Preview @ Out of Eight

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen rounds curve in-flight, but I don't know if they were Javelins or not. When there's a whole bunch of rounds flying around the screen, I don't really notice what type they are ;)

So, in short, I shrug my shoulders.

I believe the bird is the African unladen swallow. Or is it European?

[ May 30, 2007, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: JaguarUSF ]

Originally posted by allenj7:

Expert:

Friendly units need to be spotted. This means you can lose contact with friendly units (and can't issue them commands or know anything about them) if you move them too far from their commander. That's pretty damn cool and it prevents people from covering a large portion of the map with token forces.

[/QB]

This sounds like the best thing in the game I have heard of. A way to limit the all-seeing-eye problem. I personally call it friendly unit FOW. I had thought that perhaps you should be able to issue commands to them, but you just didnt know if the unit would receive them or even if they were alive for that matter.

I assume that they keep fighting under the control of the TacAI - they are just not under user control anymore.

It mostly happens for the Syrians; their radio equipment isn't very good and some of the units aren't even issued one. This is not really an issue for the U.S. troops, since they have sat com as well.

You can still issue orders to them and they appear on the map, but it has a great effect on morale if they can't communicate with their superiors.

I got my dirty little hands on some of the official scenarios, so you can consider the following an addendum to my review.

It's clear that CMSF will totally kick your ass if you just go after the enemy straight on. Most of the ones I played put the Syrians in good defensive positioning and they have enough weaponry to take out a vast majority of your Stryker-lead forces at short to medium ranges. Gasp! It's almost like real war, where you must plan ahead of time and soften them up with artillery or long range weapons before you go in, or engage them at large distances. City fighting is especially intense, with lots of enemy units hiding in buildings and the line of sight rules means people can sneak up on you, conventional or otherwise (and the "otherwise" can equal "big boom"). People accustomed to more "traditional" (and by "traditional" I mean "retarded," and by "retarded" I mean this) RTS games will be in for a shock, as well as people from previous CM games; the lethality of modern vehicles and weapons is much higher at further distances. No longer do tanks and APCs dominate the battlefield: a well placed infantry unit with an RPG can make quick work of them. You had better worry about cover for not just your infantry, but also your Strykers: sitting them in open ground is asking for trouble. CMSF is looking like a very authentic tactical wargame.

But isn't that something that could backfire ? I mean I don't mind losing if I make mistakes, but being treated too harsh isn't fun for me, as authentic a game can be. I'm buying CMSF as game first, authentic simulation second.

Another question: are there options to set the speech of Syrian troops ? I was thinking of the Battlefield franchise where you can switch between native speaking OPFOR (ie Arabic ) and English speaking OPFOR.

[ June 01, 2007, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Fugazzi ]

Originally posted by Fugazzi:

But isn't that something that could backfire ? I mean I don't mind losing if I make mistakes, but being treated too harsh isn't fun for me, as authentic a game can be. I'm buying CMSF as game first, authentic simulation second.

What you think a product might be when you buy it is probably secondary to what it was actually designed to be as far as reality goes. ;) You can buy a Sunfire as a station wagon first, sedan second - until you try stuffing a chaise lounge in the back seat.

Nice one ! Though I rather have a Tiger Truck. Well I am more willing to learn, and if CMSF is an accurate representation of modern assymetrical combat so be it. But sometimes I feel "scared" of how much knowledge and patience will I need in order to enjoy CMSF. There are no military academies I can attend to where I live ! ;P

but what an RPG might do to a Stryker
That's what jane's and youtube are for!

Seriously, I'm just the reverse of you. I don;t know squat about WWII hardware, but I know modern like the back of my hand. It never spoiled CMx1 for me for an instant. I would just look it up on the internet!

Originally posted by JaguarUSF:

I got my dirty little hands on some of the official scenarios, so you can consider the following an addendum to my review.

It's clear that CMSF will totally kick your ass if you just go after the enemy straight on. Most of the ones I played put the Syrians in good defensive positioning and they have enough weaponry to take out a vast majority of your Stryker-lead forces at short to medium ranges. Gasp! It's almost like real war, where you must plan ahead of time and soften them up with artillery or long range weapons before you go in, or engage them at large distances. City fighting is especially intense, with lots of enemy units hiding in buildings and the line of sight rules means people can sneak up on you, conventional or otherwise (and the "otherwise" can equal "big boom"). People accustomed to more "traditional" (and by "traditional" I mean "retarded," and by "retarded" I mean this) RTS games will be in for a shock, as well as people from previous CM games; the lethality of modern vehicles and weapons is much higher at further distances. No longer do tanks and APCs dominate the battlefield: a well placed infantry unit with an RPG can make quick work of them. You had better worry about cover for not just your infantry, but also your Strykers: sitting them in open ground is asking for trouble. CMSF is looking like a very authentic tactical wargame.

Do you happen to have any AAR for us? That'd be great, I enjoy reading AARs from the previous CM games.

Originally posted by rune:

Going to draw the line here, the AARs would give away too much work we have done on scenarios, that is meant to be a surprise to the player.

I'll talk with Steve to see if we can cook up something for an AAR.

Rune

So the troops of Syrian Girl Scouts charging with slingshots at the ready would give away too much, huh?

Joe