Yeah ok,, the CMBB graphics rock but umm, what's it got under the hood? Bones Thrown!

Click any of the thumbnail images below to see the full sized version.

Much has been made of the higher resolution graphics that are featured in CMBB but pretty textures can only do so much. What really helps to bring objects to lifelike realism is the underlying models. So thats what todays little bone throw is going to look at.

Then_thumb.jpg

Ahh, the venerable Panther Ausf. A from CMBO. Starting to show its age. As you can see, its basically one box (turret shape) on top of another box (hull shape) with some minimal detail for the exhaust system.

Inputing the data for models in CM (both BO and BB) is still very time consuming but as Battlefront.com has grown there are now more people available to handle specific tasks. Having a full time 3D modeler and artist extrodinare on the team (Kwazydog) has allowed the models in CMBB to achieve a new level of detail far beyond what we see in CMBO.

panther_1_thumb.jpg

The Panther A (early) Model as it now exists in CMBB. Not only are the textures much more crisp and detailed but look at the detail on the front hull. The hull MG protrusion, the little periscopes, the main gun mantlet, all have exponetially greater shape and detail now.

Panther_2_thumb.jpg

Here we have a nice shot of all the detail on the hull front and sides as well as a tantalizing glimpse of the raised exhaust fan housings on the rear deck. Notice as some of the equipment on the side has form and is not just a flat texture like before. Check out the detail on the Commanders Cupola and hatch with the AA ring mount.

panther_3_thumb.jpg

Here again you can see as the tool box on the side is a an actual 3D shape. You can also see some of the enhanced detail added to the exhaust system to the rear.

panther_4.jpg

And of course, what bone throw would be complete without the Money Shot.

Next time, we will have a look at some of the new minor nation vehicles and models.

Madmatt

[ July 16, 2002, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool stuff. If every vehicle in CMBB looks as good as that Panther, I imagine that we're all going to be discovering exciting new visual treats for many months after the inital release. I forsee a lot of "Hey, have you seen the whatsit on the thingie?!" posts in the first few weeks after release.

MODDers will probably take the new 3D renders as a personal challenge. At least, I hope they do. :D

You guys rock.

Cheers

I say ! I SAY !

Mouthwatering stuff this is...Incredibly detailed too ! I enjoyed this bone immensely !

Considering the next bone, make it one with a Finnish StuG (or any other vehicle that we may have had !), please ! ;) Just don't present us with something Italian. Personally, I don't see much point in including Italian forces. Well, maybe you can have some funny little battles where a platoons' worth of partisans kicks the asses of an Italian infantry battalion... ;);)

Hehe, I saw their bones before they posted thread from it. They also had 1 picture of Turan tanks but they removed it :D (I don't understand why, I'ts well taken screen...)

Anyways, It's still in my temporary internet files, my friend hosted it, I hope admins wont get mad tongue.gif

EDITED BY ADMIN...

Actually I DO mind. The Turan is not ready to be shown just yet...Soon though...

[ July 16, 2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I believe that you're just seeing an empty patch on the ground, similar to the others in the background, though it would definitely be cool if the tanks knocked over the wheat as they went through!

As for the new model, it just doesn't seem right. The old one seemed more realistic. BTS, please do somefink! ;)

BeWary

Originally posted by BeWary:

I believe that you're just seeing an empty patch on the ground, similar to the others in the background, though it would definitely be cool if the tanks knocked over the wheat as they went through!

As for the new model, it just doesn't seem right. The old one seemed more realistic. BTS, please do somefink! ;)

BeWary

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

(insert pisture of said UFO here)

:D

Originally posted by Patriootti:

Hehe, I saw their bones before they posted thread from it. They also had 1 picture of Turan tanks but they removed it :D (I don't understand why, I'ts well taken screen...)

Anyways, It's still in my temporary internet files, my friend hosted it, I hope admins wont get mad tongue.gif

Someone might get mad at you, BUT that is one BEAUTIFUL image, the rust on the mufflers is COOL and that building is VERY detailed. A VERY nice Screen shot indeed!

-tom w

P.S, And Thanks DAN, that Panther in the grass is very WELL done!!

