2002: A Peng Challenge Oddity

Mace

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Patch:

Yaknong, yes you did. You forgot YK2.

I hope your wound is healing properly.

Persephone<hr></blockquote>

Persephone

Thanks, my recuperation is slow but steady and with plenty of occupational therapy I've learnt to shuffle along...

YK2, I apologise to you too for the same lowly behaviour. I hope I haven't caused offence or unneccessary embarrassment.

Yeknod

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Yes, as Persephone has pointed out, the Fair Emma, or Yk2.

But, Yeknod, you have amended your ways. You stand, if not righteous in the sight of the Olde Ones, then no longer under a cloud of disdain and lowering doom.<hr></blockquote>

Seanachai, lesson hard learnt, I think. Though please give me more lowering doom.... as a Yeknod I thrive on pessimism, doom, futility, angst and general hopelessness... not for nothing that I've taken to CM:BO.

Yeknod

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mace:

That's quite English of you!

Mace<hr></blockquote>

LOL, Mace, yes, something we've hopefully passed on to others... though it may have originated from north of the border... take OGSF, for example....

Yeknod

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Yeknodathon ]</p>

I'd rather not.

Mace<hr></blockquote>

....hmmmmm, yes, I see what you mean... I don't know why but I seem drawn closer to the fellow and with this in mind I've prepared myself for the encounter... any advice approaching the wee Jock will be appreciated... for instance, is it a fair maiden?

Yeknod

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

I have two points of analysis:

(One of Them) I saw LOTR again tonight ... GAWD that's a great movie.

Joe<hr></blockquote>

Correction, Sire ..... LOTR is a great NEW ZEALAND made movie. Credit where credit is due........ even if it has to be granted to [gasp]sheep-shaggers[/gasp].

AJ

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AussieJeff:

Correction, Sire ..... LOTR is a great NEW ZEALAND made movie. Credit where credit is due........ even if it has to be granted to [gasp]sheep-shaggers[/gasp].

AJ<hr></blockquote>

No, no, no, you have it all wrong (there's a surprise).

The film makers wanted to create Middle Earth, a land where electricity, automobiles, computers, televisions, radios, the printing press and dental hygiene are all but unknown.

What better place than New Zealand?

As some of you may already know, I’ve had a few struggles in the last six months. The most major of them was my little sister’s condition. My sister, Elizabeth was diagnosed with a Grade three brain tumor in August and had to go through both surgery and radiation treatment. This was complicated by her current pregnancy. Ah, but here is the good news: She had an MRI two weeks ago and they couldn’t find a single speck of cancer in her head!! That is a huge weight lifted off of our hearts!! My family and I have been stressing over this for some time and there seemed to be little hope. If you are the praying sort, then please add another prayer to your list for her. She is due at the end of Jan (I think) We are hoping that she won’t have to through Chemotherapy now.

Normally, I wouldn’t share this with the board at large because there are so many of you I don’t know and the general mood in this forum is quite lighthearted. That’s why I didn’t share it before. The “C” word is usually verboten in such places. I know it scared the crap out of me before. Nothing like being a big brother and not being able to protect your sister from cancer. So, I feel encouraged now and would like to share it with you. (It’s a good thing)

Thanks to those of you who showed your concern both here and in email. I appreciate the support.

Don't worry, I'll be back in character after this post.

Hiram,

Thank you for that piece of news. It is good to have proof that there is always hope and that sometimes, sometimes things work out alright.

I find that an encouraging thought.

I don't pray, but all three of you have my best wishes.

Johan

I have two points of analysis:

(One of Them) I saw LOTR again tonight ... GAWD that's a great movie.

(The Other of Them) And while I'm on the subject of great, are there any Poolers who play IL-2 online?

Joe<hr></blockquote>

I got turned away from a sold-out LOTR last weekend, but will try again this weekend.

Yes, Red Joe, I have purchased IL-2 Sturmovik, and I have also spent a large sum of money that I assimilated from others to build the World's Mightiest Computer so that I can fly with full details. I waited for IL-2 as long as I waited for CM.

I take pleasure now in realizing that this new game may offer me yet another way to ruin your ambitions and smash your gargantuan ego.

Being the thorough chap I am, however, I am still setting up the game with Game Commander voice controls, and I must customize my joystick settings. When the time is appropriate, I will venture online.

