At what difficulty do you play CMSF and why?

Veteran. I started off with elite, but switched when I realised that original omission of the pause feature was probably the worst design decision in the whole game (and that's up against some pretty strong competition). I know that's been remedied, so I must give elite another go sometime.

I enjoy the game the most in Veteran mode. Why? Two reasons, I guess.

1. I've always felt like if I had to crank a game's difficulty level all the way to the max in order to have a fun, challenging, and interesting play experience, then it probably wasn't a game worth messing with for any length of time. To me, the highest difficulty settings should be reserved for some indeterminate point in the future when I've beaten every scenario several times, know where the enemy is and roughly what the enemy is going to do, and still want to be challenged somehow.

2. If there's one fault with the game, I tend to think it's that the LOS and spotting elements are unrealistically restrictive, even on Veteran mode. I often find myself saying "Look, of course you can see that enemy unit. It's right there, damnit!" Elite mode just increases my frustration with that aspect to the point where I don't enjoy the game as much.

Veteran. I'm all for full FOW as that's how I played CMBB but CMSF's treatment of spotting friendly units on Elite difficulty was, frankly, too annoying. Adjacent units separated by only a few tens of metres shouldn't be scratching their heads wondering where their buddies are. The need to deselect a friendly unit in order to select another friendly was a PITA.

Veteran, for a practical reason (as already mentioned by others): I can't select multiple units if the first selected unit has no LOS to the other units. Since I think that the LOS system even in elite mode is only half baked, I don't feel the need to make the game just uncomfortable to use for me.