What Other WW2 Games Do We All Play?

Just for interest, I'm wondering what other WW2 games we all enjoy on here.

I love history and particularly find WW2 fascinating.

Even though I'm not a great first-person shooter fan, I found The Medal of Honor series and Call Of Duty beautifully done with a wonderfully well-captured atmosphere and attention to detail.

Hearts of Iron 2 and Doomsday are favourites, but take rather a long time to play (and the Japanese carriers STILL don't have the range to attack pearl harbour!)

Call of Duty. Used to play, but not anymore.

Operational Art of War III: Fantastic game, if this game's graphics and playability were even partially melded with that game's flexibility and detail it'd be un-worldly.

Combat Mission: All three. My all-time favorite game ever, and where I started my scenario designing and modding.

As far as board games go, Squad Leader, Advanced Squad Leader, and Ambush. Squad Leader is what got me into war games.

[ January 13, 2007, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Normal Dude ]

Memoir '44 currently but in the past loved desert rats and vulcan. Eastern front on my atari 400 was awesome too... still play it on an atari emulator occasionally. Haven't played may war board games but I love axis and allies, armchair generals and diplomacy. A friend of mine is trying to organise a wargame weekend coming up soon but we shall see what happens.

Eastern Front on the Atari computer. There's a game I haven't played in a long time. Still have both game and computer (wonder if it still works.) :confused: Use to play it all the time.

Of course Clash of Steel. Don't play it any more. Liked it back in the day.

Loved the detailed units in War in Russia. Tried playing again, but the graphics are just too old.

Global Conquest. (Another oldie.)

Carrier strike (once in awhile.)

Axis & Allies (Computer board game.) AI was terrible. Liked playing against humans though. Still like playing the board game better. Have all the A & A games. Europe, Pacific, and D-day. (haven't played the D-day yet.)

Medal of Honor on Playstation 2. Great graphics, but can be frustrating on some levels.

Risk on computer and Playstation 2. Still enjoy playing once in a while on PS2.

World at War. Thought that would be similar to axis & allies. Didn't like the game. Too complicated for my patience. :mad: Which reminds me, I have to put that on Ebay. smile.gif

Can't forget Strategic command. I use to say the next best thing to Clash of Steel.

And then there's SC2! (Obviously) But I still had to mention it.

Steel Panthers WaW is one of my lasting favorites, really gets into battlefield tactics.

I liked this game called D-day the beginning of the end when I was younger but it is really so-so

Close Combat seris

Aces of the Pacific was awesome I wish I could still play, so was Task Force 1942

PTO was awesome as well

I could go on and on really I love WWII games lol

Eu2, formerly, hoping to move onward to EU3...

Europa Universalis series in other words.

I tried High Command, Clash of Steele in the day and before that Eastern Front and a few other SSI titles, most of which didn't hold my attention as much as Eastern Front. Even though that got boring AI wise which was no challenge. First WW2 Strategic game I tried was Storm Across Europe. Was simple and interesting, then I graduated to A&A boardgame, we played this particular version on-line but the players generally flaked out and we had to dump it. I then graduated again to Command HQs and this was an excellent title playable via Modem... Huge success and several air combat sims, Air Warrior I II and III... I cannot even list the others anyway that are related to the Genre Empire Building games.

I look foward to EU3

SC2 is here and happy with it

I would love if I had a RTS Shooter like WW2online to play, very interesting to play SC2 then step into the driver seat of a Panzer 4 or a Sherman and get the feel of real action. What is Theatre of War really?

Played tons of them, really - in 2006 only SC2 and Company of Heroes -> ain't much into RTS but CoH is really well designed;

From the past days I will probably ever remember the PG series and Close Combat series (CC were masterpieces imho, at least for that period's standards). And ofc, SC1 - quite an addiction smile.gif

An old favorite of mine was War in Europe (the board game).

This is a massive game. The map was so big I could not fit it on our ping pong table. It included all of Europe and North Africa in a 50 mile per hex scale. Counters represented divisions.

Unfortunately, it was so big, the rule book so extensive, and, so time consuming to set up and play, that I was only able to play solo.

It did have some great features:

Great representation of transfer of industries from Western Russia to the Urals.

Very good combat formulas... could have been improved by having separate hard/soft target resolution.

Very good representation of industrial and resource centers.

Very representation of "Overruns". Massive Combat Odds plus sufficient Movement Points allowed overruns where the advancing units just ran over the defending units. Because closed terrain (e.g. mountains and forest) provided better defense and imposed high movement costs, it was all but impossible to overrun a unit in closed terrain.

Good representation of armored movement: armored units could move before and after attack. Infantry units could move only before attack. Artillery units could move only after attack.

Good representation of air interdiction of supplies.

The game was published by SPI which closed shop some time ago. Decision Games is working on a "re-publish"... and a computer version. The computer version will be available for Windows later this year. See www.decisiongames.com.