BTW, how does IL-2 look when played on a Gameboy?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lawyer:

Yes, Red Joe, I have purchased IL-2 Sturmovik.<hr></blockquote>

Oh this is too good to pass up. I'll buy it. The opportunity to blow you cretins out of the sky with a Me109-F's 15mm o' love brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I had decided that my simming days were over but this one looks very neat. How is the AI? Can you stall wings independently? Can you set up arenas for Pengers only? How would you rate the flight model?

Lemme know,

Johan

Ah, a man's work is never done it seems, so MUCH to reply, so much scorn to deliver. Well, sooner begun, sooner done:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>No, no, no, you have it all wrong (there's a surprise). The film makers wanted to create Middle Earth, a land where electricity, automobiles, computers, televisions, radios, the printing press and dental hygiene are all but unknown. What better place than New Zealand? <hr></blockquote> And the Orcs, don't forget the Orcs ... though they MAY have imported the lot from Australia.

Hiram ... thanks buddy, hang in there.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I got turned away from a sold-out LOTR last weekend, but will try again this weekend. <hr></blockquote> Perhaps you could hire some filthy, bedgraggled, smelly urchin with runny nose and unbrushed teeth to purchase the tickets in your stead ... not that the theater would SUDDENLY be un-sold-out for HIM ... no, I never suggest such a thing. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Yes, Red Joe, I have purchased IL-2 Sturmovik, {large volume of self-agrandizing snipped} I take pleasure now in realizing that this new game may offer me yet another way to ruin your ambitions and smash your gargantuan ego.<hr></blockquote> I have no ego, as I've said before, other than having a cold appreciation of my own genius I find myself quite a modest man. But I TOO look forward to seeing you through the gunsight of my Yak, Mig, Laag ... Hell I could take you in a Rata! Pity it's not flyable yet.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Being the thorough chap I am, however, I am still setting up the game with Game Commander voice controls, and I must customize my joystick settings. When the time is appropriate, I will venture online.<hr></blockquote> When IS Hell scheduled to freeze over then, has there been an update? <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> BTW, how does IL-2 look when played on a Gameboy?<hr></blockquote> Hey pal, work out your perversions on your own time. MY computer is sitting on a computer desk and will stay there. If you like to play on some poor child's lap ... OH ... oh I see, natural mistake on my part of course.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Oh this is too good to pass up. I'll buy it. The opportunity to blow you cretins out of the sky with a Me109-F's 15mm o' love brings a tear of joy to my eye.<hr></blockquote> Pay attention will you Geier? This is IL-2, EASTERN FRONT? If you want to fly over the Med you'll have to wait or get a mod for EAW. And besides I don't think the Brits put up much of an AIR fight for Crete. The ground of course was a different mattr. <blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I had decided that my simming days were over but this one looks very neat. How is the AI? Can you stall wings independently? Can you set up arenas for Pengers only? How would you rate the flight model?<hr></blockquote> Me too Geier, I'd about had it with flight sims but WOW! I and many others have frequently just WATCHED the action rather than playing, what a gorgeous game. The AI is quite good thank you very much, sometimes too good. The rear gunners are absolutely deadly (something that's being hotly debated right now and may ... I hope ... be patched) if you spend one second sitting on their tail. The wings stall independently and has led to much gnashing of teeth about high speed stalls in turns. Stalls, spins, flat spins {shudder}. I'm no expert on flight models by any means but the consensus is that it's the best that's been done. It can be played TCP/IP, in a dedicated Ubi-Soft arena (which is rumored to suck), Hyper-Lobby (which is quite good) and some place else I can't remember.

We can do anything we like I suspect. I'd love to get a group of Pengers together on this one with voice comms.

Finally, my system is in dire need of an upgrade (PIII 450, 256 RAM and a VooDoo3 and it STILL runs quite well).

Joe

{yep, I edited ...Will you do YOUR part and edit YOUR posts?}

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Joe Shaw ]</p>

Mr. Peng's Hunan restaurant is to Chinese food what CMBO is to wargaming. Both Ethan and I had a whale of a time, ate too much of the gorgeous stuff he peddles, chatted with Mr. Peng, and were thorougly glad that he is no relative of our Mr. Peng.

