Will we have "shockwave bubbles" back ?

Originally posted by Madmatt:

If you really want to have CMBB's view 4 EXACTLY like CMBO just give it one tap of down tilt (Shift-z) and there you go.

Any chance we may get the option of locking that tilt in place so we don't have to do it every time we go to view 4? I know this has been asked for by others.

Originally posted by Swift:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Renaud:

Good riddance to the shock wave bubbles. I prefer the current modeling.

In my personal experience, I have never seen any wierd 'bubbles' when firing heavy ordnance or when observing artillery strikes. This includes 105mm and 120mm direct fire cannons, 155mm and 4.2" artillery strikes. The current effect is much more realistic than the CMBO bubbles. Also, the current tracer fire graphic is much more realistic (although concealed MG teams won't fire tracer for obvious reasons, that's simply a game convention). It is very much like what I remember from M16, M249, M60 and M2HB (.50) tracer fire.

I wouldn't apply any patch which made a hardcoded change to bring back 'bubbles' or the old tracers.

Ren

In the opening movie for cc1 or 2 there is fotage from bombs being dropped over a field and the shockwaves is clearly visible (and way cool)</font>

Swift is thinking of a pressure wave created by a large bomb which can compress water vapor into visible droplets along the forward edge. We've all seen this in Vietnam era bomb footage. This is typically in the form of an expanding ring, not a bubble. Does not apply to anything but bombs and maybe the very heaviest artillery (155 is the largest I've seen).

Ren

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Le Tondu:

That's nice, but where can one get them???

OK, I've tried JuJu's explosions pack

Something happened here that I missed. I too would like to try the new explosions.</font>

Do the majority of people here miss the shockwaves? I thought they looked kind of dumb. The way it is modeled now is much cleaner and more realistic looking. It almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw a row of my tanks firing in the demo. Very awe-inspiring.

Originally posted by jamgra:

Do the majority of people here miss the shockwaves? I thought they looked kind of dumb. The way it is modeled now is much cleaner and more realistic looking. It almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw a row of my tanks firing in the demo. Very awe-inspiring.

If you're referring to the shell impact shockwaves, then yes, I miss them because I can no longer interpret events on the battlefield the way I used to in CM:BO. So I miss them as a game aid. I'm sure that after a few more weeks of playing I will make the adjustment, and so I don't mind them being gone too much.

From earlier posts by BFC, I think that, not only were the shockwaves unrealistic (for generic explosions of the scale we are seeing on the virtual battlefield) but I believe they compromised a few functions here and there, maybe having to do with screen shots or rendering or something. I can't remember exactly so I might be full of it.

As far as the new firing effects of cannon - i.e. no bubble but instead the elongated puff of smoke, I think that's a vast improvement over the previous graphic.

-dale

Wow, I remember a pretty major arugment in the fora about those stupid expanding bubbles back in the day.

Just another one of my suggestions that they finally saw the light on. smile.gif

Good riddance to the artillery shells loaded with soap bubbles. Totally ruined immersion.

Maybe someone could make an explosion mod that replaces the explosion with a big KA-POW with the red and blue comic book graphic, for those who like their graphics, shall we say, obvious?

Jeff Heidman

Damn you pedantic purists.

The shockwave bubble wasn't meant to be realistic, but it gave more "look" to the explosion, and made it easier to pinpoint it's relaitve location to nearby troops. Even with the mod, the current explosions look anemic in comparison to the original CM's.

I'll hope some mod guru brings 'em back. tongue.gif

Matt says maybe 2 patches this time (as opposed to more than 5 for CMBO?) before the game's finally put to bed. The chances he's going to devote ANY time to reinstalling shockwaves instead of finishing the remaining polygons is pretty close to zero, in my opinion. Sounds like BFC wants to get on with their lives instead of continually twiddling with the game.

A mod with a bright flash will most probably cure most of the visibility issues with artillery.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Damn you pedantic purists.

The shockwave bubble wasn't meant to be realistic, but it gave more "look" to the explosion, and made it easier to pinpoint it's relaitve location to nearby troops. Even with the mod, the current explosions look anemic in comparison to the original CM's.

I'll hope some mod guru brings 'em back. tongue.gif

I liked the shockwaves precisely because they weren't so realistic. It reminded me that CM was just a game.

IMO, if CM goes much closer to realism, there will have to be things like pools of blood and body parts brought into the game or it just won't be realistic. Can we have .WAV files for the wounded?

How realistic do people want the game to be until the qualities that can make it a game are no longer there?

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that this is a trivial question and I would like it to be addressed by "the powers that are."

At the very least, I'd be for having them toggled off or on like a lot of other things are in the game.

Originally posted by Le Tondu:

IMO, if CM goes much closer to realism, there will have to be things like pools of blood and body parts brought into the game or it just won't be realistic. Can we have .WAV files for the wounded?

How realistic do people want the game to be until the qualities that can make it a game are no longer there?

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that this is a trivial question and I would like it to be addressed by "the powers that are."

On other issues, there might be debate.

As regards gore, blood, and 'graphic' depictions of violence, as it were, BFC often and emphatically in the days of CMBO stated that this was not going to be in the game, not even as a 'toggle', and that they were not going to make it modable.

Any number of people, some with arguments based on 'realism', some good, and some bad, and a lot more for emphatically 'stupid and vulgar' reasons, wanted to see this introduced into the game.

BFC has never, so far as I've seen, backed off their laudable decision that this won't be brought into what is, after all, still a game.

'Immersion' is all very well, and makes for a more interesting experience, and in many cases even has validity within 'gameplay'.

Gratuitous introduction of gore, whether for the halfwits to ooh and ahh about, or the 'hyper realism' crowd to pontificate about, seems to be one of those lines that BFC doesn't intend to either cross nor blur.

I trust them, on issues like this especially, to make the right decisions, and I have a lot of respect for their integrity regarding their products and feel that thought goes into whatever they do.