Yeah ok,, the CMBB graphics rock but umm, what's it got under the hood? Bones Thrown!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Joshik:

Oh- I feel I would be doing a disservice if I didn't do a bit of PantherGrog nitpicking:

If I'm not mistaken, the Panther A (and Panther D) didn't have any raised ventilator fans on the rear deck... weren't they flush with the deck surface?

I believe only the later versions of the Panther G had a raised cooling fan housing on the left side of the rear deck, never on the right.

BTS please fix or do somfink!

-Joshik

Did a little bit of research; primarily on-line since I am in the office. While the Panther VD fans were flush with the rear deck, the Panther VA and VG both had a raised cooling fan housing.

Excellent work to all!!! If this is the sort of detail that we are going to see with 300+ models and the software engine, I won't need another PC game ever again. Also, I know that the Turan view was not ready, but take a look at the building behind the tank. That build looks incredible- straight out of a photo.

Counting the days....

Hi guys,

Glad you like the new stuff! Some quick answers:

1. Turan wasn't shown because it was to be the next bone. Guess that means we don't have to throw another one soon smile.gif

2. No, the wheat is fixed and does not get crushed as vehicles drive over them. That would be pretty tough to do graphically, which I am sure will be evident why when you see the game for real.

3. Yes, the texturing of all these vehicles has been, and still is, a huge time sink. Dan and myself, along with a couple of hand picked Modders, have been slaving away on them for months now. With the list as long as it is... well... we're trying to get them all done before you guys faint dead away from the long wait smile.gif

4. The Panther D (early) is the only vehicle with an asymetrical turret side. In general asymetrical turret sides are a huge waste of valuable CD space (which is a SERIOUS concern for CMBB) and VRAM. But the Panther D (early) left us little choice due to the side hatch which was removed when the turret was reconfigured. However, there are asymetrical hull and turret details in nearly all models. The difference is that these details are not part of a general surface, but rather something that sits on top of it (like a tool box or something).

5. Yes, Modders are going to have their work cut out for themselves smile.gif Not only are the textures highres this time, but there are soooooo many vehicles to choose from. We have also taken the extra effort to make the vast and overwhelming majority of the textures "self contained". In CMBO we shared a lot of textures inbetween models when possible so as to save on VRAM. That means you could have 3 StuGs all sharing 90% of the same textures. In CMBB we have something like 9 StuGs each with its own unique texture assignments. We might duplicate some of the artwork to save on time, but the "slots" themselves are totally seperate and can be modded independent of other vehicles.

OK, now I go back to work!

Steve

Actually the round fan assembly and vents were always above the level of the rear deck somewhat.

On the G model the left hand side is much more pronounced (higher up) than the right side.

Madmatt

[ July 16, 2002, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Joshik:

I view these Panther photos with a touch of melancholy. As a Panther fanactic, I echo the sentiments of everyone else in saying "WOOT!" They do look spectacular!

However, as a budding and frustrated modder, I'm wondering if these advanced graphics are going to end up killing the "home-grown" MOD industry. It took me about six months to do my one Panther GL mod. With all these additional graphics (asymetrical sides, MG turret rings, wood blocks, MG ports, etc), I wonder if I'll ever be able to finish anything. Hell, these graphics might even slow down Gordon!

I'll have to examine the structure of the graphics once the game is released, but right now I'm just feeling intimidated. I may just have to stick to CMBO mods for the time being. :(

Oh- I feel I would be doing a disservice if I didn't do a bit of PantherGrog nitpicking:

If I'm not mistaken, the Panther A (and Panther D) didn't have any raised ventilator fans on the rear deck... weren't they flush with the deck surface?

I believe only the later versions of the Panther G had a raised cooling fan housing on the left side of the rear deck, never on the right.

BTS please fix or do somfink!

-Joshik

I doubt 3rd party mod makers will be run out of business or anything like that. No matter how great the original stock models/textures, there is always demand for something different or more "realistic" (however you want to define that). KwazyDog has only made the bar somewhat higher that's all. At worst, you could always somewhat modify the original stock texture and make more appealing camo, etc. If I had a drop of artistic skill, I would admit to being a bit daunted at the new level CMBB has established.

Not that I want to critical or anything -- (I mean you guys can laugh at me and my Power mac and 2 meg graphics all you want.)

But will it ever be possible to get those things to actually sit on the ground.

To me there's always something of Disney's "hippo with tutu" what with that perky little ass of their's (the tank I mean -- not the crew) sitting up and out just so.

Or is it just me? :D

but the "slots" themselves are totally seperate and can be modded independent of other vehicles.
I was going to ask about texture sharing in a new thread, but this answered it for me. This is really great news! CMBO texture sharing was a source of annoyance, though the reason behind it was understood. More vehicles, hi-res, and less texture sharing means a much bigger bmp folder. You sure you will get it all on one CD? Heck, my current CMBO bmp folder is 1.6 Gig in size!

Did any one notice that the Left and Right side of the Panther are different - each side has its own bmp file !!!

I hope this is also true with the turret bmps.

Then we will longer be limited to using numbers 1,0 & 8.

Thanks BFC.. :D

You sure you will get it all on one CD? Heck, my current CMBO bmp folder is 1.6 Gig in size!
No hybrid CD and compressed. Yeah, we'll fit everything on there, but only just barely smile.gif

BTW, we feel that many Modders go a bit overboard with the texture resolution. Over a certain size there is no significant improvement in quality but a HUGE increase in file size and VRAM footprint. Ours are much higher res than CMBO, but not as big as some of the mods we have seen. Not that these Modders will ever admit that bigger isn't necessarily better ;)

Steve

Over a certain size there is no significant improvement in quality
Interesting, and just what one would suspect. There is a certain limit in what you see in the game itself. Going to be a joy going through the units and observing the textures. What I've seen so far is incredibly impressive. And there is so much more of it!

Originally posted by Doug Beman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CMplayer:

Just looking at those pictures makes me want to go sniff some glue.

Nice.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit taking amphetamines.

DjB</font>

cmbo is the first and only game that when my tanks are blown up i say, "wow that was cool!", but when cmbb comes out, dying(or making your opponent do so(that's preferable by the way)) will truly be a heavenly experience! thanks guys for the bones, looking forward to what will no doubt be the next greatest game ever made.

Glad you like it guys smile.gif

Agua, Ive camoed rest of the Panther series, but I left that one blank as the earlier D model was often not painted, and I thought it would give you guys a nice blank panther to camo yourself smile.gif The extra 3D details we added to models like exhaust and vision ports are really making them feel a lot larger and more solid.

Joshik, dont worry, there will be plenty for you guys to play with once CMBB is released. Im having to put out about 5-10 vehicles a day at the moment, so guys that take months per vehicles should be able to get spectacular results smile.gif

Dan