Pay attention will you Geier? This is IL-2, EASTERN FRONT? If you want to fly over the Med you'll have to wait or get a mod for EAW. <hr></blockquote>

If you don't think they had Friedrichs on THE EASTERN FRONT you've been reading the wrong books.

On this page it is included. Or aren't any German AC flyable? Hard to tell from that list.

(edited to add that I'm now off to get plastered and explain how stupid Marines are to my old friend the fresh Marine.)

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Geier ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Geier:

If you don't think they had Friedrichs on THE EASTERN FRONT you've been reading the wrong books.

On this page it is included. Or aren't any German AC flyable? Hard to tell from that list.

(edited to add that I'm now off to get plastered and explain how stupid Marines are to my old friend the fresh Marine.)

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Geier ]<hr></blockquote>Okay I think we need to get rid of all the ferriners around here. I don't care if Geier is a full blown (don't even THINK about it Bauhaus) Swede or not, he really should have been able to pick up on the CRETE / cretin line. Do I have to explain EVERYTHING?

As to flyable aircraft, you have at least the following, don't quote me:

IL-2 (numerous variants)

MiG 3 (several variants)

LaaG 3 (some variants)

La5FN (is that a variant of the LaaG3?)

P-39 (some variants but it bobs around like a damned cork)

Yak 1 - 9 (not sure of the number but some variants)

BF-109 F,G (some variants)

FW-190 A4 - A5 (some variants)

In addition there are TONS of off the wall and unusual UNFLYABLE aircraft and technically you can even fly those, just not from the cockpit. Not to mention all manner of tanks, vehicles and so forth. Rumor has it that TANK fights in this are pretty cool if you manage to get the right camera on them.

I'm no expert on flight sims or even WW2 aircraft, but I'm enjoying it tremendously. Now if we could just get a CessPool group going ...

Joe

And the Orcs, don't forget the Orcs ... though they MAY have imported the lot from Australia.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, if you paid attention to the film instead of dozing off just as LoTR commenced, you would have noticed the noble, enlightened race of the Elves were Aussie imports.

Of course, that's evident by the cool, precise combat moves of the SES (Special Elf Service) at film's start, as they deal with the millions of SSNs..sorry, I mean Orcs.

Only Aussies can fight like that!

Mace

PS Wish me luck, I'm about to dwelve into Tolkien Groginess by reading the Silmarillion. Should I take supplies?

Actually, if you paid attention to the film instead of dozing off just as LoTR commenced, you would have noticed the noble, enlightened race of the Elves were Aussie imports.<hr></blockquote>

Oh, you mean those light footed fops who wore tights and appeared to have no interest in the opposite sex, driving their women to seek solace from another species?

What an accurate observation.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

Oh, you mean those light footed fops who wore tights and appeared to have no interest in the opposite sex, driving their women to seek solace from another species?

What an accurate observation.<hr></blockquote>Ouch, that one's gonna leave a mark in the morning. Btw, there pal, before you get too carried away with sending maps to OGSF and so forth, perhaps we should discuss what to populate the map WITH!

Joe

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

What an accurate observation.<hr></blockquote>

Yes my observation (as usual) was accurate, shame yours missed the mark completely.

Mace

I'm no expert on flight sims or even WW2 aircraft, but I'm enjoying it tremendously. Now if we could just get a CessPool group going ...

Joe<hr></blockquote>

I would, but some arse just bought out the last one in the entire DC area... or at least the one place I have looked.

He really should have been able to pick up on the CRETE / cretin line. <hr></blockquote>

Oh. Is that what "they" call a pune, or, a play on words? Never ate one of those before.

Now for some off-topic free advice:

1. Buy and read "Fighter Combat" by Robert L. Shaw, published by Naval Institute Press. It explains the basics of fighter to fighter combat, from Ball and Richthofens days through Erich Hartmann to today. All you need to know, but hard to digest. A decent energy fighter beats all turnfighters any day of the week.

2. To kill planes with tailgunners. Get behind and below. Worked from 1916 and onwards. If a tailgunner can hit you while his ac is rolling (to get a firing solution or to avoid you) they need to fix it.

3. Get close. Then get even closer. Fire when you see the other guys nasal hair.

Sorry for going off-topic there.

Turns out tonight.

Johan

(J5Geier on the IL2 forum)