I see Peng people challenging around like regular people

Bears will be bears

Monday, May 15, 2006

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Bears killed and ate a monkey in a Dutch zoo in front of horrified visitors, witnesses and the zoo said Monday. In the incident Sunday at the Beekse Bergen Safari Park, several Sloth bears chased the Barbary macaque into an electric fence, where it was stunned.

It recovered and fled onto a wooden structure, where one bear pursued and mauled it to death.

The park confirmed the killing in a statement, saying: "In an area where Sloth bears, great apes and Barbary macaques have coexisted peacefully for a long time, the harmony was temporarily disturbed during opening hours on Sunday."

"Of course the habitats here in the safari park are arranged in such a way that one animal almost never kills another, but they are and remain wild animals," it said.

Witness Marco Berelds posted a detailed report on the incident, including photos, on a Dutch Web site. He said one Sloth bear tried unsuccessfully to shake the monkey loose after it took refuge on the structure, built of crossing horizontal and vertical poles.

Ignoring attempts by keepers to distract it, the bear climbed onto a horizontal pole, and, standing stretched on two legs, "used its sharp canines to pull the macaque, which was shrieking and resisting, from its perch."

The bear then brought the animal to a concrete den, where three bears ate it.

The zoo said it "usually wasn't possible" for keepers to intervene when an animal killed another.

The park plans now to move the Barbary macaques - which are large monkeys but often inaccurately called "Barbary Apes" - to another part of the park, it said.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Abbott:

... several Sloth bears chased the Barbary macaque into an electric fence, where it was stunned.

It recovered and fled onto a wooden structure, where one bear pursued and mauled it to death.

Sounds familiar. Where have I witnessed this behaviour before? *ponders*

Originally posted by Abbott:

The park plans now to move the Barbary macaques - which are large monkeys but often inaccurately called "Barbary Apes" - to another part of the park, it said.

"An area presently populated by lions, tigers, Komodo dragons, Pygmy hunters and Giant Space Lobsters of Doom..."

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

If he one of the 4? It thought it was Berli or somefink. I mean sure he could bore you to death but a plague?

I think he could manage to conjur up a plague of rules & regulations?

Originally posted by Lars:

Alright, which one of you lame-brains let Shaw go camping?

Utah Campground Closed Because of Plague

Now he's gone and buggered up a whole forest.

I am OFFENDED! Were I to infect an area it wouldn't be with [sNEER]Bubonic Plague[/sNEER]. That's so ... 14th Century.

No I utilize either Pneumonic Plague or Septicemic Plague, either of which is far more dramatic and lethal.

Retract your allegation at once Sirrah!

Joe

SILENCE! I have a dramatic announcement to make.

This morning, my friend Small Emma was joined on this planet by her Younger Sister, my new friend Tiny Nora. Nora is small, cute, and mouse-like.

So, as this is a dramatic development and will require my full attention, I have officially ended the hedonistic partying and willful chemical abuse of the 'Seanachai Birthday Celebration Month'.

As of today, I will concentrate on the joyous partying and festive chemical use of the 'Tiny Nora Birthday Celebration Month'.

She's very cute, and when I went to visit her tonight at the hospital, she opened her wee eyes and gave me a look that clearly said: Ah. The face before me clearly indicates that I have been born on the very eve of the Apocalypso. Yay for me.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

SILENCE! I have a dramatic announcement to make.

This morning, my friend Small Emma was joined on this planet by her Younger Sister, my new friend Tiny Nora. Nora is small, cute, and mouse-like.

Oooo... Another little female for you to amuse. How long until she is demanding that you 'hop across the living room while screaming like an idiot' (your words, not mine)?

Before you answer that, if you would, please...

Get down on all fours, pant and bark like an excited Jack Russell puppy until I clap my hands wildly and squeal with delight. That's a good boy.

Oh, and seriously, that's great news that all is well with the arrival of Tiny Nora.

Originally posted by Bugged:

Before you answer that, if you would, please...

Get down on all fours, pant and bark like an excited Jack Russell puppy until I clap my hands wildly and squeal with delight. That's a good boy.

You flirt.

Although, after thinking about it a bit more, please post the pictures.

[ May 17, 2006, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: Lars ]

Originally posted by Sergei:

1135219917092.jpeg

Boo, my ill-fitting former-companion, what were rednecked dollars first words in the 'pool again?

And before you start making a mess of yourself… no, that’s not right

…

And before you finish making a mess of yourself, I’m asking YOU because YOU told me to raise the bloody faux-waffler in the first place… but I forget why, you see?

I only remember the stain on my honour… not the details

PS

How does it feel to be outflanked by a master of the art whilst you’re left stumbling around punching thin air?

Originally posted by Sir 37mm:

Boo, my ill-fitting former-companion, what were rednecked dollars first words in the 'pool again?

Neither do I know or care. Why should you?

And before you start making a mess of yourself… no, that’s not right

What the hell are you talking about, you blithering ninny?

And before you finish making a mess of yourself, I’m asking YOU because YOU told me to raise the bloody faux-waffler in the first place… but I forget why, you see?

No I didn't. Why in the hell would I do that? I didn't ask you to invite any of them in here anymore than I would invite you into any place where humans might possibly congregate.

I only remember the stain on my honour… not the details

So, in Britain, is "honour" a euphanism for underwear?

PS

How does it feel to be outflanked by a master of the art whilst you’re left stumbling around punching thin air?

Dunno. Still waiting for it to happen.