What spec machines are people playing CM with now?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus mate, I feel for you.. Really I do.. If you live in the UK you can have my second rig. It's a Duron of some sorts (haven't fired it up in ages) but it's a whole lot quicker than yours.. I think it's about 600mhz or something..

Sorry buddy just ready your' profile. It was a Celeron by the way, not a Duron.. smile.gif

[ July 06, 2002, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: phil stanbridge ]

iMac RevB, 233 mhz, 192 mb ram, 6mb vram

iMac SE 400 mhz, 256 mb ram, 8 mb vram

I will likely have to upgrade for CMBB, though I may look at reducing texture resolution to allow the SE to run it. By this I mean to use batch process to reduce resolution or size of each texture file. I will see if this will work.

Originally posted by Juha Keratar:

166 MHz AMD, 32 Mb memory, 12 Mb Voodoo 2 as 3D-card, and the results shown on 14" Panasync. smile.gif

And yes, it won't run CMBB, and I won't be updating my hardware anytime soon. :(

-Lunael

I'm getting ready to retire my backup computer: a Pentium II 350 with a voodoo II, 96mb 100mhz memory. Once I get my new machine in the mail and configured for school, work, and play, you can have it. Wouldn't get more than $50 for it anyway. At least you could connect two voodoo cards together and perhaps be able to run CMBB that way. It really does need a home. I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Oh, to answer the original question:

Currently: 450MHZ AMD K6III; 200+MB Ram, Viper 770 TNT2 non ultra video card.

In the mail: AMD Athalon 1800, 512MB 2700 DDR ram, GeForce4 64MD DDR ram MX440 video card. CMBB should scream on it.

[ July 06, 2002, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Diceman ]

450Mhz PII, 256MB and 128MB ATI Radeon 8500 LE(?).

The video card is overdimensioned and the CPU can't get any better speed out of it than my previous Matrox G-400, but now I can load all the mods I ever wanted.

As a reference, this system is slightly too slow for bigger CMBO scenarios with full mods, plotting gets hickups. It even works for Fire on the Mountains, though smile.gif

Thanks Diceman, but there's a little distance problem here. smile.gif

Anyway, playing CMBO certainly isn't as bad as one might think with this old rig. Bigger scenarios are little slow to run, but I don't play big scenarios anyway. The scale I enjoy, battalion of infantry with max of company armor, runs ok. Of course, I can't be too liberal with modding the game.

I've been keeping my eyes open for used computers, and here in Finland it's pretty easy to find something like 800 MHz machine cheap. I trust I'll be playing CMBB next winter. smile.gif

-Lunael

Finally, after a year of piece-by-piece upgrading, I have the system of my dreams:

Athlon T-Bird 1.4mhz

Shuttle AK31 mb

512mb DDR Ram

Geforce4 420 MX w/64mb Ram

ALuminum case w/viewing panel!(need to get winking lights)

Samsung 20" Flat-screen

Oh, and Roadrunner High-speed of course!

Originally posted by Sybaris Angst:

1.1 Ghz, 256mb, G2 64mb, 19" Sony

That 19 inch sony flat screen has a great picture, i have one myself, G 400 is the one i have, i know there is a silver one too. I just recently built myself a new rig. 1.8 ghz Pentium4,Leadtek Geforece ti 4400, 512 mb of ecc RD ram, Santa Cruz sound card, P4t-e motherboard, and it's inside an antec server case. I used all top noth components and i still saved myself well over 1000$ then if i went oem with less quility components and little room for uprades.

Sorry to cross post, but I started a thread last night to test the speed of different computers/processors. It's in the general forum under speed test. I'm really curious to see the difference between some really high powered systems and the amount of time it takes for them to process the same turn.

The newer generation of Pentiums really look fast. Please try and download the turns and post your times.

Thanks. Scott

Guest Panzer Boxb

Dual AMD Athlon XP 1900+ on Tyan TigerMPX M/B

1GB PC2100 RAM

PNY Geforce4 Ti4600

Apple 22" Cinema Display (soon to be augmented by a Dell 20" LCD display)

Windows XP Pro

PowerMac G4/933

768MB RAM

Geforce4MX (will be replaced by at least a Geforce4 Ti card - anyone know of a dual-ADC card available?)

Apple 22" Cinema Display

MacOS 10.1.5/9.2.2

Dell Inspiron 8200 1.7GHz Laptop

512MB RAM

Geforce4 GO 64MB

Windows XP Pro

Originally posted by Juha Keratar:

166 MHz AMD, 32 Mb memory, 12 Mb Voodoo 2 as 3D-card, and the results shown on 14" Panasync. smile.gif

-Lunael

You bastard! I've always considered myself to be the one with the worst system on this board. And now you come along... ;) Upgrade immediately! If you don't I will be forced to downgrade smile.gif

PPC 166, 16M VRAM, 19" sony. But it runs fine (smaller scenarios) and I have no plans to upgrade now.That might change after CMBB is released, but I think it might be enough. For 100 point QB that is :(

/Kristian