panzerfaust

endit

I have just been playing a little with the demo and am surprized that my soviet tanks can run the battlefront at will. What happened to the panzerfaust & it's little brother? This really changes the tables for the germans, as I hate those panzerfausts.

Was this left out of the demo only? Or maybe the germans didn't have them on this front?

Thanks

Originally posted by jagcommander:

I believe that the panzerschreck and faust were knock-offs of American bazookas captured in North Africa. The earliest they could have been captured in 1942.

Only the Panzershreck. The Panzerfaust was an entirely different, parallel development that AFAIK was an entirely German design. (though, of course, some of the concepts used, like the shaped charge & c. were not originally german)

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jagcommander:

I believe that the panzerschreck and faust were knock-offs of American bazookas captured in North Africa. The earliest they could have been captured in 1942.

Only the Panzershreck. The Panzerfaust was an entirely different, parallel development that AFAIK was an entirely German design. (though, of course, some of the concepts used, like the shaped charge & c. were not originally german)</font>

Originally posted by Pacestick:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jagcommander:

Only the Panzershreck. The Panzerfaust was an entirely different, parallel development that AFAIK was an entirely German design. (though, of course, some of the concepts used, like the shaped charge & c. were not originally german)</font>

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

[QBBy 1940, though, many nations had developed shaped charge weapons; the American bazooka was invented in 1941, but the warhead it fired was acutally purchased from a Swiss firm in the late thirties. (yes, the US Army bought the warheads before they had a delivery system!) The British Rifle Grenade Type 68 is a 1940 design (meaning that it must have been developed earlier than 1940) that uses a rather crude shaped charge. [/QB]

This pretty much jibes with what I've read. The bazooka was copied because the Germans thought that it was a better way of delivering a shaped charge warhead than whatever they had been working on. They already knew about the shaped charge principle, but I think that they had been trying it out in Puppchen-type guns, not individual-type weapons.

A quibble, and a question...

RPG=Rocket Propelled Grenade

My impression is that the Panzerfaust fired its round from a propellant charge that was consumed within the launcher. The difference being, the propellant in a rocket is in the round and continues to burn after leaving the muzzle (or laucher), while the panzerfaust had only the initial propellant burn in the launcher to propel it.

Technically, the bazooka and panzerschreck are closer to that definition to an RPG than is the panzerfaust.

What confuses things is that the postwar Russian RPG's look a bit like panzerfausts more than bazookas.

Comments? Anyone care to straighten me out if I'm getting this wrong?

Shaped charges use the Monroe Effect, discovered in 1883 (or maybe 1885) by Charles Monroe, and independantly rediscovered in Europe in 1911.

IIRC Monroe noticed that the depressed print in blocks of guncotton left mirror images in metal they were placed against, but he didn't explore it any further.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

A quibble, and a question...

RPG=Rocket Propelled Grenade

My impression is that the Panzerfaust fired its round from a propellant charge that was consumed within the launcher. The difference being, the propellant in a rocket is in the round and continues to burn after leaving the muzzle (or laucher), while the panzerfaust had only the initial propellant burn in the launcher to propel it.

Technically, the bazooka and panzerschreck are closer to that definition to an RPG than is the panzerfaust.

What confuses things is that the postwar Russian RPG's look a bit like panzerfausts more than bazookas.

Comments? Anyone care to straighten me out if I'm getting this wrong?

AFAIK, the RPG 7 works on the same principle as a recoilless rifle, i.e. the projectile is launched by a charge in it's base. After the projectile has travelled a short distance, the rocket motor ignites and propels the projectile to it's target.

As an aside, the ignition of the rocket motor is supposed to cause the projectile to roll to the right, but this can be compensated for by an experienced user.

Originally posted by highlife:

Here is about as much as you would want to know, courtesy of forum member M Hofbauer.

Panzerfaust

Thanks, I went to that swell site and was impressed. Got me as confused about my premise as did the site about the RPG that I found.

In the end, it seems to matter little, the RPG and faust are essentially son and father in most repects as to use.