What Should Be in the Patch?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suffice to say that there are a number of players out there who liked and used the backspace/waypoint delete function in CM:BO. Now that it's gone there is a slight feeling of being, well, handicapped in the every day use of the interface.

Pretty much the bottom line.

M.

Interesting thread. Some things reported are not bugged (like Dynamic Flags according to our tests), others are already there in a different form (hold the shift key in the editor to increment ammo by 10's) some we are currently looking into some are by-products of other issues (we see no TCP/IP data issue as such but that crash is apparently related to something else already fixed) and still others are already fixed in the fortcoming v1.01 patch.

Hopefully later this week I will post some more info about the patch and what it contains.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Interesting thread. Some things reported are not bugged (like Dynamic Flags according to our tests), others are already there in a different form (hold the shift key in the editor to increment ammo by 10's) some we are currently looking into some are by-products of other issues (we see no TCP/IP data issue as such but that crash is apparently related to something else already fixed) and still others are already fixed in the fortcoming v1.01 patch.

Hopefully later this week I will post some more info about the patch and what it contains.

Madmatt

Thanks for the update Matt. smile.gif

-tom w

Pending the forthcoming info from Matt, I have something I'd like to throw into the ring:

The ability to load completed games into the scenario editor. Either surrenders or AARs. A subtle enhancement would be to allow loading of games against the AI at any time.

I'm working on a map at the moment, and thought that a nifty way to add bombardment damage would be to add a bunch of spotters, have them cut loose, then load the game back into the editor and carry on from there. Sadly, it won't let that happen :( An auto-generated map c/w damage doesn't give what I was after.

Be cool

JonS

Thanks MadMatt.

As a sidenote, it sure is nice that the dev team reads this stuff and takes it into account. I know you all have done this from the beginning. I for one don't take it for granted. I don't think most do here either (take it for granted that is). Anyway, thanks.

TeAcH

[ October 07, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: TeAcH ]

What always bugged me in CMBO was inability to play any attack/defence QBs. The attacker would always overrun the defender. Always. Now with the new improved suppression and fatigue model attack/defence battles in CMBB are very close. They are a lot of fun. I'm not sure if many peole tried that but I played about 8 games with my friend attack/defence and all of them were very close. Actually much more fun than ME in CMBO (at least for me). But there is one thing that bothers me. I, as a defender, always run out of ammo. Especially for MGs. Somewhere by turn 22-23 my MGs are listed as LOW on ammo and thus become pretty much useless. Same happens also with the rifle squads. I would like to ask BTS to allow the defender to get an additional ammo supply. Say +20% for probes, +40% for attacks and +70% for assaults. Of course the ammo should be lost if the units move from there original location.

And another thing that I would like to see added in the patch is the ability to use backspace to delete a wavepoint while plotting the path. this was already asked for quite a few people so I add my voice there.

And one more thing. I'm not sure if anybody raised this question before but why there is no rarity setting for infantry? I would think that some formations were more rare than others at different times. I think it would be nice to see some infantry types to be more expensive then others (relatively) depending on the time period.

Lots of good stuff. Here's a small thing. In the setup screen there's a field with fitness and something else. (Can be toggled to buy individual tanks or platoon.) These two fields don't fit ito the area, they're too big. Could it the size of these two fields (pulldown menues) are static and therefore in a high resolution (1280x???) they are too big? (Haven't tried low resolution to test this theory.)

Defensive AI

I'd love to see a defensive AI option for scenario designers that forces units to stay put in defense (unless they are forced to withdraw by enemy fire). Defensive doctrine for most armies worldwide (including presumably those in CM:BB) is for most troops to stay put in their fortifications and blunt the attacker before counterattacking with a reserve. Unfortunately the AI often moves troops forward out of their defences before the defensive position is breached and they become easy kills for an attacker. If the AI could be tweaked so that most troops stayed put and only some at the rear (or reinforcements) had the freedom to move as counterattack forces then I think this would help. What do y'all think?

