Tech specs: What are the Core 2 Duo power equivalents?

hmmmm.... my 2ghz C2D iMac scored a 1,119

but my work machine, a 2.66ghz quad core Mac pro scored a tasty 3172

You reckon these scores are a bit of a have?

ToW runs perfectly fine on max settings... Im betting that CM:SF will run fine too.

Would love to give the MacPro a run though

Hi Guys...

A couple of questions....

What advantage is there to a quad core over a duo?

What advantage is there to buying an Nvidia 8800 GTX Ultra over a standard GTX. Is it worth the money?

What advantage is there in getting two of the aforementioned cards in SLI?

I play Battlefront games, Rome Total War, and Civilization, none of which are very taxing to my current system but i am about to buy a killer rig and am confronted by the outrageous cost. I would like the following:

Core 2 Extreme QX 6700 (8MB, 3.46GHz Factory overclocked

Vista Home Premium

2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz OC'ed to 1066

Blu-ray Disc

30" Dell Monitor

Dual 768 GeForce 8800 GTX Ultra

Soundblaster X-Fi

I would love all these things, as would anybody, but if I buy this I will have to harvest my kidneys, or at least my wife's. If I must cut back, where do you suggest...processor...video cards...Ram...monitor...Blu Ray?

A fun topic of discussion. Please advise.

[ July 21, 2007, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Edward J. Smith ]

Today you get (gaming-wise) a better bang for the buck with duo core. Quad core is the better choice if you do ALOT of multitasking or if you work with advanced programs developing games or making for instance music.

I think quad core is the future, but that future isn't even close to being here yet.

If you are buying now, you should buy duo core.

As for Vista, I run Vista 64 and I like it.

There is a huge drawback in that there is alot of stuff that isn't supported in it yet though. Much of the advanced 3d sound out there doesn't have full support yet which is a total bummer.

//Salkin

For approximately $15,000 Apple will sell you a system with 16 gig of ram and enough of everything else to require its own powerline. How big a map would that run?
Dan don't by that Apple. My work system cost $15,000 and that's a Quad Opteron with 64 Gig of RAM. It's Linux though so no Uber maps for me. :(

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For approximately $15,000 Apple will sell you a system with 16 gig of ram and enough of everything else to require its own powerline. How big a map would that run?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan don't by that Apple. My work system cost $15,000 and that's a Quad Opteron with 64 Gig of RAM. It's Linux though so no Uber maps for me.

Yeah but shouldn't you be doing a CMBB turn at the moment instead of hanging around forums waiting for releases?

;)

com'on sunshine pull your finger out

I have one simple reason for liking Apple, and I am typing on a 20 inch IMAC that jokes aside is going to have to suffice for some time yet. Viruses, I do essentially all of my internet communication on the Apple side and despite being hooked up to a broad band connection for almost a year now I have NEVER had a problem. I use bootcamp for games, and will use it for this one, and other Windows only apps but have literally never set up the email in Windows. And the result is no virus/worm problems to speak of. It makes the Apple premium irrelevant in my own humble opinion.

Originally posted by Edward J. Smith:

What advantage is there to a quad core over a duo?

For a game that doesn't make use of multi-cores anyway like CM and ToW, zero, except for your eletrical power supplier smile.gif

Otherwise, you might have applications that multithread well (such as some audio/video encoders).

Or you do several things at the same time, and more than two. Examples would be a compilation run AND some video encoding going on in the background and at the same time you have fat web pages in your browser.

In general, however, even multitasking is satisfied with two CPUs/cores, because it will make the foreground work more smooth.

What advantage is there to buying an Nvidia 8800 GTX Ultra over a standard GTX. Is it worth the money?

Uh, it's faster, no other difference. Nobody else than you can judge whether that is worth the money for you.

Personally I buy top-of-line (that means Ultra when available in the series), because so far it turned out that the better resell value recovers most of the extra cost anyway, so why not have a faster system? But that requires selling at the right point in time which has various other risk implications.

What advantage is there in getting two of the aforementioned cards in SLI?

Uh? It's faster.

I play Battlefront games, Rome Total War, and Civilization, none of which are very taxing to my current system but i am about to buy a killer rig and am confronted by the outrageous cost. I would like the following:

Core 2 Extreme QX 6700 (8MB, 3.46GHz Factory overclocked

Vista Home Premium

2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz OC'ed to 1066

Blu-ray Disc

30" Dell Monitor

Dual 768 GeForce 8800 GTX Ultra

Soundblaster X-Fi

Why would you do that if you already know you don't need it?

And why would anybody with their brain mounted buy a Creative product?

That 3.46 overclocked quad-core will NOT turn out reliable under all circumstances. Only hand-picked CPUs and watercooling and a lot of work and testings can theoretically get you there.

The dominators are a total waste of money. You gain almost no real-world performance from faster memory.

In any case, 2 GB RAM in the above system is a joke. 4 GB RAM are the first thing you want for mixed workloads now.

I would love all these things, as would anybody, but if I buy this I will have to harvest my kidneys, or at least my wife's. If I must cut back, where do you suggest...processor...video cards...Ram...monitor...Blu Ray?

A fun topic of discussion. Please advise.

You don't have your objectives set, that's the problem in selecting the strategy. You need a problem to address.

Redwolf-

Thanks for all your input. Would you agree that this rig would perform well for any current game out there (including CMSF):

2.1 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

Windows XP Pro

2 GB RAM

nVidia GeForce Go 7600 w/ 128 MB dedicated RAM and 128 MB shared system RAM

1440 x 900 resolution 17" screen

Thanks!

Steve

Originally posted by Redwolf:

No, Steve, a 7600 is certainly not able to drive 1440x900 in many current games, e.g. Stalker. Also, if this is a laptop and a mobile 7600 the equation changes again.

The CPU is fine. Windows sucks :)

1200 x whatever?

1078?

800 x 600?

Gimme a bone here!

Steve

No can do smile.gif

The problem is that people have so different preferences of what they think is an acceptable framerate, how much AA/AF they want and whether they see any difference in texture quality from loading better textures.

Of course a 7600 should be fine for CM:SF, but I'm a little worried about the partial memory sharing with main memory. That didn't work out so well with the Turbocache junk. And although CM:SF will have low requirements total compared to other games, it might load a whole bunchload of textures and then you are certainly way beyond 128 MB.

You need to study a couple review sites, I'm afraid.

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Redwolf:

No, Steve, a 7600 is certainly not able to drive 1440x900 in many current games, e.g. Stalker. Also, if this is a laptop and a mobile 7600 the equation changes again.

The CPU is fine. Windows sucks smile.gif

1200 x whatever?

1078?

800 x 600?

Gimme a bone here!

Steve </font>

Although its not a pc... my rig sounds similar to what MrSpkr is after.

iMac 17"

2.0 ghz C2D

128mb ATI X1600

2GB RAM

Windoze XP Professional SP2

The above setup runs ToW perfectly fine @ 1440x900... Im betting that CM:SF will run fine too

Is it the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 graphics card that would hold its performance back? whats the difference? sorry if this is stupid question... Im not too well versed on what cards are better than others

Anyone care to comment on the whether or not

getting a Quad core (Q6600) is a better choice

than the Duo E6850? Both are the same price now. (@ $266)

I realize CMSF doesn't take advantage of

multi-core (or so I think I've read) but if Im

putting together a new machine, should I just

get the Quad?

Be gentle, Im not an uber geek. :D

BTW - does software have to be specially written

to benefit from a quad core? IE - I've got an

older version of Sony Vegas. Would my video

rendering benefit at all? Or would the dual core

be just as good.