My Two Cents

I'm a long time CM fan and I think the new CMSF is brilliant.

I have every confidence in Battlefront and that they will resolve bugs and glitches in the near future.

I know the huge effort that goes into creating something as relatively uncomplicated as a magazine and I can't begin to imagine the job that goes into making a game as sophisticated as this.

My own belief is that this game is going to shine in the intense infantry firefights rather than in big armored battles. That's A-OK with me. The infantry fights are spectacular.

Any chance we'll ever see Israeli and Hezbolla/Hamas units in the future?

Congratulations and thank you Battlefront!

Hi Eric,

Welcome. We have no plans on adding an IDF Module. We're keeping our focus on the Syrian storyline and that means keeping the story in Syria smile.gif

Our rough expectation for Modules is:

1. US Marines

2. British

3. Some sort of mishmosh of Euros and Canadians, largely influenced by what equipment we have to add.

If we do Modules for foreign militaries we will try to retain commercial rights to at least the basic elements, which would mean more Modules. So at this point it looks like the only chance of an IDF Module is if we do a contract with the IDF itself. I never say never, but I'd not be counting on that happening :D

Steve

All the add-ons seem focused on BluFor. Will the Red side be getting any additional equipment in upcoming modules?

Personally, I'd love to see the growth of both Blue and Red equipment, so that eventually we can move from Syria to Fulda. (Yeah, yeah, you've heard it before...)

Originally posted by Aacooper:

Steve,

What do you mean by commercial rights? I'm curious - did you have to have some arrangement with the US & Syria militaries to do CMSF? That sounds strange.

AIUI, what he is talking about is the possibility that the IDF (or some other military/government entity) would pay Battlefront money to do a certain module for their use. This is not unheard of, a number of games have had such funding.

As part of the agreement, Battlefront would like to be able to sell the game to its customers, but that is subject to the approval of the group paying them. (There may be classified information used in the game, or other reasons for not allowing the sale).

My guess is that Battlefront isn't necessarily holding out for a military contract. If you get enough people together and offer enough money, I'm sure Battlefront would do an IDF module. ;)

--Philistine

Originally posted by Maastrictian:

For the record, I would be much more likely to purchase a module that includes IDF units than one that includes US Marines or Canuks.

--Chris

Same here. I just don't find the idea of a USMC module very appealing. What are the interesting differences between the TO&E of the USMC and US army anyway? I can't imagine any non-grognard paying to get USMC added to the game without any new features.

Israel and Syria could very conceivably go to war over the Golan.

Also Israel and Syria once almost went to war when Syria was posturing to invade Jordan. Could happen again.

In any event I really just wanted to say thanks to the guys at Battlefront for the effort on this great game. People often say wargaming is dead or dying. When I see games like CMSF I am very confdent that this prediction is not true.

I agree also with an IDF over USMC expansion. Our MTOE's are somewhat similar and certainly weapons are the same as the USMC. I think it would be a realistic possibility that IDF would come north to support a NATO/US coalition since they are the tenant residents of southern Syrian occupation on a regular basis.

Folks,

I think the underlying reason Battlefront will not do an IDF module has more to do with the general opinions in Europe about Israel, and very little to do with the interesting military scenarios/kit. It seems that Battlefront has many European customers, and Europeans right now are fairly anti-Israeli. So they might be alienating a large customer base.

If you need any evidence of this, check back for previous threads about the IDF - it's only a matter of time before someone drops a post burning with anti-Israeli rage and borderline anti-Semite hostility.

So I doubt the module will ever happen, no matter how interesting the idea.

One reason the IDF won't be in game is the same reason the IDF wasn't in the 1st Gulf War. If the IDF would attack Syria all the bases for the US in the Arab world would suddenly go away. The US would apply serious pressure on Israel if they so much hinted at getting in the way.

That and the IDF has a real image problem and making a game about them could get ugly for BFC.

