Looking to buy this awesome game.. but!!

Awesome..

"Submit Secure Order"

<click>

"Here's a receipt for your order"

Here we go..

I'm thinking.. a week? Ahh I hope so, I can only whip the germans so many times on the demo maps. smile.gif

(Yes, I've played AS the Germans too.)

Moahahah! Got you!

It is actually being transported by yaks from the inner parts of Mongolia, tied to a trained seal up in northern Siberia and, hopefully, picked up by a Canadian Eskimo who then treks on snow shoes down to the US border. There you'll be able to pick it up if you have the cash to bribe the customs officers..

M smile.gif

I know one thing.. if the full version is even remotely more addicting and fun than the demo, I'm going to have to build a shrine.

Here's my story:

I play World War II Online. (Yes, I know that some people think it's junk, etc.. but I love it. smile.gif

I was reading in the WWIIOL forums about this game. I decided I would download the demo and give it a shot. Ended up downloading it, and forgot all about it. 2 days later I decided I would give it a go. When I first installed it I thought, "ugh... kind of 'amatuerish'" when I saw the installation screen itself. "But what the hell, it's a demo.."

So I fire it up.. and BAM. Cool music. Not as cheesy as I thought it would be.

Load up the first demo map.. read the battle orders. "Hrmm.. well let's see where this is going."

(Loading 3D graphics..)

"Cool, 3D stuff.. "

Sitting there staring at the back of 2 tanks, fairly close. "Hrmm.. not the BEST graphics in the world, but who needs graphics anyways? I'm in it for fun and strategy."

Take a few minutes to learn that the first move is a setup move, and not an actual deployment. Fiddle with the controls having NO clue what all the maroon lines meant. Kept fiddling with the controls, testing the orders, etc. "Hrmm.. this looks like it could become tedious and boring.."

Moved my men out. They move.. I hear the orders being shouted and the tanks roaring to life. "Very nice sound effects!"

Troops move to their spots, and then I'm back to the movement. "Ugh.. what's this do? What's THIS do?" (Learned very quickly how simplistic the controls are after you learn them. smile.gif

Troops move again.. one of my shermans roll up on a little knoll. Computer thinking...

Scene begins to play out. POOF.. Shhhhhheeeeerkkk WHAM!!! Pops the top on my sherman. "HOLY GOD!! THAT WAS AWESOME!!" Rat-tat-tat-tat.. rat-tat-tat-tat..

Then the indistinguishable sound of an MG42. "These sound effects ROCK!!"

And thus, I was hooked.. smile.gif

Tried out WWII online by using a free 14 day trial and found a lot of things to like.

Standing in the tower of a lovingly crafted tank scanning through my binoculars the other side of a French river valley that actually feels and looks very much like the real thing. Flanking me are a few more tanks and with infantry ahead of us down by the bridge we guard the crossing. Overhead a lone Me 109 circles.

Suddenly there is a call on the radio reporting tanks nearing the ridge opposing us, Char B and Somua along with trucks. On the other side, some 3 kilometers away, the Pz II that spotted them can be seen speeding along the road down towards the river.

Bring up an 88, can someone spawn as towing vehicle?

Etc..

--

Tanks and AT weapons worked very well and the terrain worked well for them, armoured engagement being absolutely thrilling. But for pretty much everybody else it is a pretty, hmm, impoverished environment. For example, the planes have ridiculous flight models and the infantry is just too poorly modelled even compared with the most simplistic first person shooter imaginable.

The vehicles and the many good team players was what I liked, but it was not enough to make me want to pay up.

--

In any event, that is all OT! What is important is that you will soon have in your hands the best tactical WWII game in existence. Cheers and welcome smile.gif

M.

[ April 04, 2002, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Mattias ]

Originally posted by Mattias:

Moahahah! Got you!

It is actually being transported by yaks from the inner parts of Mongolia, tied to a trained seal up in northern Siberia and, hopefully, picked up by a Canadian Eskimo who then treks on snow shoes down to the US border. There you'll be able to pick it up if you have the cash to bribe the customs officers..

M smile.gif

We don't have Eskimos in Canada. We do, however, have Inuit....

It's amazing how an almost 2 year old game, without all the glamour and glitz graphics and cool packaging, is still hooking people on one simple concept...IT'S THE GAMEPLAY THAT MATTERS!

