CDV copy protection

Any news from our German friends regarding this?

My software store adviced me to disable the virus scanner and the firewall to avoid problems with CDV´s copyprotection. redface.gif

I can find only one word for this!

REDICULOUS :mad:

I hope BTS is willing to pay for a new computer if mine gets wrecked by a hacker or a virus after internet playing.

An even more disappointed CM player from Europe :rolleyes:

Some some guy tells you in a store, and you take his word without even trying to play the game with it enabled, yet, it is BFC's fault.

Try playing with it on. Port forward 7023 to go to your computer.

Rune

[ September 20, 2002, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: rune ]

Rune,not simply a guy at a store but someone with a great knowledge of pc's.

In fact he was the one who reported this to me and several other dutch guys,he also told it was a known problem with CDV releases.

And I never blamed any one,I was just asking if someone WOULD take the blame

I can see where a virus scanner could maybe cause problems with SafeDisk, etc.

However, I don't see why you would need a virus scanner running full time doing constant system scans. If I run any kind of virus protection it only scans email and internet acctivity (where 99% of viruses come from). A constant system scan to look at every file accessed is a bit paranoid and will really slow down your machine (as well as cause compatibility issues with software). A firewall is also not necessary unless you have a constant Internet connection through DSL or cable.

Keith

Sitzkrieg,

most (dormant) virus scan programms scan when you read from disk. This includes CD-Rom disks. As the copy protection program does not only try to verify the disk at start, but keeps verifying it during play (and some copy-right protecton programs do this) your virus scanner will keep intercepting and scanning.

Bertram

Sitzkrieg I do have a cable connection,so I really dont want to close my firewall.

So maybe you know now why I am getting more angrier,with each day going by another ugly "rumor"turns out to be true.

In the mean time no word on when the game is being released too.

The problem with CDVs copy protection scheme is, that a lot of DVD drives do not work together with it.

That is why I get myself a US version with the help of a nice guy from the forum.

Lots of customers had the same problems with Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind...needless to say, that both programs were pirated 1 hr. after release...so the only ones that suffered were earnest customers with new DVD drives...

Strange, at business school we learned, not to handle customers like this....

Fred

Originally posted by Stoffel:

Sitzkrieg I do have a cable connection

Good reason for a firewall. I've known some people with 56K connections that use firewalls and really don't need them.

Just a personal opinion. I've seen virus programs create more trouble than they will ever solve, especially Norton Antivirus.

I'm not a big fan of copy protection software myself because of the problems it has with some hardware and software. I had a game from a large publisher that used SafeDisk. Many people couldn't even get the game to work without a firmware update to their CD-ROM drive. It worked for me but my CD-ROM drive was never the same.

Folks, as you know I like to violently bash agressive copy protection schemes, as they screw the paying customer and leave the CD-crack using pirate alone.

However, in this case:

1) we have seen no actual case of the copy protection chosen for the CDV version o CMBB clashing with a firewall or virus scanner

2) CDV said they check only on game startup, then you can take he CD out. This means there will be no ongoing war of memory-resistent programs between your game and a virus scanner

I have to ask people to hold their horses until we have an actual case of this clash actually hurting somebody. Then we need to judge whether it's the copy protection's or the security program's fault. I would be happy to beat the crap out of any safedisk user I can get ahold of with a legally proof case, but this issue is a no-go for now.

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Couldn understand this debate, you all get the game a weak or so before the US guys can put theyr hands on this jewel...gooooo... and play!!!

No kidding. I wonder what other far off land will get the game before I receive my copy. Brazil? China? Australia? Outer Mongolia perhaps?

Just as a technical matter, it (EDIT smile.gif ) sounds like you have a shoddy firewall if the game's copy protection is causing a problem with that. Get a new one that doesn't try to be intimate with your CD drive. (END EDIT! smile.gif )

Now, as to SafeDisc, SecureROM, etc., they are horribly annoying and cause lots of problems...BUT you can avoid these problems by putting an image of the CD on your hard drive using CloneCD and using Daemon Tools to run a "virtual" CD drive emulating SafeDisc.

I hate pirates and piracy, but any copy protection beyond a CD key is going too far. None of this crap ever stops the pirates, it just ends up hurting paying customers.

Oh...by the way...for really egregious copy protection schemes, check out Battlefield 1942. It uses a total separate application to perform a Safedisc check. Problem? It does this check not only every time you join a server, BUT EVERY TIME THE MAP CHANGES ON THAT SERVER. Takes 20 seconds to do the check on a bleeding edge system, over a minute on systems that match the recommended specs. Now THAT is ugly copy protection.

[ September 20, 2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Becket ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

Lots of sensible stuff

Awww, come on, you can not suddenly bring Reason™ into this. I was beginning to enjoy it...

Fit to be a letter in the Daily Torygraph:

'Dear Sir!

I am appalled! My mate down the store told me that a software he has never seen will need me to do this and that on my machine which may or may not mess it up. He is an expert! Fix or somefink. Or else I will sulk. Never mind that none of the customers who has just received it has reported any problems.

Yours helplessly,

Outraged From Antwerp

Ps. When we were fighting the wogs in Indonesia, a funny thing happened to my mate, which has absolutely no bearing on this, but I shall relate it anyway, because it brings out well how this country is going to the dogs!'

This has to be a classic...

Originally posted by redwolf:

As for the other comment that it is impossible for a firewall and a CD copy protection scheme to clash - welcome to the world of crap operating system where every application can access the hardware as it wants. Technically speaking it will not be the pure firewall as in packet filter functionality, but many of these firewall packages do contain memory-scanning and disk-monitoring additional software. And most of it sucks.

Ugh. If my firewall came with software doing unwelcome things like that I'd send it back. I was thinking of core firewall stuff. Anyway, Daemon Tools should get rid of the problem by running the check from a CD image on a virtual drive.

Just as a technical matter, it is impossible for the game's copy protection to cause a problem with your firewall.
Just as a technical matter, I can conceive of a way in which it is very possible, at least for a software firewall. The copy protection could be using the network loopback interface (or, heck, it could be phoning home!). You'd HOPE the firewall would be smart enough not to interfere with loopback traffic, but you never know... and I guess it's also possible the loopback address could be spoofed.

As for Mac users and SafeDisk, well, let me tell you, I've downloaded cracked versions of GAMES I ACTUALLY OWN to run on VirtualPC, because otherwise SafeDisk takes about 5 minutes to let the game load.

tongue.gif

Originally posted by 1Sascha:

Installed the CDV version from my DVD ROM drive, with Norton Anti Virus running all the time and no problems so far.

Well, Stoffel, looks like your friend in the PC shop was wrong!

Mace

[ September 20, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Mace ]