Any ex-/current T72 tankers out there?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

He must have meant the T-64. Easily confused. The T-62 has a dedicated Human loader, just as the T-54/55 before it.

I could certainly fit in a T-72's commander's position, even with the hatch down, but it would be far from comfortable while moving and over time. Remember, when bouncing up and down over terrain certain physics demand that the commander bounce up and down as well :D Not a problem if you have a few inches of headroom to spare, not so good if you are already almost touching to start with.

Steve

That's what the helmet is fore Steve :rolleyes:tongue.gif .

What T62 does have is auto-eject. The breech comes back, the little door at the back of the turret pops open and the empty case is flipped out. I believe T62 had to go full elevation between rounds not for an autoloader but because the turret ring diameter was too freakin' small to load the breech in anything BUT full elevation! :eek:

Correctamundo, I meant T-64 not T-62. You know, the one with the little not big bogies, and four not three return wheels. And 125mm gun. The one that didn't get exported, was underpowered, and had the funny engine mount.

Mea culpa, once upon a time I took pride on knowing the T-62 has no return wheels, a 115mm gun and stuff like that. Now it seems all kinda silly.

Still, thanks most of youse guys for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Amazing how your priorities change when your life doesn't potentially depend on something. I used to be able to look at a picture of half the return idler and tell you what tank it is and what the crew were having with their coffee. Now you can show me a picture with the name of the vehicle in dayglow letters and I would probably get it wrong.

Bigduke6,

Yes, that's a T-64. For a look at that tank in the early days, be sure to read Suvorov's THE LIBERATORS, wherein he describes all the shennanigans the then Soviets pulled in mounting their gigantic "peep show" called Operation "Dnieper" in 1967. The reverberations of that epic con job were still being felt when I got into Hughes in 1978.

sgtgoody(esq),

Roger that! The other day, I couldn't remember even the names of several common Soviet era fighter radars, but I used to know them all, their operating specs, platforms, and associated missiles.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by MikeyD:

This board pulls in people from all over and the T72's not been a Soviet secret weapon for a long time. Any ex-T72 crew out there?

Ex Finnish army.

First the autolader.

I'm of the impression that its a pretty efficient piece of equipment (much western criticism of the autoloader sounds like quibbling to me) but I hear Russian manuals prohibit tanks from keeping a round chambered for quick-reaction firing.

I don't know if the Russian thing is true, but Finns use HEAT ready in the tube. There is no reason why not to, except that once loaded round can not be removed any other way than firing.

First, is this true, and second, what would a typical quick-reaction time then be between spotting a target, loading and firing?
Loading is one press of button, so not many seconds.

-jippo

I could certainly fit in a T-72's commander's position, even with the hatch down, but it would be far from comfortable while moving and over time. Remember, when bouncing up and down over terrain certain physics demand that the commander bounce up and down as well :D Not a problem if you have a few inches of headroom to spare, not so good if you are already almost touching to start with.

Steve

On the contrary, it is impossible to hit one's head to the roof if it is already touching. ;) I found out that the commanders position was very good since it was rather tight: it keeps you on your seat even whilst bouncing around the countryside.

crewc1.jpg

crewc2.jpg

-jippo

Jippo,

On the contrary, it is impossible to hit one's head to the roof if it is already touching
Well, based on my experience with the Finns on this Forum they don't need helmets anyway. Their heads are so thick that... oh, never mind :D

Seriously though, welcome to the Forum. You'll find that Finns have a special place in this Forum's heart. Despite your blatent overusage of vowels. When someone goes to buy a vowel, and Vanna (Wheel of Fortunate TV game show) comes up empty, we all know who to blame ;)

Steve

Jippo,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />On the contrary, it is impossible to hit one's head to the roof if it is already touching

Seriously though, welcome to the Forum. You'll find that Finns have a special place in this Forum's heart.

Steve </font>

Probably because Finns and residents of Maine (what do you call yourselves, Mainiacs? ) have much in common. Stuck in the Northeast and ignored by the rest of the continent, right.
The rest of the contintent is not ignoring us, we are ignoring them tongue.gif

Two towns over is a nice place that was founded by Finnish miners back in the 19th century. They still have a Finnish "hall" with Finnish dances every year. A friend of mine even went to Finland to increase his knowledge of Finnish folk music. Not many places in the US can say "Finns moved here and actually liked it", so of course I think I would love Finland. Plus, the main thing that Finns dislike about where they live are all the Swedes, which I have no problem with. Therefore, I might like Finland more than the Finns do :D

Steve

Jippo,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />On the contrary, it is impossible to hit one's head to the roof if it is already touching

Well, based on my experience with the Finns on this Forum they don't need helmets anyway. Their heads are so thick that... oh, never mind :D

Seriously though, welcome to the Forum. You'll find that Finns have a special place in this Forum's heart. Despite your blatent overusage of vowels. When someone goes to buy a vowel, and Vanna (Wheel of Fortunate TV game show) comes up empty, we all know who to blame ;)

Steve </font>

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Jippo,

Steve </font>

the original überfinn thread?

700 000 Finns in the US and what have they achieved? :confused:

4345_pamelanaderson2.jpg

Chokachi-as-cody.jpg

Vampiranurmi.jpg

martakristenhat.JPG

i am detecting a pattern of impressive human accomplishments. :rolleyes:

add to the above a Commie party leader, a dog-abusing Survivor winner, a semi-Nazi special forces loser and David Lynch.

freaks and bimbos the whole bunch.

it's really telling that you need to list a "tape archivist for the Grateful Dead" as a supposedly famous Finnish American. :rolleyes::D

undead reinder cavalry,

Regarding the Chinese propaganda film.

1. "Eat at Joe's"

2. Interesting way to capture a "tongue"

3. SEALs do that against ships seized by terrorists, in practically any weather, on the high seas.

4. Tank ascents, with one guy who watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" too many times! Strong argument for use of combat locks.

Regards,

John Kettler