CMSF for $7.67 ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. My second copy cost $7.98 (which was the paradox version) a few months ago. I assumed it was a mismarking until I happened into the same store a couple of weeks ago and they still had a stack of them unsold.

Mine cost 19.99 on sale from 39.99 at Best Buy. As for Amazon.com, you can add s&h and wait two weeks to get it. I have Paradox.

I still believe that paying more for the Marine mod then what I paid for the game is a steal though because I rate the game and where it is going above 90% satisfaction.

Unfortunately, retail is motivated to discount quickly and dramatically so they can make room for what is about to come next. They are also used to the average attention span for a game to be a couple of months tops, but usually a few weeks. That's because technology based games always have "something better" ready to replace them before the boxes have even hit the shelves. The big games actually pay to avoid a price drop, or threaten to cut off the seller from future product if they don't play ball. If you have something like Quake, Warcraft, etc. you can do that. Slow and steady selling games, which war and traditional strategy games are, get short shrift because the retailer hasn't an incentive to sell such games after their first couple of WEEKS.

This is a reminder to us why we swore off retail back in 1997 when we formed Battlefront. We decided to see if the greater mix of Internet based resellers would change that in a significant way. It has changed it some, but the overall mentality is the same... if it isn't selling like Half Life or The Sims, slash the price and get it out of the way. Enough said on that, I think.

Steve

Well I for one am quite happy you swore off retail.

I stumbled somehow upon the game (last time I'd checked battlefront was when I played way back the original CM) and wanted instant gratification. Download, and a couple of hours later I was playing it in Beirut. smile.gif Without direct download I would have probably not bothered (a mistake smile.gif ).

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

isn't it odd how CMx1 is still being sold at a higher price than CMSF. and by higher i mean twice the price or more. retailers are rats, but lets delude ourselves for just a second in the fantasy that there's a difference in quality of the product at play in here.

Odd - the first few sites I checked weren't selling any CMx1 products at all.

Originally posted by TheVulture:

well for example compare CMBB and CMSF prices in stores that are also selling thru Amazon.com:

CMSF: $7.67, $9.97, $19.99, $6.99, $6.99, $8.12, $9.67, $10.00 -- average price $9.925

CMBB: $36.67, $36.68, $37.19, $37.75, $59.99, $28.91, $28.92, $29.55, $34.25 -- average price $36.65

by average CMBB costs more than three times as much as CMSF. at highest it costs 8 and half times as much.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheVulture:

well for example compare CMBB and CMSF prices in stores that are also selling thru Amazon.com:

CMSF: $7.67, $9.97, $19.99, $6.99, $6.99, $8.12, $9.67, $10.00 -- average price $9.925

CMBB: $36.67, $36.68, $37.19, $37.75, $59.99, $28.91, $28.92, $29.55, $34.25 -- average price $36.65

by average CMBB costs more than three times as much as CMSF. at highest it costs 8 and half times as much. </font>Well, obviously that means it is three times as good!

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheVulture:

by average CMBB costs more than three times as much as CMSF. at highest it costs 8 and half times as much. </font>

Well, obviously that means it is three times as good!

Obviously! :D

Or it could mean that CMBB has been released 5 years ago and is therefore in short supply, and people are willing to pay collector prices for it ($59.99... heh, it's only $35 - or was it $25 - from our store, maybe we should raise prices again smile.gif ).

CMSF is not only newer but has also been released in retail simultaneous with our internet release (for CMBB this was only done in Europe; the US retail release was a couple(!) years later), and this means that a lot more copies were manufactured and shipped compared to CMBB.

I don't have the total numbers on hand, but I'm pretty sure that CMSF has outsold CMBB (in retail) by far already.

Of course, we do not measure our success in $ alone (unlike Mr. -E "I am laughing all the way to the bank" who posted here earlier seems to do), so we've taken the time to improve on the original release in the past year, and will continue doing so.

(There are few tings more complex to simulate than modern tactical ground combat, so it should be no surprise at all that it's a "work in progress" kind of thing.)

Martin

still, even at BFC partner site gamersgate.com CMBB costs 25.00 euros while CMSF costs 19.99 euros. both are downloadables.

We have a contract with Gamersgate, fixing the price they are allowed to sell CMBB at. :D In the controlled environment of a digital delivery platform, this is possible.

We cannot do this for CMSF however, because Paradox (who btw owns Gamersgate) is the exclusive worldwide retail publisher, and that kind of deal does not work if you try to fix a price. So Paradox is able to set their own price for CMSF, any way they like, and regardless if we like it or not.

Martin

PS. EUR 19.99 is about $30, which goes to show that in retail and outside of their own controlled distribution channel nobody has control over pricing in the retail market except for the retailer. To some extent that's ok by the way, because it allows us to reach a layer of customers who would not check out the game otherwise. But it also means that we will stick to the internet-only model even closer in the future.

Originally posted by Moon:

Of course, we do not measure our success in $ alone (unlike Mr. -E "I am laughing all the way to the bank" who posted here earlier seems to do),

I would prefer not to read something like that, especially not from a forum official!

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Moon:

(unlike Mr. -E "I am laughing all the way to the bank" who posted here earlier seems to do)

Not sure what you meant by that or even how you got that out of it, but if you look again, that price I quoted was for my SECOND copy. The first copy was a pre-order price from here. (I will however admit I didn't want to pay the full original price again just for a backup).

------------------------------------------------

Edit - The above posts (which came in while I was on the phone in the middle of my reply) indicate I may not have been the target of the mud-slinging. However in the context of being the only "Mr. -E" to post earlier in this thread, I believe "Mr. Moon" should clarify which "Mr. -E" he did mean.

[ May 19, 2008, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: -E ]

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Thomm, it's a direct quote from Erik Young in a rather interesting discussion a few years back where Erik came across rather *ahem* mercenary to the detriment of product and customer.

Can't find the thread, but had you read it I am confident you would not have objected to Moon's comment.

Well, I found the thread. Some guy made fun of GIC Combat for the n-th time, and Eric Young responded to this that he just got another contract on GIC. That was all, and then it was blown up into something more sinister. I did not reread what was posted after that, because I have better things to do.

One way or another, I would like the dirty laundry to be left in the closet.

Best regards,

Thomm

Does the price reflect the amount of content? Perhaps since CMBB covers so much it also keeps selling stronger

I wonder if CMSF would be selling at higher price point if it contained Marines from the beginning? Or perhaps if BFC could have spent more time on development before release (like this whole time)

Originally posted by -E:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

(unlike Mr. -E "I am laughing all the way to the bank" who posted here earlier seems to do)

Not sure what you meant by that or even how you got that out of it, but if you look again, that price I quoted was for my SECOND copy. The first copy was a pre-order price from here. (I will however admit I didn't want to pay the full original price again just for a backup).

Edit - The above posts (which came in while I was on the phone in the middle of my reply) indicate I may not have been the target of the mud-slinging. However in the context of being the only "Mr. -E" to post earlier in this thread, I believe "Mr. Moon" should clarify which "Mr. -E" he did mean.

------------------------------------------------ </font>