Can anyone identify this flag?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the first response from Rob at Flags of the World:

I don't recognise this flag either - we do show one at http://flagspot.net/flags/de_933cd.html#rlb with a similar sunburst design, but on blue - this was the National Air Protection League. I also think it might be a police unit flag - the Thuringia State Police flag of WW2 has a multi-beam design (http://flagspot.net/flags/de_933po.html#thu), but otherwise is quite different. Neither have a swastika, though. I will forward the image to our website mailing list, to see if anyone can identify it.
So he basically confirmed all of the things that we 'supposed' yet we still don't know any more than we did before. I'll keep everyone posted.

I don't recognise this flag either - we do show one at http://flagspot.net/flags/de_933cd.html#rlb

with a similar sunburst design, but on blue - this was the National Air Protection League.

I'm bad, yeah uh huh, I'm bad. That was the exact flag I pointed out. Same sunburst design background.

Cornflower... :D

You're still experiencing the blowback from your WWI thread in the general forum.
Ooo-Ooo, what was it. I love public humiliation. Wait, lemme get some chips. :D

[ February 26, 2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />please observe the birch trees in the background

Nah, thems Finnish birches. Probally of the Lappland variety, you can tell from the crooked trunks, much different from them European birches. :D I hate to be horticulturally incorrect but birches all look alike to me. From the pics in the URL's I had in that thread for Tank's trees, and some I've looked at since the bmp's that Tank did IMO, seem pretty close to my eye, if even one can tell a difference.</font>

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Mommy, what's empirical? smile.gif

Its a big area of conquered land.

There was the Roman Empirical, the Greek Empirical and the British Empirical.

The British Empirical smelled funny though, which is why they got kicked out of India.

Guest SnarkerII

Going to try to piece a puzzle together here.

Check this site http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/germany.htm and scroll all the way down to the modern patches.

Same 'flowered' background as the flag in this thread on all of the patches - not one or two.

Now it's not that far a stretch to say the flag on the sofa was a Nazi version of the Feldgendarmerie (Military Police) flag, with the swastika replacing the cross or whatever other symbol. I'm going to keep searching, but narrowed to Nazi Military Police. Note that Feldjager seems to be interchangable with Feldgendarmerie on many sites I've visited.

The Answer....

The flag that Croda has is (I believe, source to follow), a Reichsluftschutzbund (RLB) flag. The RLB was the National Air Raid Protection Force.

There is a picture of one on page 288 of the "German Military Collectibles Price Guide" by Ron Manion, published 1995.

Two entries listed in the book with the photo. One is sized at 3'x5' and the other is 4.5'x8'. So the sizes could vary. The other feature mentioned is a "Rope to bunting with looped ends" and "Bunting has rope with loop end".

The picture is spot on, number of "petals" "star" shape etc.

Grog on!

OGSF

Guest SnarkerII

Atta boy OGSF! Not only did you find it (I'm trusting your scan matches laddie) but you proved not everything is in cyberspace.

I don't ever want to see another Nazi flag again - seen too many of the floggin' things searching around tonight.

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Croda,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />To be truthful, I am kind of surprised to have something so obscure that no one has been able to label it with any defgree of certainty.

Obscure Nazi era stuff is probably more common than you think. They had a symbol, award, flag, uniform, etc. for practically everything, no matter how "big" or "small". There was a slew of stuff for falconry, motherhood, and just about anything else you can think of.

Consider that the Nazi government was in absolute power for nearly 12 years with a degree of control and influence which (thankfully) has rarely been seen on Earth. Not only that, but the Nazis were an industrialized nation more fond of symbology than probably any other state in the 20th century (rivaled by China and the SU). Put it all together and you can then begin to fathom how much crap these people churned out before the regime was broken up.

Steve</font>

$255 for that, they must be mad. Hell, it has Croda's arse groove in it and everything. Tell you what, I'll give you $50 bucks and one slightly bruised ego from a certain television cook? Act know and I'll throw in his brain - hardly ever driven.

Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

Your absolutly right......but it also has not been proven to be correct either.

True. However, with all the empirical evidence you so kindly provide, it is the most logical theory</font>

The Answer....

The flag that Croda has is (I believe, source to follow), a Reichsluftschutzbund (RLB) flag. The RLB was the National Air Raid Protection Force.

There is a picture of one on page 288 of the "German Military Collectibles Price Guide" by Ron Manion, published 1995.

{{"And here is Jim McKay with an instant replay of the Bruno Weiss initial call in this competition as taken from an alternate camera angle."}}

The crest behind the swastika on your flag looks very much like the crest in this picture, National Air Protection League, which was the banner of the Reichsluftschutz Bund / RLB. The RLB was a civil defence organization founded in 1935 on the order of Hermann Göring. The similarity of the two designs caught my interest.
{{"Tell us Jim, what made the difference here."}}

{{"Matt; OGSF, Weiss, and Croda, all seemed to dismiss earlier performances in this competition on ancient artifacts, flowerbuds, and whirleygigs, instead going straight for the technical analysis of the design parameters. As you can see, it was the winning combination. As a result, the Gold will be awarded to OGSF, the Silver goes to Bruno Weiss, and the Bronze was captured by Croda. Honorable mention for technical merit will be presented to Steve for his novel analysis on; Obscure things are probably common."}}

"Please stand for the National Anthem of CM."

:D:D:D:D

[ February 27, 2002, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]