Artillery

Dear, dear vincere - you've asked in entirely the wrong fashion. You're supposed to make indignant noises about how they've obviously screwed up the system (not to mention gone to a modern theater!) and how its sad that another good publisher has lost its way.

This rational "Wait, could you please elaborate" will obviously get you no where.

Originally posted by Nemesis Lead:

Will artillery be "cheaper" in CMSF QBs?

In CMAK, CMBO, and CMBB, artillery was too expensive and was therefore not represented to the extent that it should have been in battles.

My guess is that US artillery would be more "expensive" since - well I assume - it is more deadly and more accurate than the WWII versions.

Then again, it might be cheaper because it's easier then ever for infantry to dial home for arty support. WW2 artillery support was much harder to come by for the average infantry man thus more costly to reflect this difficulty. Now that artillery support can be requested at much lower levels the price might drop accordingly to reflect that greater availability.

You're confusing things. Point value in CMx1 has always been based on a unit's utility and killing power on the battlefield, not its relative commonness or ease of access (in the case of artillery).

So if CMx2 uses a similar point system to CMx1, if US artillery is easier and faster to access, this would make it *more* expensive, not less.

The rarity system was a 2nd optional layer added to give some weight to the relative frequency of various weapon systems.

But this is all moot since, according to Rune, there are no "points" in CMx2. I must admit, I'm rather confused by this comment. If CMx2 is going to include the capability for quick battles with player-selected forces *at all*, what's the alternative to some kind of system that sets a value on various units, in order to define and limit how much of what a player can purchase?

I mean, you can call them "force allocation units", or "delicious bits of enemy-killing goodness", or whatever, but they're effectively points, no matter what you call them.

Curious for more details. . .

Cheers,

YD

[ June 18, 2007, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

Perhaps it costs you victory points to use artillery so you are not going to want to. The same reverse logic could apply to getting units too. You can have them but there is a major downside to losing them. The US forces will be so much more powerful than the Syrian forces anyway - will more matter?

Yes; I can see as system like that, where you don't purchase *artillery* directly with points, but you get arty support typical for the infantry/armored force you have purchased, and you pay a price for actually using the artillery, to discourage you from using it unrealistically.

For example, maybe you purchase a US Styker Coy, you get "typical" artillery support; perhaps 120mm mortars, and maybe 155mm Arty, albiet at a much longer delay. Maybe you can also call on air power to drop JDAMS, but there's considerable delay. Maybe if you "purchase" FOs and/or FACS, to you get better response time and accuracy from appropriate off-map support. And, as Caesar notes, if you pay a VP cost for each shell fired and bomb dropped, you can't use it indiscriminately; you have to wait for a good target, where the enemy units destroyed, or other objectives gained, offsets the point loss.

But this isn't really a "no points" system; it's just a variation a points system, where the cost of arty support is factored into the cost of other units, with the added twist that you pay a higher cost for use.

Not a bad system, actually. . .

Cheers,

YD

Regret to inform you that not one of you has it right. I didn't sign an NDA so I can now disclose that the actual system will show an in-game cost meter inspired by the real time accounting in THX 1138. Everything the Allied player does will be meticulously accounted for (to include outrageous war profits), and if you bust the budget, you get no help until Congress passes yet another Emergency Supplemental Bill. Budgets will be tied to assigned mission and/or force size employed, and collateral damage will be treated as a post mission cost debit (and a credit for Halliburton, Bechtel, et al., since collateral damage = rebuilding contracts = profits). Drop a MOAB, if you like, but remember, you may not have hand grenades when you need them!

Regards,

John Kettler

Rune is correct. There are totally different concepts going on within the game as a whole. In the CMx1 sense there are no "points". You also don't purchase individual units like CMx1 either. There is also no CMx1 system of Rarity at work as well. The implication here is that these things are still going on, just not the way you guys are thinking of them. In other words, things are done "under the hood".

The budget for purchasing units is based on the QB settings, but you don't get to see that. CM also has a sense of the value of units, but as formations and not as individal units. This is a more "fuzzy" concept and therefore not the strict math system used in CMx1 (which, as we know, some people had heart attacks over from screaming at us that a this or that tank should be 2.4566 points lower than some other tank:). Again, this is under the hood. As for Rarity, it is again a fuzzy concept that enters into the equations under the hood.

What the new CMx2 system does is make the system a lot less number crunchy and instead a lot more about a realistic, balanced force for yourself as well as the other side.

Steve

See, when asked nicely, I can bring out the big guns to answer questions. smile.gif

Also, don't forget, you can have 2 exact same forces fight it out. Skill with a little luck will determine the winner, not hand picking the sturmtruppen squad mit spatzel und three panzerkampfwagen III mit kitschensink with an artillery spotter with 75mm. Nope, now you have to use proper tactics to win, especially if an even force.

T55MVs vs T-55 mvs. Ahhhhhhhhh

Rune

Hmm but half of the fun in CM's QBs was surprising your opponent and being surprised by some exotic unit selection or unpredictable force mix (variable rarity permitting). Well, anyway, SF wont have that many units and some of them can be pretty unbalancing (kornets, Abraams) so this forced balance might be a good thing.

Awh, what a disappointment - not with the game, i was hoping to see tears and hear gasps and witness the gnashing of teeth when word finally got out that CMx1 points system was gone! You guys are being entirely too level-headed. Not entertaining at all to witness :rolleyes:;)

I will miss the point system. However this system sound like an interesting replacement. Sometimes i like to just pick my perfect force, and not being able to do that will take some getting used to. From the description though, it sounds like it makes for more realistic and balanced gameplay.