But yeah, I'm not to big on a Marine expansion either. I'd rather the see Brits and German/Dutch.

It seems to me that you Battlefront guys are REALLY locked in to this hypothetical Syrian campaign. I really like the game but I don't "believe" in the scenario. Forgetting for a moment the urban COIN forces, there is no real challenge for the US in Syria. The US army will blow the Syrian Army away. Sure, it might get ugly but US Air Superiority and know-how will ensure that the Syrians never get any strategic advantage.

The resurrection of the Russian military that we're seeing now is quite an interesting one for us too. I'd much prefer to see the full gamut of modern Red Force equipment instead of restricting it to just Syrian equipment. And then let us do with it what we will.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

It seems to me that you Battlefront guys are REALLY locked in to this hypothetical Syrian campaign. I really like the game but I don't "believe" in the scenario. Forgetting for a moment the urban COIN forces, there is no real challenge for the US in Syria. The US army will blow the Syrian Army away. Sure, it might get ugly but US Air Superiority and know-how will ensure that the Syrians never get any strategic advantage.

The resurrection of the Russian military that we're seeing now is quite an interesting one for us too. I'd much prefer to see the full gamut of modern Red Force equipment instead of restricting it to just Syrian equipment. And then let us do with it what we will.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of that, but that would be, ummm...VERY NICE! Maybe with the Marine/Brit-Canada/MixEuro add-on packs we can add some Russian tech into the mix as well!

So at this point it looks like the only chance of an IDF Module is if we do a contract with the IDF itself. I never say never, but I'd not be counting on that happening
Why does BFC need a contract to model IDF forces?

What the make up of a IDF tank company and/or use or display of IDF is now a patent or copy right issue?

If the US every attacked Syria, one could see Syria attacking Israel to try to draw others Arab states into the conflict. After Afghanistan, Iraq, then Syria other Arab states may think they are next anyway.

I for one, don't see any Euro forces fighting in the middle east every again, hell most NATO forces won't even allow their troops to get their hands dirty in Afghanistan.

NATO is the really paper tiger and Russia has just begun to figure this out. You couldn't get the NATO countries to agree on where to go for a free lunch let alone do anything.

Originally posted by pad152:

Why does BFC need a contract to model IDF forces?

What the make up of a IDF tank company and/or use or display of IDF is now a patent or copy right issue?

I think the issue is that BFC have stated that they would not do an IDF module without a very good reason. Israel giving them a nice contract to do so would be such a reason. I can certainly understand why they feel that way. As much as I would love to see the IDF in CMSF, anything with Israel has the potential to become politicized, and throw in a conflict with Syria and the internet and you get some problems.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Hi Eric,

Welcome. We have no plans on adding an IDF Module. We're keeping our focus on the Syrian storyline and that means keeping the story in Syria smile.gif

Our rough expectation for Modules is:

1. US Marines

2. British

3. Some sort of mishmosh of Euros and Canadians, largely influenced by what equipment we have to add.

If we do Modules for foreign militaries we will try to retain commercial rights to at least the basic elements, which would mean more Modules. So at this point it looks like the only chance of an IDF Module is if we do a contract with the IDF itself. I never say never, but I'd not be counting on that happening :D

Steve

A mishmosh of Euros. Surely you mean the Dutch, who have been in Iraq and Talitubbystan (also known as Afghanistan) for years. Give us the Dutch!

P.S. Yeah I'm Dutch, but that has nothing to to with it :)

i think one serious issue with adding more modern armor forces (e.g. Israeli, French, ex-USSR) is that with current level of modelling it would require major (if not massive) code additions and speculations because of all those active defense kits.

but it would be sweet to play with Merks, Leclercs, BTMP-84s, T-90s, up-to-date BMP-3s and such.

Originally posted by Lindan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ptwobjb:

[schnipp...] .... and Europeans right now are fairly anti-Israeli. So they might be alienating a large customer base. [schnipp]

I don't know where you got this from, but this is total bull****. </font>