CMAK any good?

Tiger

Soldier,

Infantry combat is still in the CMBB style, which may be a con or a pro.

The demo maps aren't great, IMHO.

Of course, I'm buying it anyway (even though its OS9).

Suffice it to say... I'm waiting for CMXII

[ December 18, 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Mbjvx ]

I've gone from CMBO -> CMBB -> CMAK (like a lot of folks here) and I like CMAK better than CMBB, it has more of a CMBO "feel" to it smile.gif

It's not as arcade-like as CMBO and the infantry are a bit more fragile, but it's a cracking game all the same.

Though (IMHO of course) the graphics engine is now starting to show it's age. I'm looking forward to the new engine!

Alex.

I like the Italian setting, the African maps dont offer the manoeuvrist many options so I stay clear of them. The Italian setting has a CMBO/CMBB hybrid feel. Well worth it for the Commonwealth troop/AFV selections once again.

Game play is CMBB although things dont seem to hit their targets as frequently? Does anyone esle get this impression?

Think CMBO with a 2 cups of easy routing, a heaped spoonful of suppression all topped off with a large plate of dust.

Well I think it is worth the price , although I own CMBB , I just couldn’t get into it all that much.

Fun game and I liked all the fine tunning that

went into it and there is the fact that the ruskies had the major battles and all but , this is the one I had been waiting for. I love that CMBO feel plus all the fine tunning . It may be a bit dated but it still has elegance and sophistication. The best combat simulator around. (none FPS that is)

You might as well just get it now , and stat having some fun. you know you want to.

BnickB

Im clearly a newbie here.

What I have found is that the allied units are a bit upgraded (probaly just in my eyes since noone else have mentioned that).

Now Shermans actually can battle it out with Panzer III N/L on about equall terms. ..that has never happened to me in the pervious CMs.

And did I mention....I LOVE the archers!!

Their the Allied answer to the Hetzers (not armour wise offcourse).

What else can you get for your $35 these days? Two movie tickets and a couple bags of popcorn? An overpriced T-shirt at Abacrombie & Fitch?

With CMAK your $35 buys you five years of 3-D desert warfare; the chance to see an Italian CV33 mini-tankette catch fire and blow up; 25 pounder artillery fire blasting a mountain top; Infantry assaulting a trench in a night raid; an Elefant heavy tank destroyer as it appears through the morning fog... This is one cool game, even if you've played the other CM games ad nausuim.

Admittedly in CMAK you won't see people run down by sports cars, or blood pumping from the neck of your musclebound opponent, or health crystals hidden under waterfalls. But is that a bad thing? ;)

[ December 19, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Soldiers,

I think the biggest factor in CMAK (and CMBB for that matter) was the quality of the maps. The first CMBB demo map (soviet's defending at Kursk) was excellent and really changed the focus of the game (I imediatly felt that this was no longer CMBO)... where as the full included maps were for the majority, uninspired and silly.

CMAK suffers the same fate for the demo in my mind, where Dan's senerio is not half bad, but Rune's doesn't really grip me.

Just a shout out to Dan on this one: I'm buying CMAK because of your senerio.

(of course, Steve should note that I bought CMBB becuase of his map).

Tiger,

I still use all your ( armor ) CMBO mods. It's good to see you back.

Thanks but I havent modded for CM in a long long time. I don't think I'd know where to start, all the new stuff looks so awesome anyway. I lost all of my old mods and have nothing of them :(

I'm going to pick up CMAK when I see it in the stores I reckon.

-Tiger

Originally posted by Tiger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Tiger,

I still use all your ( armor ) CMBO mods. It's good to see you back.

Thanks but I havent modded for CM in a long long time. I don't think I'd know where to start, all the new stuff looks so awesome anyway. I lost all of my old mods and have nothing of them :(

I'm going to pick up CMAK when I see it in the stores I reckon.

I still have all your mods

-Tiger </font>

I really like CMAK. It brings the advances of CMBB back to the west front, with a few nice tweaks to the engine and graphics that are better than CMBB by a good bit and MUCH better than BO.

It also is massive in scale, with units and vehicles ranging from 1941-1945. If you don't like desert fighting then relocate to Tunisia (arid, rocky hills) or Italy/Europe. I bought the game the moment it came out and can't imagine not owning it.

Soldiers,

IMHO; CMBB would have been better had it only covered a single time frame, say, Combat Mission: Operation Citadel or something. The massive scale of the entire eastren front turned me off the game (though there are some excellent battles for it, I find the huge scale hard to come to grips with). CMAK, I like the smaller scale, and the Italian levels are definately more interesting then the desert levels (brings back CMBO memories).