Interview with posted at gamespy with Battlefront

... but at the same time the development of the next Combat Mission title will start this year already. Beyond that, we're looking at a complete

engine rewrite, ...

Does that last paragraph mean that there will be a CM3 before CM II (the rewrite?)

[ December 04, 2002, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Rollstoy ]

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />... but at the same time the development of the next Combat Mission title will start this year already. Beyond that, we're looking at a complete

engine rewrite, ...

Does that last paragraph mean that there will be a CM3 before CM II (the rewrite?)</font>

Originally posted by Sigurd:

From Rollstoy :

Does that last paragraph mean that there will be a CM3 before CM II (the rewrite?)

This puzzling question will definitly prevent me from falling asleep tonight : BFC fix it or do somefink !

I think there are more than a FEW of us curious about this one?

:confused:

-tom w

Originally posted by markgame:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

My guess would be that we will get ... the Dessert war before the CMII rewrite?

Well, I certainly hope so. I have been waiting ages to command my French Silk Commandos against the forces of the evil Banana Splits :D </font>

Any news on this?

While the engine rewrite is being produced (2 yrs or more?) it could make a lot of (financial)sense for BFC to recycle CMBO in CMBB colours, as it were (fairly minimal work)or produce a Med version (obviously a bit more work but with the advantage of a new theatre)

Then the rewrite could incorporate all three, maybe.

Not too sure about the "other time periods" bit.

A lot of research goes into the CM games, doesn't it? Pretty easy to imagine "development" starting NOW, continuing during the engine rewrite, and ending with the completion of the new engine.

Was the quote "development of the next Combat Mission title will start this year already. Then we'll finish the game. Beyond that, we're looking at a complete engine rewrite, ..."? I didn't think so.... ;)

... but at the same time the development of the next Combat Mission title will start this year already. Beyond that, we're looking at a complete engine rewrite, ...
I would guess that he means the research will begin this year, with the engine rewrite beginning some time latter. Steve has stated on a number of occasions that CMBB will be the last game using the current engine.

I can see why people get into making games. It must be a real ego boost to have people hanging on every word you utter. ;)