2) Better machine guns

3) Better strategic AI from computer

4) Better TAC AI

5) Dynamic lighting

6) Atmospheric & particle effects

7) Higher polygon vehicles OR each individual soldier represented

8) More doodads to break up the open ground OR more detailed terrain modelling

9) More interactive environment

Dust would be great! Individual soldiers will be so totally cool when our machines are strong enough to handle battalion-level engagements.

Dream stuff:

1. CM engine game (CMII engine) with 70's-80's/modern equipment with hypothetical Warsawpact vs. NATO game.

2. Better represented and functional air support. In the future, this means helicopters!

3. Convoy command (to make them armored waves easier to plan)

1) Different explosion sizes depending on caliber.

2) No mirroring as a shortcut for left/right sides of things. No more tanks numbered 808 and named ANNA.

3) Noses.

4) Redundant file numbers and images for common objects. If you have five sets of identical church textures and five different sets of numbers, eventually it will get modded so that if you have a map with five churches, you'll have five different churches.

5) The ability to give each member of a squad a slightly different uniform.

6) German helmets that can have decals put on their sides without mirroring them on the lip.

7) No annoying small but ever-present hard-coded weapons that can't be modded.

8)Borscht.

I would love to see this CM engine used to make a Civil War version or mod. There isnt a lot of good games for this period. Combat Mission would put it into a very cool 3D perspective. It would of course entail using smaller units than brigades and divisions but thats ok with me. Anyone of you modders care to try this? smile.gif

I don't mean to speak a discouraging word, pcpilot, but it would require vastly more than a mod to make a Civil War game out of CM. Just for starters, the vastly different weapons systems would require extensive reworking of the game engine.

Further, WW II is BTS' baby. They haven't shown much interest thus far in other eras. Best thing you could hope for is that they would license the 3D engine to other developers to use in designing a new game from the ground up.

Michael

[ April 03, 2002, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Individual soldiers would require a massive amount of work to code, and would represent a completely different game - even if you were still giving orders to them in groups of 5 or 10. I see no advantage in including 10 men on the screen for each squad; think about the effort just to have, say, a squad boarding a truck, or the LOS issues if a squad couldn't fit entirely inside a building. I think Close Combat suffered from trying to model all the individual soldiers yet make command and control based on the squad.

Shorter Term

1) Beaten zones for MGs

2) Linear artillery concentrations

3) Ammunition resupply (see other thread on this qv)

4) Harder spotting of AT guns and Infantry AT weapons

5) Inclusion of landing craft (LCAs,LCMs,LCTs,LVTs)

6) Better mapping system, including importation of mapping data from external sources

7) Some degree of direction for CAS

8) Fix the Commonwealth/British rank structure/Orbats

10) Provision of early war vehicles/troops.

Longer Term:

1) Ability to edit section characteristics/numbers

2) Ability to interchange maps between "operations" and "battles".

3) Multiplayer game play

For my two sons:

1) Trains (with provision for Thomas the Tank Engine ;) )

2) Fire engines (to put out all those terrible fires Daddy! ;) )

Multiplayer mode where command gets subdivided with relative spotting. (each player gets a platoon or squad, etc.)

Individual sounds for every weapon.

Landing craft, and a Pacific version.

Flares.

Quad .50 cal.

Willy Pete.

Maps printable as topographic maps with grids.

Custom Combat Mission mouse and mousepad in olive drab, feldgrau or splinter camo signed by BTS team, with matching set of fridge magnets.

Hotkey for "Toggle wife sound on/off".

Mobile bath units - the dreaded secret weapon of the British Army (armed of course with tripod mounted Brens!)

Proper roles and equipment tables (including all CES) for the War Graves Registration Units ….

The ubiquitous ice cream and coke machines of the US Army - have rubbish will travel.

Ability for Germans to light their dugouts with a strategically lit match - what else is all that sauerkraut useful for?

Appropriate ranks and entitlements for the unit mascots including rations and equipment including appropriate weapons.

Edward

Movies that cover an entire battle. Fully exchangable on the internet. Fully viewable once downloaded. Of course optional Axis FOW, Allied FOW or none.

I'm still crossing my fingers for CMBB that this will have made it.

[ April 03, 2002, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: Garulfo ]

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Hotkey for "Toggle wife sound on/off".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

- recorded artillery targets (tenfold size of current TRP)

- atmospheric impact on shell and projectile trajectory.

- more than 2 multiplayers simultaneously

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

A PBEM turn would require sending only two files instead of current three. After the initial setup phase you would see a movie each time you receive a file!

This has been proposed before, and it's even doable (see for example this thread ).

Another wish:

per-weapon ammo tracking, with the option to collect ammo of the same type from fallen comrades if the squad is unsuppressed and not moving.

Dschugaschwili

Eye candy man, eye candy! For example:

1) Proper directional lighting on the map. Proper shadowing must help when studying the terrain.

2) Dynamic lighting, shadows, bump mapping, etc.

3) Make modding easier. I mean what's with the naming scheme for the BMPs?

4) More building types. I know the EU like standardisation, but only five building types is silly ;) I like the idea of the redundant textures too, as suggested above.

5) Can we get away from the 4- or 8-way symmetry on the maps? The obvious grid-based pattern really makes the terrain look fake, and roads don't just run along 8 points of the compass.

More seriously...

1) Indirect fire capability for on-board SP guns, etc. (like mortars can).

2) Perhaps the capability for a more "realistic" line-of-sight view (maybe not in real-time). I look over your shoulder and I can see the *%^%(%% tank, yet the engine says I can't. Show me why...

3) Why can't I load a map into a Quick Battle, or choose my units in a Scenario?

4)

After my extensive few days playing CMBO..

* Trench Warfare.

* Ability to Rally routed/broken troops.

* Ability to shoot your own troops if they try to desert.. ;)

* More and larger building types.. castles, large hotels, town halls and so on.

* More hours in the day.

Originally posted by jiggles:

1) Indirect fire capability for on-board SP guns, etc. (like mortars can).

2) Perhaps the capability for a more "realistic" line-of-sight view (maybe not in real-time). I look over your shoulder and I can see the *%^%(%% tank, yet the engine says I can't. Show me why...

3) Why can't I load a map into a Quick Battle, or choose my units in a Scenario?

Liked the suggestions smile.gif

Just one thing..

1) Minimum range, in the vast majority of the cases, is far beyond the confines of a CM map.

2) How do you mean, doesn't the LOS line tell you where it is blocked?

3) You will be able to load a map into a CM:BB QB.

Basically you can't buy your units in a scenario because it is a scenario, a predefined set of circumstances in which a battle takes place. After all, what would be the point of designing it all if the player was free to change it?

--

M.