Combat Mission: Gold

Ok, I floated this idea in a couple of other forums after reading this , thought I'd do it in this one. No harm in thinking out loud.

Any chance of quieting the CMX1 crowd with a release of CM: Gold? Basically a bundling of CM:BB and CM:AK on the same disc, as well as an upgrading of CM:BO to CM:BB/AK standards (i.e. death clock, MG modelling, etc.) No new features, just the ability to access all theatres with the same disc, get King Tigers and Pershings playable in the later CM tank modelling, the ability to put factories in Normandy or hedgerows in Russia. Basically compile all of CMX1 in the same place as a final kick at the cat and a nice farewell to the old engine. Hell, make it for download only and you don't even have to pay for disc printing or paper manuals.

With CM:C still under development, an advantage to having a CM:Gold would be that you could then interface with CM:G instead of CM:BB and reach a wider market (fans of North Africa, Italy and NW Europe wouldn't be excluded from CM:C, and the dreaded "but there are no Americans in it" problem wouldn't be a factor.)

I know I'm just a detail-obsessed grog and perhaps would be the only person crazy enough to look backwards and pay money for such a product instead of looking forward to CMX2, but I'd definitely be interested in such a thing if anyone else sees the merit.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be nice, but I just can't see it happening. The team has moved on and I'm guessing there is no real motivation to go back .. and would there really be a demand for it? If only they would get CMC out the door; I doubt we'll ever see it now, but that would be a certain buy for me.

My hypothesis, based on what I've seen posted by BFC, was that the addition or alteration of a single unit required the updating of all the AI to account for the new properties and how it should be reacted to. Not to mention adding more modelling detail to all the CM:BO unique units to account for behind armour effect.

As a results, adding in all the CMX1 vehicles to one would require a huge amount of effort, by the only programmer, Charles, which would put back any other project hugely.

Not to mention the effort required to update all the 3d models to match CM:AK standards.

Personally, I would prefer effort to be directed to improving a new engine without the fundamental flaws of the CMX1 engine. There's too much that still irritates me with the CMX1 engine for me to live with it as the project going forward.

Originally posted by Hertston:

Would be nice, but I just can't see it happening. The team has moved on and I'm guessing there is no real motivation to go back .. and would there really be a demand for it? If only they would get CMC out the door; I doubt we'll ever see it now, but that would be a certain buy for me.

Money is a great motivator. If they smell a profit, it will be done. I understand Valve made a killing when they upgraded the original "Half-Life" to the newer source code. Game was made in 1998 and still selling well. Some folks (like me) think it's great fun to revisit improved versions of old favorites. Put me on the "buy" list.

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hertston:

Money is a great motivator. If they smell a profit, it will be done. I understand Valve made a killing when they upgraded the original "Half-Life" to the newer source code. Game was made in 1998 and still selling well. Some folks (like me) think it's great fun to revisit improved versions of old favorites. Put me on the "buy" list. </font>

Not to mention the effort required to update all the 3d models to match CM:AK standards.
With all the mods out there, I wouldn't think that this would be necessary - but then again, I don't know what's involved in updating CMBO to CMAK standards.

And yeah, I'd buy it. Any chance of the BFC being persuaded by a petition of say, 10,000 signatures?

How many signatures would it take?

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

With all the mods out there, I wouldn't think that this would be necessary - but then again, I don't know what's involved in updating CMBO to CMAK standards.

And yeah, I'd buy it. Any chance of the BFC being persuaded by a petition of say, 10,000 signatures?

How many signatures would it take?

One. Steve Grammont's. And he ain't gonna sign. ;)

-dale

The only way I see this happening is if Curt Schilling's Advanced Squad Leader interests have crossed over to Combat Mission and he decides to fund it. It would take a sugar daddy with his kind of bucks to finance it cause Battlefront won't do it on their own.