Combat Mission: Gold

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Not to mention the effort required to update all the 3d models to match CM:AK standards.

With all the mods out there, I wouldn't think that this would be necessary - but then again, I don't know what's involved in updating CMBO to CMAK standards.

And yeah, I'd buy it. Any chance of the BFC being persuaded by a petition of say, 10,000 signatures?

How many signatures would it take? </font>

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Speedy:

Upgrade CMBO and wait an extra 6 months for CMx2 WW2. Who wants that?

Just because Battlefront has only a limited number of programmers does not mean they couldn't hire more or contract the mods out or even have somebody do the programming on a commission basis. It's not like component programmers are such a rare commodity that potentially profitable coding has to be passed up due to the shortage.

Well being Steve's opinion seems to be ...

New Engine: This thing is awesome, I love working with it. Why just the other day we threw together the whole Franco-Prussian War cause we were bored. Piece of cake to throw new units in (as long as you have the right video card to run it).

Old Engine: This thing is awful, in a beautiful kind of way but still awful. Once I needed to change the firepower of squad by five points at 200m range. It took me nearly 18 hours, a stomach ulcer, lying to our wives, and I had to mug someone on the street because we were out of money and had no food. Given the choice of working on this engine again or being waterboarded while watching a 24 hour gigli marathon I still wouldn't touch CMx1 again.

Also the thing won't make another dime.

Needless to say I wouldn't mind seeing it but think the chances are almost non-existent.

Originally posted by Sequoia:

The only way I see this happening is if Curt Schilling's Advanced Squad Leader interests have crossed over to Combat Mission and he decides to fund it. It would take a sugar daddy with his kind of bucks to finance it cause Battlefront won't do it on their own.

hell no he should concentrate on pitching. as long as he gives up 5 in 6ip he has a computer ban as far as i am concerned

Originally posted by fritzthemoose:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sequoia:

The only way I see this happening is if Curt Schilling's Advanced Squad Leader interests have crossed over to Combat Mission and he decides to fund it. It would take a sugar daddy with his kind of bucks to finance it cause Battlefront won't do it on their own.

hell no he should concentrate on pitching. as long as he gives up 5 in 6ip he has a computer ban as far as i am concerned </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by fritzthemoose:

hell no he should concentrate on pitching. as long as he gives up 5 in 6ip he has a computer ban as far as i am concerned </font>

Originally posted by fritzthemoose:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Originally posted by thewood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Originally posted by thewood:

You are so far behind. He's playing Advanced Roger the Magnificent (ARtM) and I heard it rox. The only problem is its expensive and the games are short. Sequel next year.

i am sticking with the reviews and they claim the that game from 86 was much superior to the latest one. in fact the currant one should be full of bugs lasts only for a short time and as u said very expensive :D

Hi,

I hope those of you who are not keen on CMX2 get what you wish for. I think CMX2 a way better engine but each “to their own”.

When it comes to CMX1/CMBB the thing I would like to see, and would pay good money for, it a version that addresses the Absolute Spotting issue. This is what killed CMX1 for me. I did not notice it for many years, and then suddenly, when playing CMBB, I could not cope with the lack of realism of it anymore.

A version of CMX1 with something approaching Relative Spotting I would hugely enjoy alongside CMX2 games.

My view is that CMSF is currently the number one wargame. But because CMX1 was such a hugely leap in realism; however you wish to define it, and much else… CMX1 will probably go down as the number one wargame of all time…. for now anyway smile.gif .

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

PS. Michael, it would also be far more feasible to aim at just one tweak, such as Relative Spotting, to update CMX1.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Michael, it would also be far more feasible to aim at just one tweak, such as Relative Spotting, to update CMX1.

What part of NO NEW FEATURES is hard to understand? Seriously? The whole reason for the engine rewrite in the first place was because relative spotting wasn't a "tweak" but a major alteration that COULDN'T BE DONE in the old engine. Good grief.

I'm not asking for new 3d models. Not asking for new features. Don't need new resolution, or interface, or music. Hell, I even love the CM:BO intro music and video. Just gimme all three theatres in the same package. I have no idea how much effort it would take to code. I know I would pay 75 bucks for such a thing. Maybe 100.

I'd volunteer to test it. I'd help write extra scenarios. Got a million ideas that never had time to do for CM:BO before it got obsoleted by CM:AK, and it never seemed "right" to do it for an Africa module. If Steve asked, I'd organize the beta team and whip them like rented mules as we tested the main game interface just to see if we could pick and choose between the theatres. I'll write the manual, or at the least proofread it. Whatever it took. I bet the HSG and some of the other scen designers out there would love to have their creations on such a compilation - and not just any old scens; there are hundreds of quality scenarios out there that would beg for inclusion. Franko's reappearance in the CM:SF forum brought back all kinds of recollections of classic scens for CM:BO - an update for CM:G would be warmly received. Ditto I am sure for Andreas' stuff, Kingfish, et al.

And I would not put forth hare brained ideas for tweaks that are not tweaks but in fact major engine rewrites. Don't need any changes. Wouldn't get 'em anyway.

I'll even let it go that there are Sten Guns in Italy. Isn't important. Let's just be clear on what is being asked, that's all.

AND I REITERATE the advantage this has with the interface to CM:C - since I presume there will be some form of code changes in order to create an interface between the two programs, why not do it with a product that includes all four theatres (NW Europe, Italy, Africa, Eastern Front) and expand your market for CM:C by that much more?

[ August 20, 2007, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I agree with Michael. I would pay for another version of CMX1 which simply had the ETO units in CMBO within the CMAK engine. And I say "simply" because I can't believe it would be that much programming effort to add them, and most of what effort it would take would probably be provided by volunteers. If it would take a huge effort to, for example, add Cromwells into CMAK I'd be really interested to understand in some detail why.

Zero effort seems to be what is available from BF in which the discussion is moot. This seems to be a question of policy, not of will.

Btw, I have bought CMX2. I pre-ordered it and hopefully it may actually arrive in the post sometime.

[ August 20, 2007, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: SteveS ]

Originally posted by SteveS:

I agree with Michael. I would pay for another version of CMX1 which simply had the ETO units in CMBO within the CMAK engine. And I say "simply add" ...

Zero effort seems to be what is available from BF in which the discussion is moot. This seems to be a question of policy, not of will.

YES! Exactly. And with such a product in place, you have expanded your market for CM:C at the same time. Even if we had to lose bocage/hedgerows because they are not in the CMAK/CMBB game engines, I think that too would be acceptable since the Culin hedgerow device was overmodelled anyway. Would love to see the BB and AK terrain sets merged, though, and have factories in Normandy/Italy if possible.

Forget about my japanese remark, although I was just talking a couple smallarms definitions and a new helmet.

But lifting that 1600x1200 limit is most likely a no-brainer.

I also don't see why the CMBO King Tigers would have to be upgraded to the new model standards. Just leave them as they are.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Forget about my japanese remark, although I was just talking a couple smallarms definitions and a new helmet.

But lifting that 1600x1200 limit is most likely a no-brainer.

I also don't see why the CMBO King Tigers would have to be upgraded to the new model standards. Just leave them as they are.

If they could somehow do a merge of BB and AK, you'd have the BB KTs in game, though, right? Basically you'd have almost everything you need for NW Europe with a handful of exceptions, notably Pershing and Cromwell as mentioned above. I think Ram Kangaroo is another one, but AK had the Priest Kangaroo, which is an acceptable substitute in game terms. I think the M18 is another?

I dunno - how long would the least really be? I can't think of any German stuff that was in CM:BO but was not in either AK or BB.