Poor AI, UI and pathfinding even with 1.02 patch ????

With all that said I fear for how the game will run this saturday on my Core2Duo, Vista 64bit, 8800 GTX config :(
Eh, that worries me. I had assumed, maybe naively, that the relatively moderate min. specs might enable me to play this on my mid-range but non-cutting edge machine without feeling like I'm playing half a game. But maybe not.

P4 2.8 GHz

2 GB RAM

Ati x800xl

Win XP Pro + SP2

Audigy 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Salkin:

First of all making a simulation for hardcore grogs *shudder*....secondly getting slapped across the face with reviews from an unfinished product ...*ouch*...

When someone sends you a disk that has "review copy" stamped on it, you kind of expect it to be reviewable; i.e, finished product. I don't knowingly review unfinished product. Someone from the publisher or developer tells me it's good to go, so it goes.

If it isn't and things like AI or pathfinding are iffy, we can't exactly pretend it's not no matter how much we love Combat Mission.

The actual final review, though, will be 1.01, which I am in the process of acquiring. Just cleared that up with my editor.

And no, there is no 1.02 yet and I never said there was. My only reference to it is in reply to James Allen's reference to it. And that's in the comments, not the main body of my text.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Who is Troy Goodfellow, anyway?

Raconteur. Gadabout. Chef to the stars.

(Actually, the blog has a link on the sidebar if you're really curious. But I'm not that interesting.)

Originally posted by Bahger:

Eh, that worries me. I had assumed, maybe naively, that the relatively moderate min. specs might enable me to play this on my mid-range but non-cutting edge machine without feeling like I'm playing half a game. But maybe not.

Don't panic, you'll be fine. Compared to your system my rig sucks lousy donkey balls, and it runs the game ok.

Bahger, I have a measly 6600 GeForce and a very very early Intel Dual Core and I'm running the game just fine. It's the other way around actually - some of the newest stuff out there seems to be rather buggy, especially under Vista, and especially under Vista 64. There also seems to be a super-special-suprise Microsoft bug with power management on Dual Core processors in Windows XP which has driven us crazy for some time, and for some reason the only patch that Microsoft released for it is non-automatic.

Martin

Originally posted by Troy Goodfellow:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Salkin:

First of all making a simulation for hardcore grogs *shudder*....secondly getting slapped across the face with reviews from an unfinished product ...*ouch*...

When someone sends you a disk that has "review copy" stamped on it, you kind of expect it to be reviewable; i.e, finished product. I don't knowingly review unfinished product. Someone from the publisher or developer tells me it's good to go, so it goes.

If it isn't and things like AI or pathfinding are iffy, we can't exactly pretend it's not no matter how much we love Combat Mission.

The actual final review, though, will be 1.01, which I am in the process of acquiring. Just cleared that up with my editor.

And no, there is no 1.02 yet and I never said there was. My only reference to it is in reply to James Allen's reference to it. And that's in the comments, not the main body of my text.

(Actually, the blog has a link on the sidebar if you're really curious. But I'm not that interesting.) </font>

5 weeks are a huge difference. 1 day can be a huge difference if you manage to identify and fix a serious bug.

5 weeks ago we had a solid engine which needed polish, testing and finetuning. (Heck, I think 5 weeks ago we were still using some holdover sounds from CMAK...)

5 weeks later we have a solid engine which is much more polished, tested and finetuned than what Troy, Tom and Bruce apparently received (not from us by the way because Battlefront didn't send out any review copies to date).

Is it perfect? Nope. There will be more patches in the future for CMSF no doubt. CMBO took about a dozen IIRC before it was done? And CMSF's modern environment is a magnitude more complex. Not to speak of the hardware environment we're in now vs. what it was 5 years ago.

Martin

Thanks for the reassurance re. system specs, guys.

Hey Troy, what's Bruce's beef? Bruce who? He says in your blog comments that he's reviewing CMSF for CGW and he appears to be sharpening his knife.

I'm optimistic. It may have problems but CMSF is that rare thing, a high-end game that's not corporate product or a movie franchise. I played the living daylights out of the first in the series, SP, PBEMs, and what it did, it did very well. I'm craving authentic tactical gameplay in PC battlefield sims right now and the fact that this game's setting is contemporary makes me very positively inclined towards it.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Salkin:

(Actually, the blog has a link on the sidebar if you're really curious. But I'm not that interesting.) </font>

BTW, Troy's nVidia glitch is already fixed. I am not sure if it squeaked into the v1.01 Moon sent him or not, but it's in now. Why didn't our testers catch it? Because it was a specific hardware configuration that apparently mere mortals (like us and our testers) don't have :D It isn't all nVidia cards, nor is it Vista, nor is it Core Duo.

