Strategic Command Developer Diary (Blog) Now Active!!!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ev:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

It's now possible to have a cap on experience(set in this campaign to a max of 1) and chose how expensive upgrades should be.

Great.

Can we set different experience caps for different units. Say "1" for infantry, but, "3" for air fighters? </font>

Originally posted by J P Wagner:

Kuniworth, excellent map..One question, were you able to use your original Battle for Russia map as a template to add all of the new additions, or did you have to remake the map from scratch?

Yes I could import the old map with resources, rivers and terrain. But due to the expanded resource and terrain file(lots more buildings and nature :cool: ) things will not always appear correctly. For example mountain in sc2 show up as marsh bitmap, but you can easily just shift this back. Some features can't be imported but I don't see this as a big problem. My scenario was imported and fixed pretty quick.

So no way you can escape making that russian civil war scenario! ;)

[ August 17, 2007, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

Kuniworth, excellent map..One question, were you able to use your original Battle for Russia map as a template to add all of the new additions, or did you have to remake the map from scratch?
Some guidelines for converting SC2 campaigns to SC2-WaW will be provided. The good news is you do not have to start from scratch. The not-so-good news is that effort is still required to update things to all the new features. But implementing those new features is worth the effort! :cool:

Thanks for the reply, and I have not let the RCW game turn into vaporware...it is just that there is so much in the expansion pack that fits the scenario so well, such as rail movement that I drool over what the RCW campaign can potentially be....since I have done most of the grunt work already, hopefully I can make the transition as painless as possible.......

You spring another question however, is there an ability to keep units from leaving rail hexes? I'm thinking of course of the use of Armoured Trains during the RCW. It's not a scenario killer if not, as I think they work ok in my mod now, but it would be even better if they were restricted to rail lines....thanks

is there an ability to keep units from leaving rail hexes?
Maybe if you give them zero AP? I think op moves along the railroad would still work and that would be the only movement allowed. Just make sure they appear on a city/railroad or else they're stuck!

A few questions related to AAR, sorry if they has been answered before, haven’t read all posts here;

1. Does new anti-tank unit means that infantry unit does not have anti-tank upgrade anymore?

2. Same question about new anti-air unit and city/port anti-air upgrade.

3. Same question about new destroyer unit and battleship/cruiser ASW upgrade

4. What are the major advantages of Special Forces unit?

5. Are you considering to add swap move in the game? With new units map looks very crowded (West Europe especially).

Hi vveedd,

Just a few quick responses:

1. No

2. No cities and ports can still upgrade AA, it is just now we also have a mobile AA unit that is handy with front line troops or whatever else players will find useful

3. Each unit can upgrade their ASW but of course Destroyers are more ideal due to their higher sub attack/defense values

4. Difficult to say as they are more of a flavour unit as described in the AAR thread... the framework for the unit is set but the specific use for them is up to the players imagination

5. Not at the moment

1 = no

2 = no

3 = no

4 = big hitting power vs. soft and tank units, can amphibious transport from any coastal tile.

5- = it is not in and I do not know if he is considering it or not. In my testing I have not had any overcrowding issues and I have not read any tester making this remark

In all my games with the expansion, I have never, ever had a crowding problem due to the new units. I keep hearing this being batted around and it's just not true. Anyways, the crowding would be a function of how many MPPs the countries are producing, not what units they can make.

(although a swap move would be nice anyways ;) )

Thx for answers. One more related to anti-air:

Does anti-air city/port upgrade will cover unit in city against tactical bomber and fighter attacks? Actually, here is one more; does fighter will have ability to attack land units now when we have tactical bombers?

[ August 23, 2007, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: vveedd ]

Originally posted by Blashy:

1 = no

2 = no

3 = no

4 = big hitting power vs. soft and tank units, can amphibious transport from any coastal tile.

5- = it is not in and I do not know if he is considering it or not. In my testing I have not had any overcrowding issues and I have not read any tester making this remark

You say the SF unit has strong attack power vs both hard and soft target. Now I do not know about the training of rangers but specialized troops really do not do hard targets well. They do not have the equipment so maybe you should look at the hard target numbers.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

In all my games with the expansion, I have never, ever had a crowding problem due to the new units. I keep hearing this being batted around and it's just not true. Anyways, the crowding would be a function of how many MPPs the countries are producing, not what units they can make.

(although a swap move would be nice anyways ;) )

Reason you hear this is the pictures we get the map doesnt really look bigger and with all the stuff all over the map it looks crowded. Appears with all the roads railroads etc to be very busy. We wont know until we really get to look at the map and then place a few units on them.

targul, nothing is set in stone just yet but for now while they do have a strong punch they are still very weak on defense.

As mentioned before, in game they have very limited build numbers and because of this they can even be used to simulate some of the shock troops used during the war, i.e. early German shock troops used along the Maginot line or later war Soviet Shock units on the Eastern Front. They can be initially effective and/or highly demoralizing but generally do not have the staying power for any meaningful offensive unless properly supported by regular forces.

Originally posted by AZGungHo:

Wow - amazing looking map, units, etc.

I WANT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't say as I blame you! smile.gif

One thing of note:

Man, I'm telling you guys,

That AI!

What an amazing!

And,

Masterful! bit of presto!

Digitation Hubert has done!

With a little assistance from

Edwin P and pzgndr,

Most especially!

For all you SC Cats what play a lot!

Of SOLO games,

Daytimes @ the Office

(... tho, heads up! The mind-prowlers

are everywhere! Of late! :eek: )

Or right deep into the wee of night,

You are gonna be - pleased as Punch

Was, once, or twice. :cool:

The AI is immensely better than SC2.

I really enjoy my game vs. the AI.

I play at the hardest settings (sometimes lower for testing purposes) and when not testing I do not watch the AIs turns, makes it a little more difficult.

I can not see anyone who is not looking for a fine SP WW2 strategy game not buying this one.