Favorite Units

My favorite unit has to be the Panther VG (Late) for the Germans and for the Ruskies I love the T-34/85. I like the Pz VG because although it has frequent flaws in the armor, it still has a great chance to shrug off most russian AT rounds and have the power to take out any russian AFV they can field. I think the T-34/85 is a great all around tank. Even though it's armor can be lacking the 85mm cannon can penetrate most german armor at decent range. The best part about the T-34 is it's speed, maxing out around 34 mph and able to out run all of the german heavies by a long shot.

Conscript 300mm rocket spotters used en masse can transform a QB board into a large crater. Nothing survives except well-armored vehicles once you five or so doing preplanned barraging. But my favorite unit is probably the Jagdpanther late model. It's virtually invulnerable when hull-down, b/c the armor slope is so great, and the 88mm gun can open any russian tin can. smile.gif

Let's see.

I like fast tanks with halfway decent guns. Pz 38(t) and BT-7. I also like tankettes since many Axis players like on-board mortars. BT-5A is the M8 HMC of CMBB.

I like T-34 based assault guns, SU-85, SU-100 and SU-122. Cheap, fast, effective.

I took some preferences over from CMBO: small stealthy FlaK guns. The Jagdpanther is still the mother of all hunters.

I think I will love the Stuart but I didn't came to make full use of it yet. I might like the Panzer IV/70 in CMBB better than in CMBO. The maps are bigger and the Jagdpanther is now much more expensive than the IV/70. Marder III early is nice, too.

I am not sure about airplanes, but as the Russians I like planes with many strafes and MGs/guns in the 12-20mm range because the Axis people often have thin armor and friendly fire doesn't hurt that much. I don't really enjoy friendly 550lbs bombs.

20mm 8-wheel armored cars rock in CMBB.

Sharpshooters and 150mm infantry gun. Same use, slightly different effect :D

Trenches. Nothing better than an empty first line of trenches, a second empty line of trenches, lots of flamethrowers in reach of the second line and an impatient opponent (or a too short scenario).

TRPs

Rachel Weisz

Mortar carriers

Rachel Weisz

Strangely enough I like what the historical forces liked, too, in a deliberate combat situation. I don't think any of this is especially gamey. Maybe the game isn't that bad after all smile.gif

[ December 16, 2002, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Il-2M planes - even with no bombload they knock enemy armor effectively.

T-34/85- an all-around tank, and with tungstens it can deal with almost any armor.

SMG/LMG squads - good firepower, especially at close ranges.

ATRs - small and cheap. And any Axis light armor lives no more than 3-4 turns under PTRS fire.