Blast movement didn't seem to work for me. They blew a hole in the wall ok, but then they still went for the door. I tried to see if a following HQ section would use the breach, but no luck. I was playing a small infantry only download Bravo Company I think it was called, found it through the forums here.

I tried this 3 different times, each result was the same. Hole in the wall created but the infantry still made for the door to enter.

The infantry response is much better. Now they get killed at the door, rather than walking in, looking in some direction besides the enemy and then getting slaughtered. If they make it in the door they do fine.

I haven't tried blast yet.

I do notice the stryker vehicles still do some weird stuff by facing in random directions. They get to the point I want them to and should stop, but instead decide to put their rear to the enemy.

They graphics are nicer. So these are my first impressions after playing two missions.

posted August 30, 2007 11:06 PM Truppenfuhrung,

Not your imagination!

Metalbrew,

Correct. The ability for non Syrian FO units to call in artillery fire was a bug. They use the old Soviet centralized system and nobody gets the sort of training necessary to call in fire excepted for the specialized FOs. So combine restrictive doctrine, with limited training, and poor C2... you get pretty limited artillery usage.

I think this only shows once again the need for on map mortars. Local mortars are likly the only Arty Syrians in a small tactical battle would have and little else after a week of US air strikes and counter battery fire.

From the closed thread.

MY eyes about popped out of my head! I liked the graphics before...they looked pretty good to me...a bit washed out, but still nice. NOW it's like the whole games was just modded! That hard ground and gravel are absolutely stunning! Walls...Rocky Red...GREAT work Dan & company!

Something I just noticed that I didn't before...not only are vehicle crew losses and weapons ammo not reset in WEGO during a replay...but bomb damage to buildings and craters stay as well.

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

From the closed thread.

MY eyes about popped out of my head! I liked the graphics before...they looked pretty good to me...a bit washed out, but still nice. NOW it's like the whole games was just modded! That hard ground and gravel are absolutely stunning! Walls...Rocky Red...GREAT work Dan & company!

Glad you guys like the terrain changes! Overall terrain was the primary graphical item that some werent happy with, so we revamped both the textures and the placement method for 1.03. We also adjusted the lighting contrast and added a little reflection to the terrain surfaces which should also make a big difference, especially in the mornings and afternoons. Below are a couple of shots for those still waiting for the download.

Screen Shot 1

Screen Shot 2

Dan