I would really like Hubert and Perman to look a this game.

I think for a PBEM Game that would do wonders, SC2 is almost pushing the edge of Detail. Streamlining decisionmaking for IP games is difficult... PBEM is still a very very strong market for even SC games because they take 10 to 15 hours to finish. Anyways I'd love such an extensive WW2 game, however I doubt it'll be made right without a GRAND publisher in control. HOI was never really what it was advertised as but can you blame Paradox, that is bigger than any 1 publisher.

Originally posted by ev:

An old favorite of mine was War in Europe (the board game).

This is a massive game. The map was so big I could not fit it on our ping pong table. It included all of Europe and North Africa in a 50 mile per hex scale. Counters represented divisions.

Unfortunately, it was so big, the rule book so extensive, and, so time consuming to set up and play, that I was only able to play solo.

It did have some great features:

Great representation of transfer of industries from Western Russia to the Urals.

Very good combat formulas... could have been improved by having separate hard/soft target resolution.

Very good representation of industrial and resource centers.

Very representation of "Overruns". Massive Combat Odds plus sufficient Movement Points allowed overruns where the advancing units just ran over the defending units. Because closed terrain (e.g. mountains and forest) provided better defense and imposed high movement costs, it was all but impossible to overrun a unit in closed terrain.

Good representation of armored movement: armored units could move before and after attack. Infantry units could move only before attack. Artillery units could move only after attack.

Good representation of air interdiction of supplies.

The game was published by SPI which closed shop some time ago. Decision Games is working on a "re-publish"... and a computer version. The computer version will be available for Windows later this year. See www.decisiongames.com.

I would really like Hubert and Perman to look a this game.

Ahem. smile.gif

Anyone remember Gulf Strike (Victory Games if I remember right)?

I loved that title. Phased operational combat.

Oh... yeah... WWII. Well crap, I've played about everything mentioned here. I even tried that Grigsby title... World at War was it? Not bad... but it fell short of my expectations.

As a kid played lots of Avalon Hill board games like Afrika Korps, Panzer Blitz, etc. Current board games are all the A&A series. I have also played the A&A Minitures which is a good game but I gave up buying the expansion packs because certain rare pieces were just to hard to find. Kind of silly to spend $200 on expansion packs trying to get one particlular unit.

First WWII computer game was a Mac game called Patton vs Rommel. It was quite similar to TacOps (the one from Battlefront, not the first person shooter game). There was also a submarine game for the Mac called GATO(?) set in the Pacific pitting a US sub commander against Jap Merchant Marine and Naval ships. It was pretty neat as the computer would log your tonnage and names of ships sunk and carry them from game to game. If you got sunk you lost your log and had to start from scratch.

Played V for Victory for a few years. Anybody know what ever happened to that game? It came in a couple of different flavors. I had D-Day, Velikki Lukki and a North Africa module. It was ok but the AI could be easily misdirected by massing troops in a particular area and the AI would abandon objectives to go after the massed troops. You could then disperse the troops and the AI went duh...what happened...where'd everybody go?

Did the Operational Art of War demo a few years ago and now the version 3 is out, it will probably be my next purchase.

Curretly playing SC2 and Uncommon Valor. UV is pretty good but it demands a lot of time because there are so many orders that need to be issued and one oversight or missed order fouls up the entire battleplan.

Also playing TacOps and Decisive Action (non WWII). TacOps does currently offer a set of WWII units but there is no AI available for user created scenarios so you must play another human to play a WWII battle. TacOps has been on my hard drive for over 10 years and still gets played.

Randy

Originally posted by Liam:

I think for a PBEM Game that would do wonders, SC2 is almost pushing the edge of Detail. Streamlining decisionmaking for IP games is difficult... PBEM is still a very very strong market for even SC games because they take 10 to 15 hours to finish. Anyways I'd love such an extensive WW2 game, however I doubt it'll be made right without a GRAND publisher in control. HOI was never really what it was advertised as but can you blame Paradox, that is bigger than any 1 publisher.

Aside from its huge size, War in Europe had some great features which could easily be incorporated into SC2; for example:

Armor could move before and after an attack, while infantry moves only before an attack. In SC2 terms... armor could be allowed to spend any remaining action points after an attack, but not infantry.

Didn't like 3R, not one bit. 4-turns per year, took forever for my opponents to think over their turn when playing Face-To-Face. Figuring combat charts took away from the fun. Also, remember the only way to get Lennigrad was a 1-1 dice roll with all air. Bad roll, you just lost the game.

Glad to see there are so many Close Combat players. Those games are favorites and I'm looking forward to the newest Matrix version, CC - Cross of Iron.

Once I get some free time I need to give the Airborne Assault system a try. I hear it's excellent, Conquest of the Aegean looks interesting.