Originally posted by Sloth:

Defensive AI

I'd love to see a defensive AI option for scenario designers that forces units to stay put in defense (unless they are forced to withdraw by enemy fire). Defensive doctrine for most armies worldwide (including presumably those in CM:BB) is for most troops to stay put in their fortifications and blunt the attacker before counterattacking with a reserve. Unfortunately the AI often moves troops forward out of their defences before the defensive position is breached and they become easy kills for an attacker. If the AI could be tweaked so that most troops stayed put and only some at the rear (or reinforcements) had the freedom to move as counterattack forces then I think this would help. What do y'all think?

I doubt we will see many AI tweaks at this stage of the game.

Anyhow, setting up the defense so that the AI stays put is really the task of a designer. The CMBB ai is also alot more likely to leave units where the designer placed them and to remain there than its predecessor.

WWB

First of all, sorry, but I didn't read the previous posts.

What I'd like to have in the next patch:

I was creating a scenario FIN-SOV and I added one lousy German Kubelwagen in there and the scenario immediately changed to GER-SOV. You should be able to decide who's against who or the game should check how many points have been used to FIN & GER troops and then deciding the "participating" country.

A small request about the cover arc gestion : it would be nice to issue the same cover arc order to several units at the same time, as we did with the ambush order in CMBO. ( by double clicking an HQ then target the ambush marker)

thus : i'll save up time AND trigger all covered arcs at the same time. I miss this ability.

:(

I just noticed a small graphics glitch while playing 'Wittman in the East' and haven't seen it mentioned yet so I'll include it here.

A halftrack that had a flamethrower team along with a squad of infantry apparently was too crowded inside so one of the infantry figures hangs outside of the vehicle.

Naturally the only remaining comment has to be...

BTS fix or do somefink!

BDH

We need dedicated green grass (Same doodads as Steppe but juicy green).

Now one is very limited, suddenly at a certain amount of Steppetiles the green grass turns brown which is very annoying. It doesn't matter if you choose a spring month or a Nothern theater (Finland, North, Middle).

Request: A dedicated button in the scenario editor for grass tile. Leave the Steppe one as it is now together with it's functionality which is good for certain applications.

Greets

Daniel

I don't mean this as a criticism but this is a remarkably wimpy wish list for the patch! BFC has done such a thorough job on CMBB that nobody's coming up with any earth-shaking suggestions (probably because the earth already shakes in the game!)

Here's my own wimpy wish list:

- One or two alternate aircraft sounds to distinguish fighters from bombers.

- One or two alt. aircraft shadow types for the same reason.

- The ability to I.D. an aircraft type when it's one of ours (you can I.D. an attacking enemy's now).

- Not MY wish but I'll throw it in for the guys...return of shockwave in order to better spot where the artillery is falling on a large map.

- REALLY slow down the time it takes between a KV-1 buttoning and firing, because you have to factor in the commander/gunner making his way back to the gunner's seat (hatch isn't over the commander's station).

- permit the SS (or whatever they're called in the game) to do unspeakable acts to their Russian captives like they can in CMBO. I swear I saw ss units deliberately executing U.S. prisoners during one Ardennes scenario.

[ October 09, 2002, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

From Rex, concerning the grouping of cover arc commands :

Sigurd - lots of us agree with your suggestion, and I have asked about it recently. Unfortunately Steve said it's a definite no-go, too much coding work apparently.

Thanks for the clear, definitive answer. I understand the Pb.

BTW I agree with MikeyD concerning the commander of the KV-1, needing much time to occupate the right seat, when he buttons up. Then delaying the first shot.

Is it possible to implement this without too much coding ?...

I read elsewhere on this forum that bad ergonomics caused some early Russian tanks to be quite ineffective. Is it only reflected by actual ROF / spotting abilities / inexperienced crews / 2 man-turet penalties? or is there some hard coding to translate those especially bad ergonomics ?

(but for the most part, I'm already happy with it, I find the existing tank modeling far more enjoyable, in comparaison with CMBO :D !)

[ October 09, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Sigurd ]