Welcome Newcomers - CM:SF Pre-Release Thread

Given that July 27th is fast approaching, perhaps some of the veteran members of the board might want to take a minute to extend a welcome to the new posters that will certainly be coming here to ask questions and post congratulations, etc.

Maybe we can have some intros of newcomers and veterans alike here, get to know each other? I'd be interested in knowing what possesses new purchasers to pick up CM:SF/register for the board - in 2000 I tried the CM:BO demo after having it enthusiastically recommended to me by a Canadian history fan who found my website and "just had" to tell me that there was a game you could actually command Canadians in it.

Perhaps some of the luminaries like MikeyD, Elvis, Sergei etc. could say a word or two about what they're looking forward to the most about the release.

My own interests are in game design/analysis so I'm looking forward to some in-depth conversations once the shackles are all off and the game is in everyone's hands. I'm hoping we'll find some experts on tactics out there, too, since that is an area I frankly suck at even if I've done a little bit of theoretical study.

Although I would fall under the category of major lurker instead of luminary, as someone who has been playing CM series from pretty early on, im probably most looking forward to finally having a 1:1 representation. Just watching all your guys individually yet still making orders in the same manner as CMx1 seems exciting.

I've been playing since CMBO, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all the changes we talked about finally implemented in a new engine (1:1 included as mentioned above), plus modern combat!

Plus, the modern combat is topical (similar to environments we've seen in recent wars/battles) and lets us play with all our favorite equipment.

I'm just looking forward to an updated CM engine with all the goodness that it brings.

he 1:1 representation of infantry and tracking of every bullet will be nice too see. Also the allready impressive damage system on vehicles will be improved on and I'm very excited about that.

I also look forward to all the new stuff I'm going to learn about modern combat. I learned tons about WW2 combat through playing the early CM games.

Other things that excite me about CMSF :

Things that will go BOM :D !

//Salkin

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Perhaps some of the luminaries like MikeyD, Elvis, Sergei etc. could say a word or two about what they're looking forward to the most about the release.

Word.

I'm looking forward to seeing the wackiest scenario designs to come. The ones chosen to the beta team were supplied with so heavy medication that most of them look quite realistic (nevermind the ones by rune - hee hee) and I'm sure that the full potential of the objective types and weird red-blue force combinations hasn't been capped.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

My own interests are in game design/analysis so I'm looking forward to some in-depth conversations once the shackles are all off and the game is in everyone's hands. I'm hoping we'll find some experts on tactics out there, too, since that is an area I frankly suck at even if I've done a little bit of theoretical study.

This is probably what I'm looking forward to the most. It's not just the playing of the game and learning the new weapon systems involved that's so fun. It's about all the conversations about how they should be used, ie. tactics. As most, like myself, don't have a clue as to how to properly employ a platoon of Bradleys or M1A1s or whatever. Heck I know alot more about WWII stuff than modern era. I have the CMBO/BB/AK games and tons of info from these forums to thank for this.

Hopefully we'll be hearing from vets too, like for example: "If you really wanna know about Bradley tanks then just ask, as I'm sitting in one as I type this.". This stuff will be fascinating. And the threads like the "How it's done in real life Vs. How it's implemented in the game" will also be interesting. :cool:

Hi all

As a long time lurker and sometimes forum member under different user names I am excited to download the new installment on the 27th.

As a former MOWAG Piranha driver in a mech. antitank unit I see myself with a stryker driving through the landscape of syria (all of it in camera position 1 (CMx1)).

cu soon in multiplayer games

I've been around these forums since the CMBO beta demo, although I've never been one of the major voices. I remember when the original Combat Mission concept was planned as a computer version of Squad Leader, which at the time was just what I was looking for.

How far we've come! Now, with CMSF, I'm looking forward to seeing how BTS has pushed their vision of a combat simulator past the constraints of that old Squad Leader model.

Hi, stumbled upon CMBB a few years ago and have learned quite a bit about WW2 warfare. Coming off and on to the forums I really enjoyed the wealth of information (and nutcase threads for that matter) and I am looking forward to that for the new CM as well!

Hope to play quite a few good games with you guys and as always I'll be here off and on! ;)

I'm hardly a forum veteran or luminary so I'll let those who are express what they're looking forward to.

Instead, I'll join the welcome chorus:

Greetings newcomers , and welcome to this great forum. This is a virtual treasure trove of information on the game(s) and subject (combat) at hand. These people can answer practically any question, though the answer may be a bit more elaborate than you'd like :D There are some very clever people here, most of which are happy to help out.

Some of them are a bit, excentric shall we say. In fact, this forum regularly turns into an insane asylum. In particular, you will see threads with rather odd names (which shall remain unnamed here, you'll know when you see them), where the usual forum rules are, erm, "tweaked". These threads are not exclusive to forum veterans, but enter at your own risk.

Early on, you as a newcomer may see yourself referred to as an SSN - Scum Sucking Newbie. Don't read too much into that. Like everywhere else, the old hands like to pick at the new guy, but it doesn't really go any deeper than that.