[ July 16, 2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Great work Kwazy. It really looks like you guys are going gangbusters on this one.

Thanks for the 110%...all you BFC guys.

What is the grey thing on the very left of the screenshot. (the undisclosed screenshot)

Rocks?

[ July 16, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Hoopenfaust 101 ]

Originally posted by Patriootti:

Besides the great model; notice the boulders in the background, by the trees? And also the TC is wearing spectacles! Wow!

[ July 16, 2002, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

Someone might get mad at you, BUT that is one BEAUTIFUL image, the rust on the mufflers is COOL and that building is VERY detailed. A VERY nice Screen shot indeed!

That undamaged roof looks a bit strange with together with damaged walls (which are beautiful)...

The Turan looks cool! Did you see that the TC is wearing glasses! And look at the bow MGs!.

BTS probably took down the screenshot because of a problem with the rear idler - at least on my screen, the rear part of the track (on the left) seems bent outwards. I would imagine that they will fix that and then repost.

Originally posted by Prinz Eugen:

I say ! I SAY !

Mouthwatering stuff this is...Incredibly detailed too ! I enjoyed this bone immensely !

Considering the next bone, make it one with a Finnish StuG (or any other vehicle that we may have had !), please ! ;) Just don't present us with something Italian. Personally, I don't see much point in including Italian forces. Well, maybe you can have some funny little battles where a platoons' worth of partisans kicks the asses of an Italian infantry battalion... ;);)

I say ! I SAY !......

Prinz Eugen I'm really tired....

Take a look to this site:

http://www.cronologia.it/mondo35z.htm

It's an italian language site so please use

http://www.systransoft.com/

It helps you.

You know i'm so tired... i can't translate the text for you.

There are so many interesting facts.

Yes i know There are so many interesting facts about the Finland War too.

"...kicks the asses of an Italian infantry battalion..." :rolleyes:redface.gif

It's only a question of respect.

I don't suppose CMBB has animated wheels yet, does it? Watching pretty vehicles slide over the ground like they're on skis sort of ruins all the hard work the artists gave to make them look good standing still!

CMBO -- RIP

Long live the new King -- CMBB

My god, the details on that model just leap out at you. It's no wonder KwazyDog got annointed to do the 3D modelling. I'm too shocked to cry at the amazing detail.

[ July 16, 2002, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Originally posted by Potential Italian Player:

Prinz Eugen I'm really tired....

Take a look to this site:

http://www.cronologia.it/mondo35z.htm

It's an italian language site so please use

http://www.systransoft.com/

It helps you.

You know i'm so tired... i can't translate the text for you.

There are so many interesting facts.

Yes i know There are so many interesting facts about the Finland War too.

"...kicks the asses of an Italian infantry battalion..." :rolleyes:redface.gif

It's only a question of respect.

I knew some Italian would get mad for this. Note that I did not write that with offense in mind, I didn't put those two consecutive smileys for nothing y'know ! ;)

Suppose someone made funny remarks about Finns I'd be a bit annoyed too ! :mad:

Sorry ! :(

I view these Panther photos with a touch of melancholy. As a Panther fanactic, I echo the sentiments of everyone else in saying "WOOT!" They do look spectacular!

However, as a budding and frustrated modder, I'm wondering if these advanced graphics are going to end up killing the "home-grown" MOD industry. It took me about six months to do my one Panther GL mod. With all these additional graphics (asymetrical sides, MG turret rings, wood blocks, MG ports, etc), I wonder if I'll ever be able to finish anything. Hell, these graphics might even slow down Gordon!

I'll have to examine the structure of the graphics once the game is released, but right now I'm just feeling intimidated. I may just have to stick to CMBO mods for the time being. :(

Oh- I feel I would be doing a disservice if I didn't do a bit of PantherGrog nitpicking:

If I'm not mistaken, the Panther A (and Panther D) didn't have any raised ventilator fans on the rear deck... weren't they flush with the deck surface?

I believe only the later versions of the Panther G had a raised cooling fan housing on the left side of the rear deck, never on the right.

BTS please fix or do somfink!

-Joshik