Combat Mission: Gold

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

v1.02 patch for Paradox's retail and download (Gamersgate) versions have been available for a while now. Yeah, there were some problems and the initial one wasn't their fault. That issue should be fixed going forward.

We MAY look into what would be needed to keep CMx1 games running on Vista or whatever is killing them from working. However, I don't know when that may happen, if at all. We are now warning new customers that the games may not work if they upgarde.

And as for the hubris about our decision to not lose focus and not continue to mess around with the CMx1 code... it's not a matter of not listening, it is a matter of not getting outselves entangled into something that we have ZERO incentive to get tied up in. Whatever business case can be made for revamping the old CMx1 pales in comparison with the business case for investing that time/energy/money in CMx2. If a customer says "I want your games to be free" and we say "no" it isn't because we aren't listening, it's because we don't think the request is worth doing.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We MAY look into what would be needed to keep CMx1 games running on Vista or whatever is killing them from working. However, I don't know when that may happen, if at all. We are now warning new customers that the games may not work if they upgarde.

That's very reasonable of you, thank you.

And as for the hubris about our decision to not lose focus and not continue to mess around with the CMx1 code... it's not a matter of not listening, it is a matter of not getting outselves entangled into something that we have ZERO incentive to get tied up in. Whatever business case can be made for revamping the old CMx1 pales in comparison with the business case for investing that time/energy/money in CMx2. If a customer says "I want your games to be free" and we say "no" it isn't because we aren't listening, it's because we don't think the request is worth doing.

Steve

Now, now, no one said free. That's like me saying "but Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve there are mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmilllllions of us who want to pay a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzillllllllllion dollars a piece for CMX1 - are you some kind of a lunkhead?" The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I know what it is like to lose focus; I admire yours. I have a dozen writing projects on the go. I actually managed to publish two books this year, neither of which will make any money (thank God I don't try and do it for a living - I'd starve). Kind of my own CMX1; I did them because I enjoyed the subject matter and knew they wouldn't sell. (I won't make you apologize for sucking my writing time away by making me work on your game project, and for free, either :-P)

So I guess we shouldn't push you too much, if you're anything like as weak willed or easily distracted as me.

Still, something in the back of my head says that if we could just somehow convince you that CMX1 Gold was all your idea...did I show you the new watch I bought, by the way? Look how shiny it is as I suspend it in front of your eyes. Concentrate on it, and breathe deeply, will you. Excellent. You're getting sleepy...sleepy...

[ August 21, 2007, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

The only way I see this happening is if Curt Schilling's Advanced Squad Leader interests have crossed over to Combat Mission and he decides to fund it. It would take a sugar daddy with his kind of bucks to finance it cause Battlefront won't do it on their own.

My feelings exactly. the only hope would be for someone to pay to get the rights to the CMx1 programming, then pay to have it updated and completed into a one in all package, knowing that the return in dollars would not happen. In the computer world not enough sells would happen with such a outdated system. But all the grogs here would receive a gift that appears to not likely be found in the near future or maybe future at all.

Guest BigAlMoho

It just hit me that if this new code is so organized and documented and easy to work with, etc. then maybe BFC could contract that out and free up BTS(Charles) to finish CM1... Brilliant!

Something is terribly wrong here. We should all be raving about how we can't wait for the WWII release of CMx2, yet here we are wanting an updated version of the game that was released 7 years ago. Very disheartening to a lot of wargamers who have been passionate fans of CM for years.

Someone with a couple of million dollars disposable cash needs to wire it directly to Steves' account, immediately. Then we'll get the update to the classic and unsurpassable CMx1.

The problem with CM:SF is that it does'nt play as nicely as the previous CMs. I've only played the new demoes but the feeling they gave me was the wish that I was playing the earlier CMs. (Which is not possible as my old Mac is now History and for some technical reasons they not only don't work on Mac OSX :D but also PCs...).

So I for one would fork out for a gold/platinum if it included the previous Uberised CMs.

So to that end Ditch the WEGO in CM:SF make it RT only and rake in the cash - AND patch up CM:BB/AK into CM:TFM. (and while you'r at it fix the road movement and winterized versions for all units please).

This will fill your coffers and keep your old (Aging anyway) Customers happy.

David

= The Full Monty

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

Any chance of the BFC being persuaded by a petition of say, 10,000 signatures?

How many signatures would it take?

i remember seeing somewhere a sales estimate for CM and i think it was around 100 000 copies. i don't remember if it was just for CMBO. someone with some extra time could try to google it.

anyway, we are talking big money here. to get into meaningful figures we'd need something like 10 000 preorders, 100 dollars a piece. never going to happen.