Exposure Percentages, including Foxholes

I searched and did not find this. So I thought it would be useful to record what the exposure percentage associated with each type of terrain is.

These numbers were taken in November, with clear dry weather.

Note the effect of foxholes. If you grew up playing Squad Leader, this is not what you would expect.

Also note the effect of movement: there is no effect. Cover percentage is the exact same when moving as when still, except for the case of crawling behind a wall, where exposure is 0%.

[edited to add rough, which I forgot originally]

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Wreck ]

[edited to add fords, thanks ciks]

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Wreck ]</p>

Pines I believe should give decent cover and concealment year round, the manual says you may find it difficult even hiding in scattered trees in winter, not sure about woods but I would think same to lesser effect. I didnt see rough terrain mentioned, anyone know what its exposure %age is?

Another thanks to Wreck - very useful.

Do you know if the exposure for Wheat varies seasonally? I only ask because in this weekends TCP-fest set in July'44, my opponent managed to hide a bloody great 105mm US Howitzer in the wheat without needing a foxhole!

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]</p>

Rex -- I am pretty sure that summer wheat will be thicker. I will have a look at July when I get a chance.

It may be the case, though, that the exposure from being in the wheatfield itself does not change, but the effect of tracing LOS through areas of it does. This is also something that can be easily checked, so I will take a look.

It may also be that way with trees. I have certainly noticed that scattered trees don't seem to provide much cover in the winter.

Hi Wreck,

First let me give my thanks for sharing your work with us!

There actually is already a VERY complete set of seasonal terrain concealment charts that were constructed and passed around some time ago. For some reason they don't seem to be posted where I can find them right now.

I don't have my copy with me but if you post on the main forum asking about them, I'm sure some helpful person would be happy to e-mail them to you.

Thanks a million for the info.

Some suggestions:

1. There are a few lacking land types - rough with foxholes, rubble, bocage, bocage with foxhole.

2. Instead of November, do one in December and one in August. This way we will have values for both extremes.

3. Do the numbers change if the unit is on the hedgerow or behind the hedgerow? How much does elevation affect the hedgerow bonus?

Also, These percentage values are the "exposure" value, which I think is abstract combination of "cover" and "concealment". It would be nice if we could separate the two so that we have values for both. That way one would know that a hedgerow provides good concealment but not good cover. But I'm not sure if this is possible to obtain from CM.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jagdwyrm:

AFAIK you cant dig foxholes in rough, if I am remembering correctly. Not sure about bocage. I have a question myself. Usually I put units I want to have cover in open ground just behind a wall, not "in" said wall. Anyone know if this makes a difference?<hr></blockquote>

No foxholes for rough or marsh. Foxholes in bocage are ok, but add nothing to your exposure rating. And you definitely want to be behind, not on top of the following terrain features. When behind bocage, it's 22% exposure. On top of: 56%. Wall: 30% behind, 95% on top. Hedge: 60% behind, 75% on top.

I don't know that the very handy exposure tables are still over on CMHQ; I can't find it even on the ftp server. Manx may have to add it back in.

BTW, never get caught moving through bocage and come under fire. Your units will take a real beating and they can't go anywhere very fast to get away from the incoming fire. Nasty stuff.

- Chris

Not that I really expect a reply but I've put a squad in a foxhole behind a wood building (two walls -- I suppose parallel windows being shot thru! I would guess it would beat 11% -- admittedly closed field of fire but it remains a tough nut to crack.

Not that I really expect a reply but I've put a squad in a foxhole behind a wood building (two walls -- I suppose parallel windows being shot thru! I would guess it would beat 11% -- admittedly closed field of fire but it remains a tough nut to crack.

I did those Exposure Tables that Panther G referred to. They used to be available at CMHQ but they seem to be lost now. Anyone interested, just drop me a mail and I'll send them to ya. I'll also send another copy to CMHQ as well.

Cheers!

Concealment charts would be incredible to have but very difficult to produce.

Many, MANY variables to control for.

Time for: Sound contact/ Partial ID/ Full ID

At various: Ranges

Considering: Unit types spotting, unit type being spotted, experience levels, terrain in and between, weather, morale....

But even a simple version might be very informative....

Does anyone know what the exposure is for craters? I recently played a TCP/IP game where I had a squad in woods in a crater (which had been created by an on-board SP gun earlier in the game) facing down in close combat with some other units. I thought he would be dead meat, but he only lost one man in the close combat while the enemy squads that were just in regular woods were significantly depleted. Are craters treated like foxholes, or are they something different entirely?

Redeker: your experience is like mine; craters seem to act as foxholes. I have not tested this in most terrain types, though.

That makes another good newbie tip, though. Watch carefully where the craters appear and use them for cover in an approach (if they are in open, wheat, brush, etc, and there is no better cover). Or use them as fighting positions if they are in woods, scattered woods, or pines. Of course it is rare that they are exactly where needed.

It's a documented tactic from WWII to briefly shell the ground your own troops have to attack through before the assault to provide cover for the infantry. I think it was the Brits who invented it, but it might have been the Germans, too.