One more thing: Don't be intimidated by the fact that a lot of forum members seem to know everything about the game and the real-life military equivalent. If there is something you want to know, no matter how basic the question, ask . Usually you will get a proper answer without any snickering. There are no "stupid" questions, only stupid answers .

I'm here since just after CMBO initial release, and I've played those games a lot. I'd say about everyday from 2001 to 2006. I've been lurking these forums for the same period, so although I certainly no luminary, I know who the "luminaries" are, hehe.

All this to say: the one thing I'm most thrilled about is the kind of stuff the community will come up with using the new editor.

The scenario editor is very, very powerful. As I have enjoyed many excellent battles from many scenario designers with CMx1, I can't wait for these people get a good hold of the new editor and create great battles.

With this new tool, scenario designers have the ability not only to create great maps, boil interesting OBs and setups. They can now play with the very core of the game, they can create and fine tune plans for the computer player to a point no one ever dreamed of in the past.

Thing is, as it was stated elsewhere, and it's worth saying yet again: mastering the editor will take a bit more time and will require a whole new testing ethic... an untested battle won't just play poorly... it might not work at all.

JV

Originally posted by Martyr:

I remember when the original Combat Mission concept was planned as a computer version of Squad Leader, which at the time was just what I was looking for.

Thanks for that historical insight into BF and CM / CM:SF. I never knew that there was a direct and conscious link between CM & SL / ASL - but no real surprise I suppose.

As someone who spent a fair bit of my early youth engrossed in SL / ASL (and trying to understand the rules as well) it is now clear why BF / CM "games" are the only ones I'll spend my valuable time on.

A great lineage for CM / CM:SF.

No wonder I couldn't seem to get Lt. Stahler (or a variant) as a screen name!

Although I'd imagine that Col Rosenberger is available?

Its going to be interesting to me when we start getting feedback from actual (as opposed to virtual) Stryker Brigade guys about the game. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of comments like 'My Stryker would NEVER have driven down a muddy slope at that angle!" But the more interesting comments will cover the game's ability to to reproduce believable tactical situations. Will the 'boots on the ground' recognize themselves in the game?

I recently discovered Battlefront and the CM series when I saw a preview of TOW and came here. TOW is fun but somewhat disappointing when it comes to performance but I still have not given up hope for it.

I picked up the CM Anthology and have messed around with it a bit. Love the game mechanics but just can't get heavily into it due to the dated graphics and clunky interface. CM:SF probably has a lot to do with it. I lurk these forums numerous times a day looking for more tidbits of info. 2 more days..... Just 2 more days..

I am new to the CM games,having only CMAK I am looking forward to CM-SF. The game looks great,covering an area only touched on by other developers. Once I become familiar with the interfaceand get a few solo games under my belt I will try my hand versus a human opponent.

From what I see of the game you guys did a great job.

Originally posted by H.W. Guderian:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Martyr:

I remember when the original Combat Mission concept was planned as a computer version of Squad Leader, which at the time was just what I was looking for.

Thanks for that historical insight into BF and CM / CM:SF. I never knew that there was a direct and conscious link between CM & SL / ASL - but no real surprise I suppose.

</font>

The thing about WWII titles (which most people seem to prefer) is we rarely if ever got a grizzled veteran coming on the forum and comparing CMBO's version of Malamdey with his own memories. I sometimes get the feeling that Vietnam titles have been largely discouraged in order to avoid grizzled veterans from popping in and reliving their experience! CMSF may be a near-future (eleven months from now?) Syria campaign sim but we all know obvious comparisons will be made with Iraq. We could read first-hand posts related to this game that we never got for CMx1.

Well I'm quite new to the CM series. I only played the CM:BO demo and didn't enjoy it (there were some abstractions I was unaware of, the AI just kicked my ass everytime).

I'm interested in CM:SF because I'm tired of the clickest RTS that dominate the market, and I was looking for something more serious. The modern, middle-east setting really caught my attention.

I'm a bit nervous wheter or not I will enjoy the game though.

Israeli? Hmm, is he another person or are you talking about the Canadian? Because I remember well the Canadian military guy who had experience with Sherman 76mm or was it Firefly... that must have been in 1990's or sumfink, as Canada upgraded from Ram's.

I played CM:BB and CM:AK a few years back after stumble upon CM:BB CDV version in a store.

I played this games for years and still play, my hours playing CM are mostly in the custom battle generator, playing what if engagements.

Has i didnĀ“t had net at the time i never found battlefront.com, until recently after getting broadband and doing search for a promising wwII game that keep changing name after i saw a preview in a magazine a couple of years ago.

The game hapened to be Theatre of War,so i found this litle heaven of wargaming that is battlefront.

My first surprise was, CM developers, the second was,a new CM game.

So i look forward to CM:SF and specialy its battle generator and all the possibilitys it brings.

When i played first CM i had a really weak computer, and waiting minutes for turns was bad.

After having a new computer i enjoyed the game but the grafics were really outdated.

Now i am ready, bring it on, i can see massed humvee charges on fortified positions coming this way. :D