sad update about my soundmod...

just thought id let you all know that there will be no further updates to my soundmod for this game.

my computer is all messed up and i cant fix it... i need to buy a new one, but since im on welfare at the moment that isnt exactly on the horizon.

so until i get a job and a new computer there will be no further soundmods for this or any other game from me.

sorry guys.

but on a good note, my soundmod was almost complete (i was gonna move on to non-weapon related sounds, but all the gun stuff was basically done)

well... its probarbly the graphicscard...

theres only one game thats stable on this computer right now... and thats jagged alliance 2 (an old 2d game) but even that has some graphics quirks, but only in the interface

when i play any other game it starts getting graphics bugs after about one day... then it gets worse all the time and spreads to other games (including jagged alliance 2).

if i uninstall the game and re-install it the bugs are still there... this happens all the time.. i install a new game and it works fine for the first day...

this goes for all games... new or old... same deal...

so ill have to wait... its a hardware problem.

but the computers been on the fritz for a year or two now... so i knew it was coming... just too bad (but not unexpected) that it came now that i dont have any income...

That's a weird one, never heard of anything like that. I'd expect though, that a hardware error would be linked to temperature or some external factor, if something is getting worse progressively on the time you're playing something, then it's software - OR the HDD I guess.

Because how does hardware know what game you're playing? How does it know it's the first time through? It can't.

I'd do a full vx/trojan scan and go visit the "Hijack this!" forums etc.

Could be an overheated Videocard. Graphical artifacts should be related to your VideoCard not working right. Did you overclock your videocard? Try resetting it to factory settings, installing new drivers, updating direct X, etc.

If that dont work, since you have plenty of spare time, you could try disconnecting * from the mobo, make sure everything is dust free and reconnect. Format HD and see what happens then. If its still FU, well, u might buy new video card. Those oldies are for sale for a few bucks now, so even on a tight budget you might be able to get 1.

Anything so you can continue your excellent Sound Mod :D

I was wondering if it would be possible to mod the sound of the A10 Thunderbolt gun strafing. Should sound something like in this movie of dutch and afghan troops:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D1SDvPVxhic

Love that sound smile.gif

Id agree with the guys here, does sound like an overheating gpu, i had a mate whos fan fell off his card and he just glued it back on, it even worked for a few months :D

A format cant hurt either, if its fubar and non responsive right now youve got nothing to lose from a format. Redo everything and start with the last driver combo you know worked.

Even if you go through all that and it still doesnt work it was worth a shot.

Best of british to you old chap.

I recently had a similar problem; screen would go all wacky if I left the computer on for more than a day or two.

As part of my trouble-shooting, I unplugged the monitor cable from the video card and found that somehow a piece of lint had lodged itself among the connector pins. I removed the lint, and voila, since then no problems.

Or it could even be bad RAM...every major problem I ever had was because of bad RAM. It's worth a look. Go through everything everybody has suggested and see if you can figure it out one step at a time.

Good luck.

Mord.

Hi Oddball,

1. As said above return your graphic card to default settings. I would uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them.

2. If that does not work open your case and confirm that the fan on the graphics card is working. I had the same issues as you. I carefully removed the fan. Cleaned and lubricated it. And it has work well since. This is a rather finicky process so be prepared to be patient.

3. If that does not work then as suggested above re-formatt the hardrive.

All the above will not cost you any money. Only time and patience.

4. Lastly, as someone also stated above, check your ram. There is a free diagnostic tool from microsoft. Search under Ram memory diagnostic. If you have to replace RAM it will cost money but not as much as replacing your system.

I hope you can sort out your problems.

regards John

thanx for all the advise boys... i sadly dont have a fan on my card... its one of them with a huge metal heat dispenser thingys...

and that is probarbly the problem...

but since i cant fix it ill just wait til i get a job and buy a new computer.

its definately the graphics card tho since this has only happened since i changed card to this.

interestinly enough tho, if i put the old one in (that came with the box) the computer will just re-boot after 10 minutes or so...

aaaaaanyway... this computer has been wierd since i got it basically... so im kinda fed up with it...

ive had to do numerous re-formats and such...

Non-game specific graphical artifacts (they usually show as coloured blocks randomly on the screen) are almost always related to overheating. Overheating is, if clocking is normal, result of increased thermal resistance.

Check the fans of your graphics gard for accumulated dust. If there is none, the problem is most likely cracked thermal bridge between package and heat sink. Quick fix might be to increase the airfrow trough the heatsink with fans. You have nothing to lose, so i would just pop the heatsink off, scrape old stuff away and glue it back.

By the way, when you are on it, check all heatsinks on your computer for dust. Especially after fresh formats, persisting problem means something has fundamentally changed in your hardware. If these won't solve your problem, we can dig further into it.

[ February 14, 2008, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Tuomio ]

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Well, I gave you the list of test programs that diagnose the problem for almost everybody. I won't do it again, so you can keep guessing or start testing.

Was that posted on the forum? I am interested in checking that out and keeping it for a resource tool but have not found it.