Map editor

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

How many different types of terrain are availible? Would it be possible to create Western European type terrain with the map?

You can approximate it; no water or bridges, but you can approximate this too by judicious use of other types of impeding terrain.

I suspect clever terrain mods will get you deciduous foliage and even snow.

I did up a map of the SL scenario "Action at Kommerscheidt" (board 12 and 5) and was delighted to finally be able to simulate the "Marketplace" on board 12 in CM (2nd story but no 1st story). Even with Syrian foliage, the map looked pretty cool. If you are thinking of doing Yugoslavian or even Russian/US scenarios, I think you'll be pleased. There are good European ground covers - grass, grain and brush in the game, for example, as well as paved roads.

Originally posted by KAding:

There are no rivers and bridges in Syria? ;)

How many opposed river crossings have you heard about in Iraq or Afghanistan? ;)

Actually, at least two of the scenarios do feature bridges, which you will see after July 27th. (I seem to recall them as being part of the campaign but my failing memory may have them confused with standalones - in any event, you'll be pleased with the ingenuity of a couple of the premiere scenario designers.)

[ July 17, 2007, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I know I've read of several, but off-hand can't recall where to go back and find the links.

However, the differences between Iraq, (which is called "The land between the rivers", no? ), the adavance up from Kuwait, and Syria may make the absence of river crossings in CMSF unimportant.

To be honest though I have not spent much time studying the Syria maps...

You can still simulate bridge fights; I am thinking of Julian Cook at Nijmegen and the simulation of rubber boats...those are out. A clever scenario designer - there were a few on the beta team - should be able to replicate bridge battles in CM:SF with a little finessing of the editor; you wouldn't be able to go under the bridge - you can probably imagine what I'm talking about as you read this - but it is possible.

Still, it seems inevitable that some would start to concentrate on what is not possible in the editor rather than what is. My own fault I suppose for bringing it up in the first place. There are no parachute or glider capabilities either if anyone wants to rail about that, too. tongue.gif

Using the map editor I suppose you could get a reasonable European map or two out of it. Not sure about CMBO-style NW Europe but most of the Mediterranian countries and southern Steppes for sure. And 'modern urban' landscape looks like modern urban wherever you go. BFC could've made this title 'all things to all people' (including pine trees, beach landings, snow fall, rustic thatched cotteges, etc.) but you then might not've got the game til well after November! Plus if they gave you everything you wanted on the first date other game companies would've started calling them sluts behind their back.

Thanks. I was thinking of trying to reproduce my Hohenfels maps. Lack of rivers or bridges won't be too big of a deal. Any Sibert (sic) Stakes?

I was thinking of reproducing the Neufenauer Gunnery Range map from the first M-1 Tank Platoon game by Microprose, until I realized the map is 64(?) square kilometres. So depending on how big your Hohenfels is, you may find this an issue. You've seen the threads on optimal map size, I take it?

There are "pole" flavor objects that could double as Seibert stakes.

Ya, I'm not really too crushed that assault water crossings, be they via amphibious assault vehcile, rubber boat, floating log, or whatever, are not modeled.

From a eye candy standpoint, lack of water and bridges is unfortunate, but I can live with this given that the tactical effects of bridges and water barriers can be simulated, even if the on-screen imagery is lacking.

But there are certainly water obstacles to be fought over in Syria. Most significantly, the Euphrates runs straight into Syria from Iraq, and is a terrain feature any invasion from that direction would have to deal with.

Originally posted by Pak40:

Well, ther is one small river in Syria call the Euphrates . You may have heard of it ;)

We're not debating the existence of water, just how important its portrayal is in a tactical setting. As YD mentions, would opposed water crossings account for even 1-10th of 1 percent of all combat actions in a modern setting? What was the percentage in the Second World War? The most successful river crossings were unopposed (Patton's crossing of the Rhine and even Montgomery's - the fighting was intense on the far bank but IIRC, there wasn't much shooting at the boys while out on the water?) The Remagen crossing was on a bridge. Nijmegen comes to mind, as does the Meuse, but are these not notable for their rarity?

Just today on my own forum, a fellow told a story about a British general of the Commonwelath Division in Korea who outlined a proposed river crossing for Canadian troops to do. The response from the Canadian commander was unequivocal, and I quote - "no ****ing way." The British general was a bit taken aback, according to the story. ;)

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Thanks. I was thinking of trying to reproduce my Hohenfels maps. Lack of rivers or bridges won't be too big of a deal. Any Sibert (sic) Stakes?

I was thinking of reproducing the Neufenauer Gunnery Range map from the first M-1 Tank Platoon game by Microprose, until I realized the map is 64(?) square kilometres. So depending on how big your Hohenfels is, you may find this an issue. You've seen the threads on optimal map size, I take it?

There are "pole" flavor objects that could double as Seibert stakes. </font>

I would probably do a 2km by 2km chunk which would give enough room to recreate several of the areas we usually fought over. Man I hadn't thought about the old M1 Tank Platoon in a while, that was always one of my favorites.

The Seibert Stakes were a joke. They marked areas of tree line that we were forbidden to drive into.

Well, I'm deadly serious - if you want to take the time, there are pole objects that would look great and add a lot of "flavor" to your map. You might even be able to mod them the correct colour but the ones in game may be too short to be dead ringers. It would look cool, anyway and give your map that training area feel. ;)

Incidentally, you can now mix trees with other terrain types, so I think you can mix trees and impassable terrain types, meaning you could put your little poles around areas of woods and have them actually be impassable to vehicles in the game. I'd have to see if this is possible in the editor - maybe I'm speaking too soon - but trees are not automatically restricted to 'woods' or 'scattered tree' tiles as in CMX1. You can scatter trees onto other kinds of terrain if you want.

You can also have brush (underbrush) or clear underneath if you want. A lot more flexible now.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Here we go again...

Sorry, my bad. </font>Hehe, no I was refering to the water / Euphrates thang. I want to rebuild my old training FOB in Grafenwoehr and blow the shit of it. :D I hated that place. With a passion.

Based on a number of developer comments I am not sure they are in any hurry to bite this off. Bridges and water yes, but landing craft have an enormous ratio of coding to re-playablity. Basically either you have A) managed to get at least some forces ashore in an undefended spot before the bad people show up or B) Are really sure that you have enough air and sea-borne firepower to make it an undefended spot. A defended beach against even second rate modern weapons is just not happening.

I am not sure how you would do it but between tight contours, swamp and rocks and a lot of flavour objects, I think you could model a pretty good city dump.

Not something you would associate with games of CM:BO to CM:AK, but definitely a feature from Mogadishu to Kabul, hell in a lot of third world countries whole communities earn there livings scavenging from them.

It may seem a daft feature to fight over, but as militants have hidden out in graveyards, maybe the local dump maybe isn't that crazy.

Peter.

Did anyone really make serious river crossing missions in CMBO / CMBB / CMAK? The TACAI handled it so awfully that it became an exercise in frustration more than anything. I only really used water tiles in the editor to deny spaces, make fords or aesthetics. I don't really see it being a complete loss at all.