Preview @ Out of Eight

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice preview.

What i don't get is the description of the new WEGO-system: if the action is not calculated prior, couldn't i reload the oponents turn as often as i want and watch the results until the result will be as expected?

And how many emails are necessary per turn?

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Nice preview.

What i don't get is the description of the new WEGO-system: if the action is not calculated prior, couldn't i reload the oponents turn as often as i want and watch the results until the result will be as expected?

Good question......But I really hope BFC will bring back the old WEGO system. :(

@JaguarUSF

Nice preview. ;)

Since this wouldn't make any sense and be a huge step backward in the WEGO-system, and because i trust in Battelfront, this can't be the case.

So i guess you mean, that the VISUAL representation of the turn is not calculated prior, but the results are ofcourse.

So we have to watch the action turn in realtime, the graphics engine receives and stores all data, and afterwards we can rewind, ff how we like it. Is that correct?

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Since this wouldn't make any sense and be a huge step backward in the WEGO-system, and because i trust in Battelfront, this can't be the case.

So i guess you mean, that the VISUAL representation of the turn is not calculated prior, but the results are ofcourse.

So we have to watch the action turn in realtime, the graphics engine receives and stores all data, and afterwards we can rewind, ff how we like it. Is that correct?

In that case I don't understand the huge pbem files.

I don't mind staring at the ceiling for a minute before every turn, but I really hope the animation replay works the same as in CMx1. Or better.

Why is this a setback? There is no turn process anymore which is good. 10-20 boring secs isnt big deal anyway I think.

Well written and informative preview btw. Ricochets of buildings? Nice touch. I wonder, is there any eye-candy improvement when a vehicle is hit. Like shaking on shell impact, hatches bouncing, or anything. I've been spoiled a little by the details of TOW to be honest, which must be the most impressive thing to witness in this game. I dont expect CMSF to be like this but I've seen some screens with multiple plums of fire/smoke on tanks, like they have been hit in different locations. Could be my idea though...

Here is how WEGO works:

1. While the game is paused, you issue orders to your troops.

2. The game plays for one minute in real time that can't be fast forwarded.

3. The game plays a replay of what you just saw that can be fast forwarded.

Sorry if it wasn't as clear as it could have been. I'm not sure how this will impact PBEM, but it's in there as an option so I'm sure it works. The change is that it resolves the turn in real time as you are watching and gives you a replay of it, instead of resolving it in the background and just giving you the replay.

The graphics are still a work in progress; there are some textures that aren't done, but a lot of the effects are intact like the suspension and nice explosions (VBIEDs are my favorite).

I'm logging in as a different account since I can't seem to remember my password (it must be really secure then!).

So If I understood correctly, the player can't choose his troops, he can only play with the troops given by the scenario designer ? Or can he only choose his troops from the ones in the custom list of the scenario designer ?

Also, would you mind expanding on the different realism settings ?

Cheers,

Troops in a regular battle are chosen by the designer, not the user. Troops in a quick battle are chosen by the player since there isn't a designer.

Beginner:

Friendly units always spotted.

Less casualties and better morale.

Fast treatment of wounded soldiers.

Fast artillery and air support.

Fully identified enemy units when spotted (including who is alive and the vehicle conditions), and the are instantly shared among all units.

Veteran:

Friendly units are always spotted.

Enemy contacts aren't automatically identified and spotting information must be transmitted through the C&C rules.

Slightly faster than real life healing and arty.

Enemy status unknown unless vehicle is on fire or crew bails.

Expert:

Friendly units need to be spotted. This means you can lose contact with friendly units (and can't issue them commands or know anything about them) if you move them too far from their commander. That's pretty damn cool and it prevents people from covering a large portion of the map with token forces.

Realistic enemy ID.

Painfully realistic healing, arty, and air support times.

[ May 29, 2007, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: allenj7 ]

No more Random maps!

True,BF has said that random maps are too complicated, so it's out. I'm sure there will be tons of map sites within days of the release.
80-90% of all the games I played from the first three CM games were random map games. TOW doesn't have a ramdom map or scenario genrator, and there are less then a half dozen missions and zero campaigns available so far and the game has been out for a month!

I used to love random maps too, until I got fed up with just how random they really were. Roads running into houses, lakes on the top of hills, etc. For CMBB and CMAK I went and downloaded map packs for my quick battles and I haven't looked back. I expect no less from CMSF - tons of great and logical maps made by users.

Originally posted by pad152:

The new WEGO system sounds like a 60 second pauseable RTS or am I wrong!

I think this is incorrect.

CMx2 is substantially different "under the hood" -- it calculates everything "on the fly" so no more turn calculation wait between turns.

But as far as the interface goes, AIUI, the WEGO mode works exactly the same way as with CMx1. That is, you issue orders, press GO, and then watch the "movie"; you cannot issue orders at all during the movie phase.

A pausable RTS game would allow you to issue orders during the movie action. AIUI, you can do this in CMx2, but only in the "Real Time" mode, not WEGO.

As far as Random maps, I agree that the comparison with ToW is apples to oranges. CM:SF is shipping day one with a fully featured map and scenario editor. TOW did not. I suspect it will be only days after release, if not hours, before good quality user-made maps start popping up.

Loss of completely random maps is regrettable, but a worthwhile trade-off for more fully-featured, detailed maps, IMHO. And in any event, within a month or so of release, you'll be able to download 100+ user made, roll a die to randomly select one, and then play your QB on that. The results will probably be far better then the randomized hodge-podge CMx1's random generator would mix up. :D

Cheers,

YD