• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Kurtz:

Now I'm getting really confused!

Is 12 AM at midnight or at lunchtime?

If the people on the US west coast get it at 9 PM, the demo would have to be released at midnight, right? And they would get it at 9 PM tonight (August 31) If it is released at noon, they would get it at 9 AM (in the morning) and the time in central Europe would be 6 PM (18:00). But if it is released at midnight (in 9 hrs 40 min) I would be able to download it tomorrow morning.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Do I make sense? probably not....

Set your clock to wake up early in the morning. Look at the time, now count back till you reach 12. Make sense now?

West coast time is three hours behind Eastern time. If it's 12 am 09/09/02 in Washington DC, it's 9pm 09/08/02 in LA.

[ August 31, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

I don't understand why there is all this talk about refreshing when it doesn't seem to be necessary.

I mean if it is about having your ISP consider you "current" during the download and therefore not disconnect you, my ISP (Earthlink) recommends having your email program check for mail every 5 minutes or so. That way, you can go to sleep and download safely.

I thought that I would just toss that in.

This is great news! I well remember the release of the CM demo and how the servers

were brought to a crawl. lol smile.gif

It will be fun to see what happens now that the CM2 demo is almost here. ;)

I can't wait to see how all the *many* improvements that have been put

into CM2 will affect the way tactics interact. I'm sure we'll see

a big jump in the overall realism of combat. Which is saying something,

since CM is already the most realistic WWII tactical ground combat

computer wargame at this scale, ever.

Originally posted by Lee:

This is great news! I well remember the release of the CM demo and how the servers

were brought to a crawl. lol smile.gif

It will be fun to see what happens now that the CM2 demo is almost here. ;)

I can't wait to see how all the *many* improvements that have been put

into CM2 will affect the way tactics interact. I'm sure we'll see

a big jump in the overall realism of combat. Which is saying something,

since CM is already the most realistic WWII tactical ground combat

computer wargame at this scale, ever.

Hopefully we can get some cool eye candy like light sources in addition to more layers of grogginess.

Captain Wacky: You have to remember that considering the huge battlefields and

potential numbers of units we're talking about here, there are very strict limits

on what you can do graphically, or it wouldn't run on even the highest-end system. smile.gif

So 11 PM (23:00) is followed by 12 AM (00:00 / midnight), and then 1 AM (01:00)?

And 11 AM (11:00) will be followed by 12 PM (12:00 / noon), which will be followed by 1 PM (13:00)?

That's not very intuitive, no wonder no-one outside the US understood when it would be released. :eek:

Originally posted by Kurtz:

Now I'm getting really confused!

Is 12 AM at midnight or at lunchtime?

If the people on the US west coast get it at 9 PM, the demo would have to be released at midnight, right? And they would get it at 9 PM tonight (August 31) If it is released at noon, they would get it at 9 AM (in the morning) and the time in central Europe would be 6 PM (18:00). But if it is released at midnight (in 9 hrs 40 min) I would be able to download it tomorrow morning.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Do I make sense? probably not....

Hehehe listen very carefully. Assuming the Battle Front folks are hep to the hole am/pm time thing, the downloads will be post 'AROUND' O-hundred hours, 0:00, that's the September 1st side of the gap between late tonight and early tomorrow morning. All times are EST

Since it is past my bedtime, I too will be needing a Refresh Monkey, preferably a nocturnal one, though I have no problem chaining the little beast to my keyboard and shining the 300 watt lamp I use for interogating my GF on it until the download is complete or the monkey dies.

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

You've never heard of that? I thought it was pretty much standard throughout the world

I guess I never have had any reason to really think about it. Most of the time it's obvious from the context if it's midnight or noon.

And I think it's the 24 hour clock that's standard throughout the world. :D

I've never seen any use for Internet Time until now.

But I think timezone ZULU (UTC/GMT) and military time (24 hour clock) would be appropriate. But it would probably confuse a lot of people too.

Well, approximately 8 hours left....at least we can agree on that.

[ August 31, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Kurtz ]

I have been training this monkey for weeks! A special diet of gunpowder and Jolt cola for the last two weeks and he (well I had to fix that) is ready!! For some reason the non-neutered ones only survive about 4 to 6 hours and that wouldn't be long enough if there were a server crash.

He can refresh up to 400 times per hour for as long as 16 hours! While chaining the little beast to the chair proved problematic, nailing his feet to the desk worked just fine.

The only real problem is getting him to go into Berserker Refresh mode. So far what works best is Celine Dion for two hours straight. It has to be loud, and he must be in his monkey straight jacket or he will gouge his eyes out.

Number 4372, tonight is your night!

Guest Panzer Boxb

Well, I've offered the use of my server on a T-1 to mirror but they declined. But, once I download it I may set it up for a mirror for all you 56Kers out there. Should be able to support quite a few of ya.

Well after reading through this "time" debate, I have deduced that it will be released here in England at 5am Sunday morning, which is far too early for me, so I'll get up around 9am, and with a bit of luck all you "foreigners" will have d/l it and I'll have no probs ;) Night smile.gif