System specs for Macs could be lowered

Why should technology stop for the Luddites of the group ??

Originally posted by Makes The Jelly Judder:

Hi I would just like to say that this game is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet.

Also the demo works fine on my original iBook with 4mb of Vram, 160mb of normal ram and a G3 300mz processor. In fact it's performance seems identical to CMBO.

Originally posted by Makes The Jelly Judder:

Hi I would just like to say that this game is cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet.

Also the demo works fine on my original iBook with 4mb of Vram, 160mb of normal ram and a G3 300mz processor. In fact it's performance seems identical to CMBO.

It crashes out into the finder for me (PB G3/300 w/ 192 MB RAM, 4MB VRAM) when it goes to load the 3D graphics. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep it from doing that...

CMBB runs fine on my 2nd generation Clamshell iBook. 366mhz G3, 8MB VRAM.

The sky looks dithered, and I'm pretty sure other textures are downsampled and dithered, but it seems to run as fast as CMBO and looks much better. Great job Dan. Are any of the Russian guns from my Aberdeen pics?

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

What's your monitor size? What resolution do you have it set to? Try switching to 800x600 (that's the max on the original iBook IIRC. I've never run it on anything less than 8mb, so that's just theory

I have to use SwitchRes to force it to 800x600-- if I don't use SwitchRes then it tells me I need to be able to display at least 800x600, because it tries to switch to 640x480 to use hardware rendering. I'm expecting to have to use software rendering until I upgrade machines.

I did get it to launch into 1024x768, but then it looks like it only does 16 colors (or some other bizarre color map) and I can't tell what anything is.

Maybe it's time to get a new machine...

With a G3 266 w/2 MB VRAM and192MB I get no further than "This game requires minimun 800 x 600 video display" message. I downloaded SwitchRes and set it to 800 x 600 at everything from 56 to 85 Hz, still with no result. Could this be a video card (or lack thereof) issue?

I was a bit surprised to see the "minimum" of 16MB's, as I had previously heard it runs with 8.

And G3? It doesn't really need a G3, does it?

I ran CMBO just fine with a 8600 (with radeon), although it did get a lot better with G3 upgrade.

Looks like the "minimum" is more like "good" specs, with the real minimum specs somewhere further down in history.

I was also positivly surprised and think the minimum requirements as listed are misleading.

I have that Laptop with a 4 MB Mach64-base rage mobility which is ocassionally used for naswering PBEM moves.

Reading the CMBB specs I assumed I had to trash it and was going to cry for no-textures options or somefink, but the CMBB demo works just fine and good enough for PBEMing.

I really think the requirements listed should be more qualified, or accompanied by a sentense "it is possible to run with 4 MB video cards for activity that doesn't require a good frame rate or visual appeal, e.g. play by email or scenario editing.

I just ran the CMBB Demo on a

266Mhz G3

64 Mb Ram (94 w/ Virtual Memory)

16mb ATI Rage XClaim

and it ran smooth enough and looked good

so if you can find a larger Video Card than 2mb

you should be able run it

(I found the identical Video card on E-bay today for around $40)

Originally posted by busboy:

Seems a good place to ask...has anyone had success playing either CM games in OS X? I have to restart in OS 9.2.2 to play either.

I did post this earlier but in the rush of posts its now been pushed back to page 3

The good news is that they are happy with the Classic Rave 1.8.1 Extension (part of Jaguar Build 6C115).

You can't launch them as "classic" apps from within OS X.2 directly but if you restart (using the same System Folder that Classic uses) they are very happy indeed.

No more 2nd System Folder, Conflict Catcher or Extension Manager work arounds to worry about !!!!!

A 2nd, unexpected, Father's Day present!

It runs fine on both my 500MHz Ti PB and my wife's 450 MHz DV+ iMac (TCP/IP games without leaving the house).

However the 8Mb Rage card fitted to both does exhibit dithering. So the game runs fine but some of the details on the AFVs aren't shown.

A small price to pay until my PB needs replacing (not for a while yet).

Hi, I have also played the demo on my Imac DV with the 400 MHz G3, 128 Mb Ram, Rage 128 and 8MB VRAM and it looks great, especially the new animation. [troops running]

However, I run my computer on 800X600 all the time, since I think it makes text easier to read in my other applications. Could it be the BFC sys req were for 1024x768 (which I have not tried yet)?

;)

My iMac 400DV stops loading the 3D graphics when in 1024 x 768 mode. Runs fine in 800 x 600.

It would be nice if the program could either be massaged to say due to inadequate VRam you must reset your screen size to 800 x 600, or automatically reset it or at least allow you to kill the program. As it is now you get a crash where you can hear the sounds, get the black loading 3D graphics and cannot kill the program (using cmd, ctrl, and esc keys to quit to desktop) without resetting the computer with a hard restart.

All in all, for running on a slow, outmoded, Luddite machine :D , this program is excellent.

What a great job, kudos and thanks to all involved!

I'm just chiming in as one with lower Mac system specs than the "minimum." I've only played the small tutorial scenario, but that seemed to run just fine (ie, as well as CMBO) on my lime (rev. D) 333MHz G3 iMac, 288MB RAM, 6MB Rage Pro, at 800x600 resolution. With the automatic downgrading of texture quality, it didn't visually look all that much better than CMBO, but of course all the functional improvements are still there. Now I'll just hope it doesn't freak out in larger scenarios.

-Andrew

Andreas,

You are only partially correct. The truth is that I routinely run CMBO on my 233 MHz iMac (64 MB RAM and 2 MB ATI Rage Pro video chip) at full graphic settings (enhanced smoke, explosions), but only 640 x 480 resolution. It simply doesn't have enough processing power to run at higher resolution. I've tried.

Regards,

John Kettler

I'm running an identical iMac to that above, by the sound of it (233mhz 2mb vid chip) and am getting no joy whatsoever trying to kick up CMBB. Like John, it doesn't have the processing omphf to run CMBO at anything but low res.

Am I right to believe that 2MB just ain't gonna get it over the CMBB line? Any way at all (beside new puter) to adjust this/compensate for it/win the favour of insensate gods?

About the 2 meg thing.

I tried resizing almost all of the BMP's to 10% size.

Just to see if it'd run.

Actually I first resized all the bitmaps, but then the buttons

got so small that I didn't manage to launch the game.

Well the game ran, albeit with not so minor graphics distortions.

CMBB.jpg

But the main point is, that although I was not able to play,

the game did run.

This suggests it might be possible to downsample

just enough of the bitmaps to get the game running

with a hopelessly outdated card.

Ending my report from here to this.

[ September 02, 2002, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]