Welcome to the collective, Orge Nutz! You have been assimilated. :D

If you don't like the graphics, there are a few graphic mods around that might change that opinion. Not many, just a FEW HUNDRED MEGS WORTH! ;)

Hope you have broadband.

[ April 04, 2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: sitzkrieg ]

Originally posted by Mattias:

Moahahah! Got you!

M smile.gif

Welcome Ogre Nutz! Don't despair, it's worth the wait.

You are a bad bad man Mattias[/b. By the way, don't you owe me a turn?

The scads of scenarios, the mountains of mods, the grogtobulous forum, the knowledge that you are now a full fledged member of the CM community, all this and more, for a paltry fifty bones and a few days waiting?

It's like stealing.

Welcome aboard.

Oh yea, the game is pretty good, too.

Hrmm.. not the BEST graphics in the world
Our recomendation, and I think I speak for everyone on the board, is to go to this site and download all the 3rd party mods that appeal to you: http://www.combatmission.com/

Especially download the buildings by Panzertruppen, then the grass textures by DD or Wolf. These graphics will make WWII online look like Zork.

There are also lots of other mods on other sites. Smoke mods, winter mods, uniform mods, sound mods... you name it, they got it.

Originally posted by Offwhite:

Did they change the bmp numbers between the demo and the published disk? Assuming not, you could at least preview your mods for the units in the demo while you wait for your CD.

They didn't, and one could, yes.

Download Fernando's mods who was mate of my WWII OL squad smile.gif anyway he got bored (like me) because the unrealistic gameplay and the lacking of thousands of features and he left. I´m still paying (for supporting the product) and playing sometimes, I was in the axis GHC and was KG XO (and squad XO).

Anyway CM will give you lots of hours of fun too smile.gif

cheers

Ogre;

Got mine in about 5 business days - this was last month - so don't despair.

Have modded the s**t out of it and everything looks VERY cool now.

You will at least want to get the "Gunmetal" interface and the "Clipboard" pop-up menu at this site;

http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

Regards,

Barkhorn.

[ April 05, 2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Barkhorn1x ]

The only times I've seen posts about 4-5 week deliveries was when they had difficulty delivering to the Unibomber's cabin in the woods.

Actually, when the game first came out The completely ran out of stock TWICE and had to print-up more CDs ...and STILL I got the game inside a month!

I've noticed most retailers who use the mails say "4 to 6 weeks" to cover their bottoms just in case the Post Office looses it for awhile.

Ogre!

You remember me right?

We both play 'Day of Defeat, DoD', WW2OL, and now CM! ;D!

Good taste my friend, good taste!

BTW: I just got my copy in the mail today! I came home from class and my mom was like: "Andy, some package came in the mail."

I thought to myself: "OWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOW YAYAYAYAY!" <--- Kid before Christmas

:D

I thought we'd start seeing some WW2onliners in this neck of the woods. Mattias is spot on IMO, some great elements and ideas but too many flaws, the infantry model and the 64 player viewable limit being my personal show stoppers. There's some interesting debate over there, if you don't mind sifting through the hostility and nonsense. Ok its improved over the last few months but still....

Welcome to what is probably the most informed, friendly and at times comical, games related forum on the net.

I had a moment of clarity when I discovered CM. I just knew this was gonna fundamentally change the way I looked at computer gaming. After that pivotal event :D other titles just don't hold my interest, (gasp somewhat shamefully, CS to a lesser extent excluded :D ).

And then there's multiplayer. Just when you thought CM was a mere moral like the rest, you start to wonder; will this child of the gods ever die?

[ April 05, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Londoner ]

tsk, tsk, tsk,...

For a while I thought this forum's "Borg-like tendencies" have taken a hike. Seems I was wrong.

Oh, and when you get the full version and start surfing for CM stuff, you WILL become another nameless "Mod Slut." Not that there's anything wrong with being a slut. I mean a Mod Slut.

ww2 online, I paid for 6 mnths membership :(

havent gone back for another look at that game for the last 3 mnts i think my membership is expired now.I wanted to go infantry but divisions of tanks seem to be the name of the game oh Including frame rates and getting killed by tanks 10 miles away and wasted by AI gunners 5 miles away in the dark.Has it got better in the last few mnths as i just really got turned of to the point where just starting the game up is a chore.

I only like to play infantry as well