There is also a bad WIndows XP bug that Microsoft has a patch for. Has to do with power management software. We're going to make sure everybody has a link to it. It is a patch that MS tries to keep secret because running it on a laptop means shorter battery life. Typical MS... instead of fixing the piece of software that is broken (in this case power management with multi-processors) they disable it. At least that's what the tech geeks say the fix does!

I can tell you, without the fix from MS the game basically is unplayable. Pretty much anything that uses 3D is unusuable, including CAD software (a CAD friend was the one that told me about this fix!).

Steve

Welcome to the forum, Troy. I congratulate you on your courage for using your real name - sincerely. I hope you'll stick around and take part in the conversations now that you're here - as you can tell, there are a lot of interested people at the moment with regards to CM:SF and you are in a very unique position.

Thanks for the welcome. Seeing my traffic spike through the roof (almost 400 hits a day!!!) made me curious as to what exactly was going on over here.

I've lurked on and off for years. The Combat Mission series is up there with Harpoon and Norm Koger's stuff as the some of the best wargames ever made.

Not sure how unique my position is. Just one game writer out of many, and I stand by all my comments thus far. The only "unique" thing, I think, is that my deadline isn't "right now", so I get a chance to look at 1.01 and see if it changes my opinion.

Mind you, if I knew the code was old when it was sent to me, I'd have kept my mouth shut. smile.gif

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Welcome to the forum, Troy. I congratulate you on your courage for using your real name - sincerely. I hope you'll stick around and take part in the conversations now that you're here - as you can tell, there are a lot of interested people at the moment with regards to CM:SF and you are in a very unique position.

Thanks for the welcome. Seeing my traffic spike through the roof (almost 400 hits a day!!!) made me curious as to what exactly was going on over here.

I've lurked on and off for years. The Combat Mission series is up there with Harpoon and Norm Koger's stuff as the some of the best wargames ever made.

Not sure how unique my position is. Just one game writer out of many, and I stand by all my comments thus far. The only "unique" thing, I think, is that my deadline isn't "right now", so I get a chance to look at 1.01 and see if it changes my opinion.

Mind you, if I knew the code was old when it was sent to me, I'd have kept my mouth shut. smile.gif </font>

I think we gamers might have to change our expectations of launch products. I can think of a lot of fantastic games that were buggy or broken at launch but patched later on. Especially for a small developer, testing and finalizing is going to cost a lot. As much as they deserve it, I doubt BFC is sitting on a pile of money like Blizzard and can afford to wait a year tweaking and polishing. The sad thing is that reviewers only review a game once. It might be interesting if some reviewers published follow-up reviews to see if certain things have changed for the better.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

There is also a bad WIndows XP bug that Microsoft has a patch for. Has to do with power management software. We're going to make sure everybody has a link to it. It is a patch that MS tries to keep secret because running it on a laptop means shorter battery life. Typical MS... instead of fixing the piece of software that is broken (in this case power management with multi-processors) they disable it. At least that's what the tech geeks say the fix does!

I can tell you, without the fix from MS the game basically is unplayable. Pretty much anything that uses 3D is unusuable, including CAD software (a CAD friend was the one that told me about this fix!).

Steve

Wait, I have a dual core processor!

Any chance you could post a link so we can get all prepared?

I've downloaded and installed all the newest drivers and hardware updates in anticipation, but I'm pretty sure I missed that one.

The problem isn't testing and finalizing in itself, the problem is testing and finalizing in a highly fragmented market with so many different hardware options out there that it's simply impossible to catch everything. Impossible. It's not a function of throwing more time and money into it, it's downright impossible.

What big labels do to get around it is they pay for compatibility. Many of the new driver versions you see out there are made specifically for various large releases. And even they have massive problems.

Video card and chipset wars like we're seeing right now between ATI and Nvidia, Intel and AMD are definitely not helping, either.

Martin

I think Steve was referring to this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

It seems as if Windows XP is powering down one CPU incorrectly with power management switched on. MS is keeping this fix very quiet for various reasons I guess. You should also probably NOT apply this on mere suspicion because it shuts down all power management. Thing is, if you have a problem with this, then you should already be seeing various issues with most 3D-intensive software including non-games. Also, this only applies to Windows XP. And, it seems to be shut down by default on most desktop systems anyway, but enabled by default on many laptops.

Martin

The bad review and resulting comments on Tom's site, such as "thanks for saving me $55", are depressing indeed. A lot of people will not give CM:SF a fair chance now that they have read that review - and they are probably exactly the sort of people BFC would like to branch out towards such as the RTS crowd.

It just goes to show how much damage a poor review copy of a game can cause, which seems to be down to Paradox putting out buggy versions of the game for review without BFC's say so. What on earth are things coming to!

I only hope that once the game is released we are relieved to find that most of the complaints have already been fixed and that word will spread that the review was overly harsh.